My Studio

by Jane

Jenkins and Parkin

by Beanpie11

Inspirational Quotes

by stillcrafting

Go Back   UKScrappers > Retail Therapy > BIG Store Deals

Notices

BIG Store Deals Big Store Deals is only for chain stores. Stores that have only one location or are solely scrapbooking stores may not be discussed here.
This is for Craft and Scrapping goodies only

eBay is NOT a BSD and is NOT allowed

It is not for sponsor threads, but if sponsors carry the same item at a competitive price they may say so in the thread. Also allowed are TV shopping channels. EBay sales and shops, are not allowed unless they are sponsor shops posting under the guidelines above. DO NOT report posts that fall under these guidelines. Hobby Craft posts ARE allowed if they are special sale deals, not just regular prices, but if they are too frequent we will re-asses this. A special word about the QVC shopping channel - there is ONE thread for them. Please post all related posts as a reply in this thread. DO NOT start a new one - it will be removed or merged.
Please DO NOT post links to QVC or C&C products on their sites - add an image

We are now allowing limited discussion of USA shopping here. Please see the rules in Announcements regarding this.
Please DO NOT post asking people to PM you or that you have PMed them for info that is not allowed to be posted. Read the FAQ on this

Kalulu

Reply Reply

Old 08-09-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
Sparkler
Dedicated Scrapper

Trader Rating: (25)
ALDI - Delta mini sewing machine

I just saw these at my local Aldi for £14.99. I've been looking for an inexpensive machine which I can use just for card and paper. My large machine won't work on paper and card

Does anyone have one of these and is it any good? I couldn't see what sort of stitches it will do, but I only really need to do a simple straight stitch.
Sparkler is offline Click for members Gallery   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
welshwren
Dedicated Scrapper

Trader Rating: (1)
I haven't tried one but I have found Aldis to be excellent with any faulty electrical products, so I would buy it and take it back if you aren't happy with it.
Old 15-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
supersara2001
Dedicated Scrapper

Trader Rating: (0)
I'd be interested to hear if anyone did buy it, I saw it myself this morning and for only 15 I'm very tempted! I don't own a sewing machine yet, and would be learning so I'm hoping it would be suitable. It should be able to sew fabric surely?! I'm not planning on using many thick fabrics, and there's a sewing machine at my Mams I could use for that instead. I've had my eye on the John Lewis mini sewing machines for 50 up until now!
supersara2001 is offline Click for members Gallery   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
susanroscoe
Dedicated Scrapper

Bought one yesterday to keep in the motorhome for simple repairs and at 15 with a 3 year warranty it is a steal!

I wasn't expecting much for 15 but have to say that it is very good. It has a mains adapter and can work off batteries (4 x AA's). It has a built in light and worked straight out of the box (which is more than could be said for my Brother Galaxy 3000) and even has a foot switch.

It sews a perfect straight single stich (that is all it does)and the tension is spot on. Comes with a couple of bobbins and a spare needle and threader.

I have tried it on thick paper and light card just to see if it would pierce and it does.

It's a cracking little machine and if you do not like it after trying it, take it back to Aldi within 30 days and get a refund.

I
susanroscoe is offline Click for members Gallery   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
pie-eater
Live and Let Live!

I read this thread yesterday and mentioned it to DH in passing then forgot about it. He went shopping this morning and got me one! I'm off work at the moment with a foot injury and he thought it might cheer me up. It has too. I've got a big sewing machine but it's a faff to get it out and I've kept meaning to try stitching on paper but never got round to it. I got it out of the box and there was already thread in it so he got me some pp and I had a go. I'm really pleased, I just had it perched on my knee while I'm sat on the couch with my foot raised and I was stitching away! OK it just does running stitch and you can't alter the size of the stitch but for the price and portability it's great. It's small enough to leave out so it's easy to just pick it up and use it when you want to. That's a plus for me as I'm impatient (some would say lazy!) and get fed up rooting through drawers and boxes etc looking for stuff when I want to make something. So if you're thinking about getting one I would go for it.

Maggie Pie
pie-eater is offline Click for members Gallery   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
caz890
Dedicated Scrapper

Trader Rating: (50)
OOOhhhh going to Toys R Us on Saturday, our nearest Aldi isnt too far out of the way on that trip, so may just pop in and see if they have any left
Old 16-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #7
CreativeLC
Loves to scrap

Its sounds good my sewing machine has broken and i can't work out how to fix it so this might be a good solution.
CreativeLC is offline Click for members Gallery   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #8
CreativeLC
Loves to scrap

I popped in and picked one up today, just had a little go on it and it looks good
Thanks OP
CreativeLC is offline Click for members Gallery   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:35 PM   #9
Magdalene

Anybody help me?

Hi, I have just bought the Delta mini sewing machine. I never had any, just a decade ago I was trying something on my mums machine (with not much success, I know just basics). I need to learn how to sew so I wanted something cheap and simple. Now I am having a trouble with the stitch: it looks fine on the top but the bottom is losened. I read the manual and learned that if I increase the tension, the bottom line will tighten as well. But I tried to turn the tension dial both directions several times (from the highest tension to lowest) each time trying new row of stitches but they keep looking the same no matter of tension.
What am I doing wrong? Pls, help, if it does not work I will have to take the wee thing back, which I really dont want to do
Magdalene is offline Click for members Gallery   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:04 PM   #10
genierose
Dedicated Scrapper

Trader Rating: (7)
Hi Magdalene, when you thread up the machine make sure you have the needle in the highest position and the presser foot up too. Once you are ready to thread the needle you can put the presser foot down as this sets the tension for the top thread. If you have the needle or foot down while you thread the top the tension won't be correct. Hope this helps.
genierose is offline Click for members Gallery   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #11
Magdalene

Tried

I did it as you told me but there is still no difference in the stitch :-((( Tightened or not it still looks the same. The needle was on its highest and the tension wheel tightened on maximum. The stitch seems to hold, but I dont know if it also will after using the thing for a while.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #12
wombat
Pam Thorburn

Trader Rating: (9)
you usually tighten the underneath stitch on most machines by tightening a little screw on the bobbin case. You should be able to hold the bobbin thread without the bobbin thread unwinding. The thread should unwind a bit if you jerk the thread. (All with the bobbin out of the machine!) Don't know if it's the same on this machine though.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:29 PM   #13
Eileen C
Dedicated Scrapper

Trader Rating: (9)
And check the needle isn't (almost imperceptively) bent. I've spent forever trying to sort out tensions on machines, even paying for a service until I learnt to check the needle (by replacing it with a spare) before doing anything else. Usually (OK, not always) works like a dream ...
Old 15-10-2011, 10:02 PM   #14
Magdalene

Better

I tried to rethread again incl. the bottom thread and it seem better. Thanks all :-)
Reply Reply