Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Paper addict extraordinaire Mystik Nat's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)

QuicKutz Letterpress

Over the weekend many of us were very tempted to purchase the new Letterpress kit from QuicKutz.

For those that went ahead and bought it or already have it, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would welcome more info on your experiences plus any tips you've picked up along the way.

I haven't got one yet, but will be watching this thread with interest once I hear more about people's experiences with it.

Letterpress has always been one of my favourite looks in stationery and I would just love to be able to do it to a good standard and without too much faff.

~ Natty ~

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (106)
    Definitely interested in any hints and tips that can be shared

As I mentioned in chat over the weekend, my personal concern is being able to clean it properly - especially as the machine was on sale, with extra plates and inks available as add-ons, but none of the official cleaning cloths to be found anywhere in the UK yet !!!

I really need an alternative that's both cheap and easy to get hold of (without paying as much in postage as I'd pay for the product)

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (33)
    Quote Originally Posted by cw18 View Post
    Definitely interested in any hints and tips that can be shared

As I mentioned in chat over the weekend, my personal concern is being able to clean it properly - especially as the machine was on sale, with extra plates and inks available as add-ons, but none of the official cleaning cloths to be found anywhere in the UK yet !!!

I really need an alternative that's both cheap and easy to get hold of (without paying as much in postage as I'd pay for the product)
    Same, also looking to the letterpress working without the need to buy an epic six or BS so on my cuttlebug.

Exciting ....
    Karen x
    It is better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it
    My Blog Spot

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (11)
    I think one of the sponsors (craft u love) is planning to sell the L Letterpress in January so they may well stock some of the accessories (fingers crossed). I have ordered mine with a epic 6 from craft u love, so fingers crossed it will all work out OK and I won't have cracked plates and lots of mess I can't clean up! Might try a with versafine before cracking open the ink!
    Last edited by Wizbit; 28-12-2009 at 07:53 PM.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (4)
    Thanks for this thread. Me too on the cleaning cloths, I'm trying to find Herma label off as substitute as suggested by Paula it's around the 5 pound mark plus p & p. Hopefully someone will stock the cleaning cloths soon as I would prefer to use them as it's like baby wipes so simple to use - no flaffing around.
    Last edited by Belindy; 28-12-2009 at 07:59 PM. Reason: forgot thanks

Spanish Papercrafter paulapascual's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    I wonder now if any sticky stuff remover will work. I know there was one dirt cheap in one of those shopping catalogues that was great for crafting so it might work as well.
    Paula Pascual
    (Please excuse grammar and spelling mistakes, English is not my first nor second language!)
    My blog
    Crafty Storage Blog

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (79)
    Just loved the professional look of Paula's examples on QVC yesterday. Ordered mine and am looking forward to playing , already have the Epic 6. If it weren't for the 30 day back money guarantee that QVC offers I wouldn't have ordered, definitely gives me peace of mind when ordering something like this.

Dedicated Scrapper Sharon Betts's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (13)
    check out Paula's blog for some good tips. (Hope you don't mind Paula)

View Gallery

cheers Mystic always get confused where is what!

My big sister and me now I am the taller one.

View Gallery

posted by Paula
    Quote:
    I think the Herma H1260 Herma Label Remover 50ml is what I have, as it does say No. 1260 on small print.
    I just had a go now with Un Du Adhesive remover and it is as good as the Herma one. Not sure about pricing, but I think the Un du will be better value.
    Also the other glue that works great for the back of the printing plates is called Aleene's Tack-It Over & Over.
    I will suggest them to QVC, although I dont think they will be able to get them anytime soon, but some craft shops may have them.
    Edited to say:
    I have never used the Stick away, so I cant comment on that. Maybe it is time to get it!

I am sorry I didnt get to address the issues or questions about the machine, I never got them! If someone had pass them on to me I would have tried to answer them in a more clear way.
    But I can address some of them now:
    Cleaning, the best way by far that i have found is using Herma Label Off, maybe other sticky stuff remover also work, but I haven't tried myself. It really works.
    Inks, if you are doing a short run, Brilliance pads and Black versafine work brilliantly, much easier to clean afterwards. For a long run (ie, loads of prints exactly the same, which incidentally is the main purpose of the tool) the letterpress ink with the roller is better.
    Card to use, as long as it is thick and soft will work, something like watercolor paper and 300gsm and above if you want a very deep impression. The one that comes in the kit is extremely thick and soft, so you get amazing results.
    Also,m there was so many things I wanted to mention on air but being the first time ever on live on QVC demonstrating, I wasn't sure if I was allowed to mention certain things.
    And for the record, I think is absolutely brilliant tool. You can also use embossing folders to just print the pattern if you open them up, perfect impression although they wont emboss at the same time.

CW18
    Quote:
    A new pack of wipes apparently weighs 1lb 3.4oz (courtesy of a US friend)

The problem will be the size. I reckon postage might be $12.95 for one pack, but is more likely to be $14.20 -- and that's on a $6.99 pack of wipes

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sharon Betts
    were they selling special card?

They did have some, but I didn't check the prices properly - so just been to look

£20.19 + £4.45 postage for 50 cards (flat for matting onto the front of a card you already have) plus 50 envelopes

On the US site they're RRP $28 (or thereabouts - can't actually find a match for the 5x7" size?), or 'our price' $17.50

Wonder what the RRP will be here in the UK.... If they convert $ to £ as a stright 1-for-1, then the QVC price looks reasonable

Quote:
    The lady who did the footage on the Letterpress I watched (US retailer blog) says the base plate is 1/16th" too wide for her (original, very early) Cuttlebug. But she also said a customer had said it passes through hers (a later model) without any problem. No mention of a need to pass it back-and-forth either

But, given the above, if I was looking at using it with a 'bug I think I'd be seriously worried.....

It works fine in the BS though - she actually demo'd that on-line for us

Norty Crew Team Member Betsy_ Boop's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (3)
    great idea to have a seperate thread

I'll just repost my bit so it doesn't get lost

I've discovered there is a range called Caligo Safe Wash Relief Inks which are suitable for letterpress & wash off with soap & water, so I might give them a go if I decide I like it (and it doesn't go back with cracked plates...)

(If you put "Caligo Safe Wash Relief Inks" in google there is a UK supplier with the same name as Mr Llwelyn-Bowen's first name - they do paper & card suitable for use too, together with better rollers, ink plates etc, if anyone wants to upgrade after reading the boxcar blog)
    Monica
    My Blog

need more stash,need more stash. kipper's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    i have been looking at this for a little while on american blogs and love the look of letterpress, and would love to know more before purchasing one.katharine

View Gallery

yep tried to look through anything that was useful but got bozzed eyed.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    I ordered one as it looked so good, just waiting to see if it goes through my bug now...don't know if mine is and older or newer model!!
    Best Wishes
    Tootsie (Diane)

Spanish Papercrafter paulapascual's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Tootsie, I have one of the older bugs, and it works with it pretty well as long as I feed it through with the open side first forwards, and then, when I reach the hinges, I roll it backwards.
    Paula Pascual
    (Please excuse grammar and spelling mistakes, English is not my first nor second language!)
    My blog
    Crafty Storage Blog