Love & Marriage

by Mary Buttons

Reflecting

by tigerlady

Oh Happy Day

by Wear Crafts

Boston

by AnniB

Go Back   UKScrappers > UKScrappers > Inspiration and Challenges > & now for something completely different

Notices

& now for something completely different A new class from Shimelle

Shimelle.Com

Reply Reply

Old 10-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
shimelle
I ❤ Scrapbooking
- Banner Ad Sponsor -

Trader Rating: (3)
ANFSCD 02 :: Get Ready!

Welcome to the second edition of And Now For Something Completely Different... and it's time to choose your supplies! Don't be alarmed by the very pink colour scheme above: this month, one of your choices is the colour you would like to use. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

For February, you will need at least one and no more than six photos, and they should be 4x6 landscape (horizontal) images to work best. If you really need to mix in some portraits, you will want to print them at a smaller size so they are not taller than the landscapes - so you could print them at up to 4" tall (or smaller). Choosing one or six will work but leave you with the least flexibility - choosing a number in between will give you a happy medium! (Of course you could choose to add or subtract photos as you create your project.)

For your supplies, gather:
2 patterned papers: single colour patterns and in the same colour - but you can choose any colour you like. I've used the Echo Park Style Essentials range, which has chevrons, swirls and other non-themed patterns in a rainbow of colours. You could choose grid, polka dot, stripe or other shapes in the patterns, but try to limit yourself to just one colour and make sure you have at least two patterns in that colour.

3 cardstock sheets: three neutrals that work with the colour you have chosen. I'm using black, white and grey. With blue or green patterned paper, you might prefer dark brown, kraft and cream, for example. But three neutral solid colours, preferably that have that contrast of something light, something dark and something in between those two.

Letter stickers that match your in between shade of cardstock. I'm using grey foam Thickers - you can choose any style you like though!

Tape: part of this month's something different includes giving tape a try. Washi or paper tape is easier to work with than the clear printed tapes that are more like cello tape, so if possible, try to choose a washi or paper tape option. I'm using the black and white dot tape from the Smash line.

Border punch: choose a border punch design you like and that isn't too specific or will go with your photos. (Obviously a spider web border punch won't work with your Easter photos... unless you have a REAL story to tell us!) I'm using the Jester border punch by Jenni Bowlin for Fiskars.

Brads: plain brads will work but fancy brads are prettier - choose what is best for the theme of your photos. I'm using white pearl brads by American Crafts - a few other manufacturers make essentially the same product and it's often found with wedding craft supplies, by the way! (Though AC do offer them in more colours than just white, if that's relevant to your supply choices!)

Finishing touches: for this last bit of embellishment, you'll want to choose something that works for your theme, as obviously rose ribbon won't work for everything! I'm using that rose ribbon and black tulle netting - so if you have a feminine page theme in any way, that could certainly work and both come in plenty of colours so you could choose what you liked. If that doesn't suit at all, you could choose plainer ribbons, or something more rustic, like twine or burlap, or you could use fabric scraps. Basically you're looking for something that can add texture, so keep that in mind and then get as creative as you like!

Okay - that's all for now! Any questions, go ahead and ask! Otherwise I'll see you at 10:20 on the 20th for this month's step by step project!

Old 10-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
daisychain888
Just call me DC8!!

Trader Rating: (14)
Can't see the pic yet (but that's because I'm at work on my lunch and often can't see pics )will have a look again when I get home but the supplies list is very intriguing and I already think I know which pps etc to use, thanks Shimelle
When will i see you, again...
Old 10-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
Mrs Cheshire
Mummy to 2 gorgeous boys and memory keeper/scrapbooker

Trader Rating: (29)
ooh loving the look of this one!
Mrs Cheshire is offline Click for members Gallery  
Stash Busting Begins
Old 10-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
JuliaMac
Dedicated Scrapper

Trader Rating: (3)
Oooooo very exciting I have some Tim Holtz Paper tape that I havent used yet and dont know what to do with it! Excellent! :-)

Exeter Scrapaholics Club Organiser
JuliaMac is offline Click for members Gallery   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
flossyjamba
this is my cat Lilo

Trader Rating: (31)
Got mine ready. Green patterned papers with brown Kraft and cream card stock, plus my only roll of washi tape (yellow). I reckon it's gonna be a double layout!!!
flossyjamba is offline Click for members Gallery   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
arimum_123
Still scrapping to avoid the ironing

Trader Rating: (8)
Paper tape is about the only item I don't have - and probably won't buy as I have already spent too much on craft stuff this year. (Yes I am talking about just the last 6 weeks!) Distress reinkers, spray bottles for them, stamps by the dozen, acrylic paint etc has cleared me out.

I must have some thin paper I can cut into thin strips somewhere as a substitute. Looking forward to this project. The last one inspired me to do a layout with LOADS of stitching on - I'd never even tried it before (can't usually get a button to stay on!)

Louise x
arimum_123 is offline Click for members Gallery   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
EmmGee
Card maker/journaller

Trader Rating: (0)
Print your own!

It is possible to print - ie stamp - on to Micropore tape for a similar effect to washi tape. Worth a try, at a fraction of the cost and you can ring the changes.

EmmGee
EmmGee is offline Click for members Gallery   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
arimum_123
Still scrapping to avoid the ironing

Trader Rating: (8)
Thanks! With 3 kids micropore tape is something I do have plenty of. Have a nice spotty backgound stamp that might work - will experiment tomorrow.

Louise x

Last edited by arimum_123; 11-02-2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: shocking spelling!
arimum_123 is offline Click for members Gallery   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #9
magsellis
Joie de Scrap

Trader Rating: (18)
Thanks EmmGee for the tip as I don't have tape either...

Exciting Shimmelle, can't wait for the tutorial!!
magsellis is offline Click for members Gallery   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:05 AM   #10
CLAIRELVICK
Dedicated Scrapper

Trader Rating: (5)
oooh this all looks very exciting Shimelle! Can't wait to see what you do
Old 11-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #11
Funky Farm Scrapbook Barn
Dedicated Scrapper
- Tier One Sponsor -

Hello!
We've got several items which you might like for Shimelle's latest tutorial/challenge if you fancy buying some lovely new crafty stash or are looking for something in particular!!!

We've several paper collections some of which are reduced white might suit:

The first one which is probably the most suitable is Echo Park's Dots & Stripes: There are several colourways to choose from including pinks, yellow, mango orange, blue raspberry and chocolate! You can find the papers and sticker sheets (including alpha stickers) HERE

Bo Bunny have several gorgeous cardstock styles including Flourish, Journal, Dot and Stripe, you could choose two of the patterns from the collections and there are lots of lovely shades! I love the Chiffon Flourish, there's beautiful Passionfruit Flourish, Turquoise, greens, oranges, blues, browns (Chocolate and Coffee) and more! you can find them HERE

My Mind's Eye Lime Twist is reduced and they have some great patterns such as dots, zig zags, stripes and others, they're double sided papers so check out the reverse (in item description) You can find them HERE

We've got lots of cardstock including whites, browns, grey, black, kraft and more HERE plus we have the Bo Bunny cardstock HERE

We've lots of alpha stickers including large and small alphas HERE there's also some Thickers reduced! I personally love the Prima alpha sticker sheets, great value for money!

We've a selection of fancy brads HERE

Border/Edger Punches can be found HERE

Lace and Fancy Trims HERE and ribbon HERE. We've also got several shades of Burlap Twine HERE at great prices!

We've also got some gorgeous rose ribbon trims in two styles and various shades HERE and HERE

Remember you can save 10% off a purchase with the discount code: UKSCRAPPERS

Have fun!
Funky Farm Scrapbook Barn is offline Click for members Gallery   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #12
Kellmorris
Dedicated Scrapper

Trader Rating: (15)
OK I'm ready!

February - monthly card swap
CJ - Kiss Art Journal 2012,UKS Art Journey
Still catching up on 52 questions!
Kellmorris is offline Click for members Gallery   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #13
slhunt8
Dedicated Scrapper

I'm Ready!

I'm ready, too! I even have three sets of pictures ready depending on layout. If it works out well, I may get three layouts done with Shimelle's sketch!
Sharon
slhunt8 is offline Click for members Gallery   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 05:21 AM   #14
scrapnanny
Dedicated Scrapper

Trader Rating: (43)
Masking tape is good to stamp on and paint as well, I am going to sort out some stash today.
Old 14-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #15
magsellis
Joie de Scrap

Trader Rating: (18)
Ready to go too!! Can't wait!!
Off to print photos now
magsellis is offline Click for members Gallery   Reply With Quote
Reply Reply