Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)

feeling stupidly excited

there is a thread in the templates section about Inkscape- I've just downloaded and tried it out and really seems to be our "missing link". Thanks to bibi for her fantastic tutorial - go give it a go ladies. On its own it is a fantastic little graphics program and amazingly it's free! I can see I'm not going to get much other work done this afternoon!
    Susibi

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    hi susibi
    i have opened the winzip to my desktop...when i open it from there lots of different folders come up.how do you put it onto the desktop so when i open it it is just the progamme that opens...hope you know what i mean...lol
    thanks

angela xx

Loving Life on UKScrappers BevS97's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (7)
    I just tried the same angela and had the same problem. I have now looked on the inkscape website and there is a differnet download that works much easier

http://www.inkscape.org/download.php

click on the windows.exe option and it will download and install itself for you

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

there is a black mushroom (Blob?) icon somewhere there - click on that and it'll install. A while back I'd gone onto a peel off site and downloaded a few of their demonstration images of the peel offs I'd ordered - just as a test I thought I'd try vectorising them to be able to cut them in gold foil - well, what a mess none of the programs I tried gave me an anywhere decent image - all lines and dots and no matter how I cleaned I couldn't get a good image. I tried in inkscape and got a pin precise image. Fantastic. Obviously can't print images for copyright reasons but as you know peel offs can be very intricate and this turned up trumps. When you get the image into Robo Master it will come up as a mixture ( for me) of black and turqoise cut lines for some reason. All I did was group the image and while it was selected chose black as my line colour, saved and then have a fantastic black lined image. Really must stop gushing - but I've managed to do in 2 hours what I'd not managed in months
    Big Grin
    Susibi

View Gallery

Ignore my advice about the windows option, that doesn't have the dxf bit in it.

From the original download, the program is the 9 meg file called Inkscape - just run it, no install seems to be needed

View Gallery

The Inkscape file link as been adapted for the Robo Craft machine and it is not installed on your computer. Just leave the folder on your Desktop, or wherever you downloaded it to, open it up and run the .exe from there. This is an experimental file and so far everyone has had great results from using it. If you download the one from the main website then you are not getting the Craft Robo update, and this file will install on your computer, but if it doesn't do the job, why install it?

As a computer tutor myself I know that you don't always need programs to be installed on your computer in order to run.

So in my opinion, just use the updated one from the link. This is the information given on the Wishblade group. There is also a tutorial on the latest version of Inkscape for Robo Craft users.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

sorry - didn't really reply to your question. When I download I download to a folder in My documents so i know where everything is so all i did was go there, click on the blobby icon and it installed. I have a folder on my desktop called 'graphics where all my icons for opening my graphics programs are and I just right clicked on the blob and sent an icon there.
    Got so carried away before - hope this answers your question!
    Susibi

View Gallery

OK this all looks fab, except I can't find the dxf file it has supposedly savd - it says it has saved it but it's not in the folder when I go to open it again. Anyone else had this issue?

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

yes - I did the first time strangely enough - just went back, did it again and all the others were fine. Also when you save it asks you if you're sure as dxf will lose data etc - I just say save again and it saves these are the only strange glitches . I did make a file in my CR templates folder called Inkscape images and save to that so i have all the dxf and the inkscape editable files in the same place then I load the dxf and save as gsd directly into my CR folder. But then - I'm complicated over some things!!!
    Susibi

View Gallery

OK - that works now, not sure why but I closed it and opened it again and it let me save it this time

That looks quite good. Any tips on how to do connected text?

View Gallery

OOps, I didn't read the rest of the tutorial, the ttf instructions are there too!

View Gallery

OOh, haven't actually cut it yet,but have followed the instructions and created a connected word, and a mat for it - very very easy!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

try using the calligraphy tool to write something then follow the tutorial for the welded word - works a treat! Somehow seems too easy to be true!!
    Susibi

View Gallery

thanks for the help
    it looks a little like open office if im right.....away for a play the now..hope it works

angela xx

View Gallery

having troble opening the tutorial.it comes up that you have to buy picozip...how did you all get it to open up to the tutorial??
    been having a play around with the actual inkscape....but seems so much going one here cant make head or tail of it the now

angela x