Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

scrapping in the tropics, but my heart belongs in Wales arianwen's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)

Frustrated ..what am I doing wrong?

I have got quite a few rub ons (lettering, flowers etc) and I am getting thoroughly frustrated with either having to rub so hard it dents the paper and even then most of the time doesn't transfer the whole image. Also sometimes the image sticks to the paper but won't detach from the backing paper and ends up tearing my LO.

Or there are the rub ons that you only have to touch lightly by mistake and I get bits of rub ons that I don't want on the LO and therefore wasting them.

Thinking of binning the whole lot and going and buying some great stamps and a load of embossing powder etc (not the same thing I know but )

This life is more than just a read through..... Nics's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (12)
    I've found this too... it does seem to vary greatly by manufacturer ( think I've spelt that incorrectly! but hey ho!)

have found which ones I like to use as these seem to a) rub on easily without damaging your paper/card and b) don't seem to detach just by looking at them!!

My personal faves are Doodlebug, Gin X , MM and the BG wholy cow ones.... love me rubons me!!

Sprinkle a little happiness wherever you go Hils's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (17)
    It might be the brand you are using - some work really well (eg MM and BG) and others, erm, not so well.
    To stop the problem of them being where you don't want them to be, do you cut the rub-ons off the sheet? Cos that's the best way of only using the ones you want - and keep the backing paper on them until you are 100% ready to stick them on
    Hils

So many ideas, so little time .... Mole's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    I've heard that some rub-ons transfer more easily if they're warm - so try putting them near a radiator fo a bit before using them. I've not tried this so don't know if it works or not! Deifferent brands seem to behave in different ways, so it takes a bit of trial and error getting it right, I've found.

Member of the BLUE BRADS and SCRAP & TICKLE teams.
    http://molescreations.blogspot.com/

This life is more than just a read through..... Nics's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (12)
    Another tip that was shared at Scrappers paradise was... to cut out the rubon AND the backing sheet while still in the cellophane packet ( for the ones that are) If you know what I mean... that way the backing paper doesn't move around/come loose..

OK that doesn't sound like it makes sense.. hope you can fathom out what I mean!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (8)
    Ooooh I rub ons

I cut the one I want out from the sheet and plae it where I want it. Now make sure you remove the thich sheet of plastic. I didnt notice it once.
    Now rub all over..then at one corner gently lift while rubbing, as you lift keep rubbing just behind the area being lifted and it should work. If they are really cold i find them harder to use.

hope that helps

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Mole
    I've heard that some rub-ons transfer more easily if they're warm - so try putting them near a radiator fo a bit before using them.

Shouldn't be a problem for me living where I do

have just had a fight with dh about who gets the fan pointing at them, I lost cos dh pointed out that I would be complaining it was blowing all my stuff around

Thanks for the advice, think some of my rub ons go back a while, think they have had their day

View Gallery

So glad to see this thread. I tried a rub-one from a batch I'd got from Q-V-C on the front of a card, and no matter how hard I rubbed or how gently I lifted the edge it stayed stuck fast to the front sheet and lifted the top surface of the card instead! I haven't had another try since then, as I wouldn't want to risk ruining a LO, but now I think I'll have a go with one of my other brands...

So many ideas, so little time .... Mole's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    Quote Originally Posted by arianwen
    Shouldn't be a problem for me living where I do

have just had a fight with dh about who gets the fan pointing at them, I lost cos dh pointed out that I would be complaining it was blowing all my stuff around

Thanks for the advice, think some of my rub ons go back a while, think they have had their day

Hadn't spotted your location!
    Maybe your rub-ons have got cooked onto the sheet!

Member of the BLUE BRADS and SCRAP & TICKLE teams.
    http://molescreations.blogspot.com/

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Mole
    Hadn't spotted your location!
    Maybe your rub-ons have got cooked onto the sheet!
    Probably

I keep them in a plastic sealed A4 wallet with some of those silica gel little bag things you get in shoe boxes to try and keep the humidity at bay, don't know if it works though

Family History Fanatic. stillscrapping's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (23)
    The best ones I have ever used are TLC ones. For some reason they are brilliant!!

Julie
    Julie.

Follow your arrow where ever it points

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (46)
    I sometimes find if the surface i'm leaning on is too soft then it dents the paper.....
    Debbie

Eco CJ

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I am besotted with the Doodlebug rub-ons, but find all rub-ons easier if you use a rub-on tool rather than a lollipop stick. Doodlebug do one which is quite cheap and I always use it with rub-ons and (touch wood - don't want to tempt fate!) haven't had any problems since I started using it.

Vikki
    www.capturethemagic.biz
    See you at AP!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Letraset do fantasic rubons, they come off really easily but not easily enough so you end up with bits all over the place! They do great rubon photo corners as well, I used some on my Greece LO.

Layouts in April: - Total Points: 100
    SLO: 8 DLO: 1 Minibooks: 0 Team Challenges: 0
    My Blog