Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PixScan Mat

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)

PixScan Mat

I can see why there are no video's, any instructions or reviews that I can find on the internet about using the PixScan mats with a scanner. Unless you have an A3 scanner it does not work. I have just tried and the Portrait mat is too big for my Cannon MG35050 printer scanner to show the registration marks. Yes the PixScan Mat takes A4 card/paper, but my scanner only scans A4. I can get an image on but the software wants all the registration marks too. So I am really disappointed.

Looks like a camera is the only way to go but not the weather here for me to take photos indoors. It's dark and been raining for most of the day.

Just remembered that the software is supposed to join scans together, but I can't find out how to do it. After my scan finished it told me to do it again showing all the left or right side of the mat for registration marks.
    Last edited by Neries; 29-08-2014 at 06:16 PM.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neries View Post
    I can see why there are no video's, any instructions or reviews that I can find on the internet about using the PixScan mats with a scanner. Unless you have an A3 scanner it does not work. I have just tried and the Portrait mat is too big for my Cannon MG35050 printer scanner to show the registration marks. Yes the PixScan Mat takes A4 card/paper, but my scanner only scans A4. I can get an image on but the software wants all the registration marks too. So I am really disappointed.

Looks like a camera is the only way to go but not the weather here for me to take photos indoors. It's dark and been raining for most of the day.

Just remembered that the software is supposed to join scans together, but I can't find out how to do it. After my scan finished it told me to do it again showing all the left or right side of the mat for registration marks.

According to the info on this link the software does it automatically but it doesn't explain how

Norfolk - just at the end of the yellow brick road
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Hi Neries, I used to have a programme called scan and stitch (I think that's what it was called) and it allowed you to scan a large drawing ( i.e A3+) in sections with an overlap and then it assembled all the bits into a copy of the original by matching the overlaps - does that make any sense?! I'm guessing this is the technology the Pixscan is using and I would have thought you would get some kind of on screen prompt when you are scanning, if not you could try scanning with overlaps to see if the software recognises what is needed.

Andi

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by AndiDee View Post
    Hi Neries, I used to have a programme called scan and stitch (I think that's what it was called) and it allowed you to scan a large drawing ( i.e A3+) in sections with an overlap and then it assembled all the bits into a copy of the original by matching the overlaps - does that make any sense?! I'm guessing this is the technology the Pixscan is using and I would have thought you would get some kind of on screen prompt when you are scanning, if not you could try scanning with overlaps to see if the software recognises what is needed.

Andi
    The problem Andi is the mat is too long lengthwise. I tried putting the scan mat in widthwise to do two scans but the error message in Studio is still the same.

"Could not detect PixScan markings. Please rescan the image, ensuring that the entire left or right side of the PixScan mat is visible to the scanner".
    It is impossible to scan the length of the mat in an A4 scanner, it is just too long. There is nothing I can find in the software to calibrate the mat with Studio, only for a camera or am I missing something?

When I googled PixScan a software called Pix Scan came up in the results, so I am wondering if Silhouette are using this software in Studio.

I have filled out the form on the Silhouette US support website, but doubt I will get an answer until at least middle of next week or even the week after. Reading the US Silhouette forum they are not exactly fast in replying even for those involved in the Beta trails for Studio.

View Gallery

Wow had a reply from Silhouette support, but is it me not undering the reply or them not understanding the problem.

Thank you for your alert. If the registration mark reading process on the PixScan™ mat is failing, please re-align the mat with the left edge of the mat touching the loading guide mark, but not covering it. The edge of the mat must be just to the right of the mark (rather than covering the mark or loaded slightly too far to the left). This should correct the concern.

If continued concerns are met, please send us an image of the PixScan™ mat and how it appears as it is being loaded so we can explore this further.
    My reply:-

Thanks for your promp reply BUT I can't even get as far as Studio reading the registration marks.

I can not get Studio to scan in an image as the PixScan mat is too long for my Canon MG3505 printer/scanner. Error message is:-

"Could not detect PixScan markings. Please rescan the image, ensuring that the entire left or right side of the PixScan mat is visible to the scanner"

The scan mat is too long for me to scan and the software will not join two scans together changing the orientation as it wants the length of the mat to be in one scan not the width.

View Gallery

Wow had a reply from Silhouette support, but is it me not undering the reply or them not understanding the problem.
    Thanks for the update even though they haven't solved the problem please can you let us know of any further developments Margaret?

View Gallery

A little sucess. My A4 scanner will scan most of the Cameo Pixscan Mat and because the shorter side is on the left Studio accepts the scan and adds the right side registration mark. But I only have the first 7in of my image sheet.

What I have not been able to do is scan the right side as the hindges on my scanner are in the way to slide the mat through to scan the left side of the mat. As it is a printer/scanner the hindges are on the longer side of the scanner and will only lift so far to put a book under.

What I have of the image I was able to auto trace. Did not try and cut it as it's a pre-printed decoupage sheet and I want all of it.

Tried with my trusty Fuji Finepix J100 camera and it would not calibrate at all. So I am wondering if you can only use a phone camera. I do have a Samsung phone but it's not on the list of pre-calibrated cameras in Studio.

View Gallery

A little sucess. My A4 scanner will scan most of the Cameo Pixscan Mat and because the shorter side is on the left Studio accepts the scan and adds the right side registration mark. But I only have the first 7in of my image sheet.

What I have not been able to do is scan the right side as the hindges on my scanner are in the way to slide the mat through to scan the left side of the mat. As it is a printer/scanner the hindges are on the longer side of the scanner and will only lift so far to put a book under.

What I have of the image I was able to auto trace. Did not try and cut it as it's a pre-printed decoupage sheet and I want all of it.

Tried with my trusty Fuji Finepix J100 camera and it would not calibrate at all. So I am wondering if you can only use a phone camera. I do have a Samsung phone but it's not on the list of pre-calibrated cameras in Studio.
    My Huawei phone picture wasn't accepted Margaret but my Fuji Finepix was. I would try with your phone it cant do any harm...all it does is try to recognise it.
    Last edited by DJG; 30-08-2014 at 06:52 PM.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by DJG View Post
    My Huawei phone picture wasn't accepted Margaret but my Fuji Finepix was. I would try with your phone it cant do any harm...all it does is try to recognise it.
    Doreen which Finepix camer is it and what settings were you using? I don't understand why it would not accept my camera images of the mat as it takes good photos of my cards. I tried it on normal and macro setting. On auto it did not put the flash on, which I thought was a good thing. It is dull and overcast outside, but I was taking the pictures in our sunroom, which is why the flash did not come on.

Back to watching Youtube I think.

View Gallery

Doreen which Finepix camer is it and what settings were you using? I don't understand why it would not accept my camera images of the mat as it takes good photos of my cards. I tried it on normal and macro setting. On auto it did not put the flash on, which I thought was a good thing. It is dull and overcast outside, but I was taking the pictures in our sunroom, which is why the flash did not come on.

Back to watching Youtube I think.
    It says AX500 on the disc that came with it and I just turned it on didn't bother with changing any settings and like you said no flash. I did have to crop it slightly. I took several photos and chose what I thought was the best. I read this on CleverSomeday's blog Note that the image photo needs to include the entire mat, but can be from an angle so it shouldn't be a problem actually using the camera.... at least not as much as calibrating it seems to be LOL
    Last edited by DJG; 30-08-2014 at 07:36 PM.

View Gallery

After watch two youtub videos now have both my Fuji Camer and my Samsung phones profiles loaded. But I can't get Studio to match the profiles to my mat photos. I have trie cropping the photos but still the blue error message.

The screen shot shows the error message I keep getting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

View Gallery

I got a message with my camera phone but i don't think it was that one. I've just put aspect ratio in Google and Wikipedia has come up with this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_%28image%29....sounds like it's something to do with the size are you able to change it on your camera? If this doesn't help I would contact SA and also send them the screenshot too they might be able to tell you what you need to do.
    Last edited by DJG; 31-08-2014 at 01:44 PM.

View Gallery

Well I have been trying all different things to stop getting that message. But nothing makes any difference so eventually I carried on regardless and imported the image anyway.

It actually worked very well after I cut the image sheet. I did have to release the compound path after the auto scan to take away the parts I did not want cut. I then remade the compound path. There are two sides with a small amount of white showing but not sure if this is because of the upgrade. Not done an ordinary print & cut since I downloaded the upgrade, so will have to do one now to check how accurate it is.

To be honest I am not that impressed with it all. So much can go wrong to get a result. A great pity that the scanning part does not seem to work properly. I am hoping that Silhouette will sort out the software problems with it and come up with better instructions on how to use it.

The only way I can get Studio to calibrate both my phone camera and my Fuji camera is to take a photo of the printed off calibration sheet at the same height away from the camera as a PixScan mat would be (in the end sticking it to the mat), then after taking the photo edit by cropping AND levelling the photo or I had a red message telling me no can do.

View Gallery

I haven't done any print and cut for at least 6 months so I don't know why I bought the mat really but as I have bought it (not received it yet) I will probably give it a try. Hopefully there will be another update soon to iron out any problems

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    just got my mat through the post on Saturday,what size does the calibration sheet have to be printed,A4 or A3,it seems disappointing to have all this fuss and it does not seem to be easy as their instructions seems to make out it is.