Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Announcements & Help > Announcements

Notices

Thread: Internet issues

just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)

Internet issues

I have been struggling to stay online since BT replaced a pole just down from our house. There is a fault in the underground cable and it need replacing. We've had 3 engineers on site and now BT is saying they are having trouble obtaining "permission" to dig up the road and replace it. I can't seem to stay connected for more than a few minutes at a time, if at all.

At the moment I am using a slower mobile connection but it is temporary.

I've managed to do the Marketplace approvals and apologise for the delay in that. You will note I just approved even replies to posts. That is something I will ask about once my connectivity is repaired - opening up the Marketplace to replies to posts after approval - but wanted to explain why they are there although the banner says they aren't allowed

Anyway, I have been told it will be Monday before I even get any info on when the repair will happen, let alone actually be FIXED, so please bear with me. I will try to use my time online as effectively as I can and try to get the MArketplace posts and PMs sorted as my highest priority.

Cheers

MA

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    How frustrating! I hope they get it fixed quickly for you.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (8)
    MaryAnne, It must be so frustrating for you at the moment. I hope BT get it sorted for you soon

View Gallery

I've been told BT is to dig up and replace the cable today. Fingers crossed.

email comes in whenever the connection is established so anything urgent, please email me

View Gallery

Sorry Sorry Sorry. I am still here. Cable replaced, not a lot better. The line is still showing a fault, is still dropping, and is very very slow. I am expecting another BT engineer early next week, have ordered a new router that gives ME more control that my ISP, and will hope to get sorted out soon. In the meantime, do email me if there is anything that needs urgent attention.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (51)
    Sympathise Mary Ann as we have had similar problems since November and no sign of it being sorted, even though they know what the problem is. It's so frustrating
    12 day of Christmas swap

View Gallery

Temporary fix (engineer yesterday for 5 hours) so I am back online, but surprise, surprise, it seems BT actually just flat out LIED to my ISP about the cable being replaced. The engineer who visited (the 4th one) confirmed there had been no work done, even though the job had been "closed"

He installed a new faceplate, identified a few things my ISP can change that might make the line more stable, but I reset my router's error counter and in something like 5 minutes it had already racked up nearly 300 CRC errors. So not good.

I am concerned this is going to be temporary at best and over time things will deteriorate. My new router has a SIM card slot for a 3G connection (although cell tower coverage in my location isn't great either) so there may be some (imperfect) options.

I will try to deal with anything that has been waiting for me this morning. I'll be speaking to my ISP at 11 and will hope to have more info then.

Cheers and thanks for your patience