Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Deep Cut - What does it do

If you access the commands on the Cameo Control Panel you will see a command called "Deep Cut" after experimenting I couldn't see what difference it actually made, so I wrote to GAS and this was their reply.

QUOTE - It is a feature which enables a “tangential mode” of cutting. This is a method of cutting for some thicker material types where the blade lifts between corners and then resumes after lifting rather than making a continuous cut throughout the line set. It does not press down harder, double-cut, or otherwise provide more force for the cutting process. It simply is a method of how the Silhouette goes through the cutting process. It is not presently included in the software as we found in testing that this had caused too much confusion for users. Unfortunately, it could not be removed from the actual firmware of the cutting unit and so still appears in the menu options of the LCD screen when cutting from an SD card.

Newbie Starter pack and cheat sheets here

Repeat after me "Google Is My Friend"

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    If you access the commands on the Cameo Control Panel you will see a command called "Deep Cut" after experimenting I couldn't see what difference it actually made, so I wrote to GAS and this was their reply.

QUOTE - It is a feature which enables a “tangential mode” of cutting. This is a method of cutting for some thicker material types where the blade lifts between corners and then resumes after lifting rather than making a continuous cut throughout the line set. It does not press down harder, double-cut, or otherwise provide more force for the cutting process. It simply is a method of how the Silhouette goes through the cutting process. It is not presently included in the software as we found in testing that this had caused too much confusion for users. Unfortunately, it could not be removed from the actual firmware of the cutting unit and so still appears in the menu options of the LCD screen when cutting from an SD card.
    Thanks Lucille for finding out for us.

I tried it and not really sure it makes much difference. It does make a lot of taping noises as the blade lifts on intricate parts.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neries View Post
    Thanks Lucille for finding out for us.

I tried it and not really sure it makes much difference. It does make a lot of taping noises as the blade lifts on intricate parts.
    If the blade is going up and down a lot, see if has lots of open ends and close them if that's possible, I know with some designs certain ends can't be closed, but it will reduce the amount the blade has to go up and down, which I don't think is a good thing. When I was changing the screen shots, I did add Studio versions of some files where the GSD's needed a lot of closing, but I didn't feel right about doing all the files.

Newbie Starter pack and cheat sheets here

Repeat after me "Google Is My Friend"

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    If the blade is going up and down a lot, see if has lots of open ends and close them if that's possible, I know with some designs certain ends can't be closed, but it will reduce the amount the blade has to go up and down, which I don't think is a good thing. When I was changing the screen shots, I did add Studio versions of some files where the GSD's needed a lot of closing, but I didn't feel right about doing all the files.
    Mine was on a newly traced 'print & cut' from a CD, so no open ends. Changed the setting back to default 'off' as I don't like hearing my Cameo doing all those taps.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    Tangetial cutting is/was a menu option in the Robo Pro control panel. It's a long time ago now but I was advised to try it when I had problems with the blade not cutting cleanly when making very fast, sharp/tight turns. As far as I can remember the blade was lifted to aid the swivel in this situation - it stopped the blade dragging and tearing the card.

Rosemary

PS I had the same misgiving about repeated ups and downs, but I came to the conclusion that if it was a standard menu option on their (semi) professional cutters, it must have been OK.
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."