Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Girl with a mission to SHOP..... joolsmicra's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (4)

strange scrapbooking group!

I have just started at a new scrapbooking group with a friend who is an absolute beginner.(I feel I can say on here as the organiser has never been on UKS, and says that she doesnt use the internet),I asked whether it was going to be a class, or whether people could just 'crop' on their own, and she said that it was for both.The class, (which we did have to do)was very much early creative memories style (white background, shaped photos, fancy scissored mats....and not in the 'new' way, iykwim), and she kept making suggestions in such a bossy way..(cut it in a circle, edge it with red and green...).She was downright rude about one of my layouts. (dull!!! she called it... I prefer 'muted!') my friend kept saying where can I find patterned papers etc and she said that was too expensive. Do I go again to support my friend? I dont think I can cope with the woman telling scrapping fibs (and she told lots!)and keeping my mouth shut!At least she didnt try to sell us anything (except glue)!

Procrastinating Scrapper... Weaselwise's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (46)
    Thats a hard one - are you not near to a shop that does classes or crops that you could try instead 'for comparison' with your friend?

It's a shame the organiser was so outspoken, I may not like everyones layouts and they may not like mine, but to criticise you in that way is as you quite rightly say downright rude... if you like your layout, whether muted, bright, quiet or in-your-face brash then it's your personal choice and nobody else's... there are no Scrapbook Police!

Having personally been the recipient of a recent 'smacking' on *that* blog I really don't care whether anybody else likes my layouts or not - but to have a class organiser say to my face that my layout was 'dull' would have me gathering my tools and going elsewhere - I'm not going to pay for the priviledge of being talked down to by someone who thinks she knows better - and neither should you lol... I hope you can find another class with a nicer and friendlier organiser! And one that at least knows their stuff lol...
    ...Weasel AKA Suzie...
    Wise Weasel Witterings ... Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Since you have been scrapbooking for a while, couldn't you and your friend work together with you helping her at first, then, as she becomes more experienced, working together on some of her ideas? Then neither of you need go to these classes. My friend and I, now both quite experienced scrappers, set each other challenges and share the results.

View Gallery

She does worry that if I have anything to do with it, it will become expensive !(this I can not deny.....If anyone had said how much scrapping would cost me, I would have thought they were mad!) I would like her to be led astray by someone else! I might see if there is still a srapaholix type class in the area, which has a nice kit, and lots of people to collude with the spending.I began by the creative memories/ gingham explosion sort of scrapping, and sort of hoped a simple class might help.... she hasnt got her own cutter yet, so we need to be somewhere slow enough for us to share!

Janina Beckett
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (82)
    Personally I find Creative Memories dull, sorry to CM followers. I think that's one of the reasons they no longer sell/operate in the UK they just have'nt moved with the papercraft times. Don't take no notice of this deluded woman. Our layouts are personal to us whether we do it in the CM style or any other style.
    I run a monthly crop and have done for 4yrs, I would'nt dream of telling someone how to crop, I'm happy to help anyone who might need some help with a layout.

East Kilbride, Scotland but my second home is in Beadnell, Northumberland
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    As the co-runner of a crop I would never dream of criticising anyones Layouts as everyone has a different style. We asked what folks wanted from a crop and the general concensus was that no one wanted a clase/make and take just the chance to scrap/craft away among like minded folks. I feel I come away from every crop having learned something new from my fellow cropettes. A more laid back style of cropping May suit you Both better

Joint Red Ribbon House Leader

My Blog

Stamped heads/postage people ATC swap

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (67)
    I run a class in Rochdale - is that too far away ?

View Gallery

fraid so carol, although the class kits look lovely...just what we need !

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (8)
    I, personally, wouldn't go back to this class I think that this woman will put your friend off scrapbooking. What about you both trying an online class together. you can encourage each other. I was thinking of Shimelle, in particular.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (60)
    That's the sort of help you and your friend could do without. The cheek of her.

How about a kit? The one we sell has scrap maps and ideas and enough stash to make at least 2 pages and a card.

Procrastinating Scrapper... Weaselwise's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (46)
    mmm definitely an online class - or, how about a CYBERCROP???

It's gotta be about time for another one surely lol...
    ...Weasel AKA Suzie...
    Wise Weasel Witterings ... Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaselwise View Post
    mmm definitely an online class - or, how about a CYBERCROP???

It's gotta be about time for another one surely lol...
    Ooh yes please, any time between next Thursday and September, lol!

View Gallery

I was thinking about us doing a kit one afternoon.....it means cleaning my house/ toilet/ ironing pile first though...unless I go to hers!

View Gallery

and although Im sort of doing the Shimelle pages at the mo, it needs too much stuff, I think for a beginner........I think a put together kit may do it... (there is also another group maybe starting at the W.I).I shall consult before we attend next month!

Mummy to 2 gorgeous boys and memory keeper/scrapbooker Mrs Cheshire's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (29)
    I run a crop in south manchester which would take about 1 hour from you if you fancy it give me a shout!
    I agree with everyone else's comments though, I wouldn't go back for sure!
    Suzie, I too have been on the receiving end from that 'blog' so know exactly how you feel!
    Dawn
    Team Leader My Blog
    July Points Slo7, DLO, Weekly Challenges wk1= wk2= wk3= wk4= Hc= Mini books= Total