Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (32)

Melt Pots and Crazy Idea ... Ummmm......

Having tripped over pavement, landed on face, rescued by 2 school children in police uniform, taken home in a cop car and arriving covered in blood with them yelling "let that be a lesson to you" (joke, JOKE!) to the incredulity of the neighbours, to cut a long story short, I have been watching QVC all day.

Anyhoo, I have been lusting after a melt pot for UTEE for a while, but not the price, and one was demonstrated today. I need one. But, not at that price and not for the odd occasion I absolutely need one.

So, aided and abetted by the medicinal brandy, I have cooked up an idea.......

Now, I have silicon mini muffin moulds, I have the UTEE, I have a combination microwave - what do you reckon about heating said UTEE in said silicon mould and in said microwave .... ?

Would it work, or, does anyone perhaps have an alternative (cheap!) (safer!) solution to said melt pot?
    Lyn

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    may be worth a read of this thread here
    Ramblings of a Robo Rebel

Forever Memories For You for all you Robo needs

[/FONT]3, That's the magic number. Yes it is, It's the magic number .

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (106)
    I've seen it done on the other shopping channel, where the lady used a heatgun to melt the UTEE in a deep (individual sized) pie dish. She heated from underneath, while holding the pie dish using a crocodile clip on the end of stick.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (89)
    The UTEE and the moulds might be a good idea.................. but the microwave and the UTEE sounds like a disaster waiting to happen!.............I will watch this thread with great interest!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    Quote Originally Posted by NikiB View Post
    may be worth a read of this thread here
    I would suggest reading this as well! I've been doing just this today and it works fine. I used a foil dish from a meat pie, bigger than a mince pie but I could hold it with my fingers.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (13)
    I don't know whether this works with UTEE but it worked with candles. I put the candles in an old pyrex pudding dish and put it into a pan of boiling water. Stir with a metal spoon. Same way you melt chocolate really but not so tasty

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    UTEE needs a higher heat than wax or chocolate, think 160c was mentioned yesterday? I've used a aluminium pie dish quite happily in the past and wont be rushing to buy a meltpot.

As to the microwave option, DONT DO IT. I spent years working at a firm that repaired microwaves and I've seen some nasty damage caused by peeps misusing them. utee doesnt have a water content so would more than likely catch fire and/or damage the main 2 components of the oven.

View Gallery

Thanks for all the replies and especially the microwave - I definitely couldn't be having that, or the damage!

Methinks I am going to give the aluminum case a go ... now where were those pies.....
    Lyn

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (44)
    would a wax pot for waxing unwanted hair work as I got one on grabitnow for £8 and they keep popping up
    Engineer by day..... Scrapper by night!

MY BLOG!
    Girl-racer-scrapper

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (4)
    Excellent! Have read the other post and will definitely be trying it out.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maz-C View Post
    would a wax pot for waxing unwanted hair work as I got one on grabitnow for £8 and they keep popping up

I wouldn't have thought so if, as others have mentioned, the heat needs to be very high I can't imagine putting something that hot onto your skin!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    I use the metal tins left over from pies. Heat the utee from below with a heat gun....sorted.
    Best Wishes
    Tootsie (Diane)

View Gallery

Hmmmm, can't find any pies in the house - good excuse to add to this week's shopping list

I love the idea of a waxpot - I could pretend to husband that it wasn't "another one of those crafting toys"- after all, he wouldn't want to come near me when I heated it up, just in case I might be tempted to "wax" him instead of me!
    Lyn