If You've Got the Time, We've Got the UKScrappers.

June Sketch

by Maggie B

Friday 5. June 7.

by Maggie B

Adventure Awaits

by Mary Buttons

Weekly June 3.

by RED HEAD

Beautiful day

by scrapdolly

Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Other Scrapping > Altered Art > ATC's

Notices

Charmed Cards & Crafts banner

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: About ATC's

Not So Domestic Goddess! Matiepeeps's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (40)
    Im just new to ATCs so don't know a lot about them but I found some digital images for the back of your ATCs. Just print them out onto your cardstock or a sticker and then either stick to the back of your ATCs or cut your ATC out around them.

Here's the link:

http://www.scrapbookgraphics.com/cat...6cfe5206f62a10

Apologies in advance if I am not allow to put this up. Please remove it if need be and anyone interested can PM me.

They are downloadable which means no P&P as well which I thought was quite nice. I haven't used these though because I already had one I bought from Lemon which I love.

HTH
    February Points:

A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle. ~Irina Dunn, 1970, commonly misattributed to Gloria Steinem who had quoted Dunn

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (4)

backs

is it compulsory to decorate the back or is it ok to put a small sticker with your details on

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)

Not Art!

My 14 year old daughter has to make something to use as a game in art, and came up with a good idea. She would make about 30-40 ATCs and present them as a trading game. She checked out some ideas and came up with four themes relating to nature (animals, beach, flowers and woods), and decided to take photos of all of her subjects so as not to destroy nature. She was then going to use the trading cards as a base to decorate and present each photo. We spent ages going out and taking hundreds of photos and getting everything ready.

As this is an ongoing task, she had to explain yesterday what she intended doing. Imagine both her and my horror to be told by her art teacher yesterday that

"......those things are not art".

To say I was fuming was putting it mildly, surely the fact that she had spent hours making the cards and decorating them was art in itself. How anybody can say that ATCs are not a work of art is beyond me. Just because they are small doesn't mean that they can not be counted as a form of art. She was really upset about these negative comments, because she has had a fantastic time making then so far and really enjoyed herself. I have told her in her evaluation of this project to write that they are considered as an art form but think I may be banging my head against a brick wall. Anybody want to give a comment on a narrow minded old-fashioned art teacher? Unfortunately the woman is my daughters Head of Year, so even though she is giving up art next year, she will still have to be polite to her, otherwise I would be considering a sharp word with her myself.

Sorry to rant but i feel that teachers should be encouraging pupils, not putting them down.

Life is not a dress rehearsal. dreynoldsuk's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Unfortunately many people still don't know what an ATC is. Perhaps this teacher needs to be educated. Can't you send in your album for her to see and suggest a few websites to look at. Art is ever changing and new forms are being used all the time.
    I am a teacher and so is my husband. Both of us have used ATCs for pieces of work - and neither of us are art teachers. My husband teaches geography and he set a homework to portray Italy on an ATC. The results were breathtaking. I would love to have them in my collection.
    We just have to keep plugging away, but we may not win every battle!
    Diane x

Eggnog's for LIFE not just or Christmas ;o) peechy's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (22)
    bah!! how horrible for your dd

the very name should let teacher know they are "ART" and anyway one persons art is another persons eyesore.. etc, etc....
    ****** **confessions......(my blog)
    **** Fairytail ATC Swap *****Meerkats Rule
    ************Faithscrappers Design Team*

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (53)
    thats awful, for an art teacher to say that- my DD has just finished an art degree and had a bad time of it because her tutors wouldn't recognise what she did as art- she does comic art - now she is into atcs since she visited me and stole half my stash lol- and as a professional artist she sees the 'art' in them and also sees them as a way of inspiring herself or trying out new techniques. That art teacher needs to be pointed towards Lisa Volrath's site - if she isn't and 'artist' then who is???

View Gallery

I am quitting art this year because the projects we get to do are really boring...and because i can't do manga in class! (Japanise cartoon). They don't think anything different is art... :'( I have recently become interested in ATC's and am going to give them a go as soon as i get off of the computer! lol! btw culpepper...is your daughter's comic art manga??

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I'm new to this site in that I have been registered for a while but this is my first message. I have made dozens of ATCs and swap through a popular, newish, stamping magazine and through a popular craft shop belonging to a lady who demonstrates on QVC. (Not sure if I am allowed to be more specific!) Would love to do some swaps?
    Diane von Kesmark
    (a.k.a Crafty Vonx)

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

My First Post!

Hi - my first post, please be gentle with me! I guess it's a familiar story - started with FB's through my pen pals, moved on to themed FB's, then discovered Decos - woohoo! Haven't participated in swaps/exchanges for a couple of years now, but really want to get going again. Recently discovered scapbooking too!

Could anybody send me a couple of Decos to get my creativity flowing again?
    I am also dying to try my hand at ATC's - does anybody have some that I can see? Am I right in thinking that sometimes people exchange "blank" or partially completed ATC's to start with just to give newbies something to work on?

I will do my best to send something in exchange to anybody that responds.

Thanks for reading , am hoping to participate as much as possible!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Help with ATC's

I would love to start making ATC's but I thought they had to be all old fashioned and faded colours. I love bright colours and lots of bright things, can I use these and is there any rules other than size? Help please
    Kate Mc Ilreavy( new member)

Dedicated Scrapper Chicken Licken's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (21)
    I used to think that too but I now have the confidence to just do my own thang!" Seem to be popular so just do what makes you feel happy! Have a look in my photobucket!
    Chick!

View Gallery

OMG I'm such an idiot! I mis-read the sizes as 3.5" X 4.5" rather than 2.5" X 3.5"! I have just made my first 5 ATCs the wrong size!!

AMETHYST

Dedicated Scrapper lizzydripping's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jampot
    My 14 year old daughter has to make something to use as a game in art, and came up with a good idea. She would make about 30-40 ATCs and present them as a trading game. She checked out some ideas and came up with four themes relating to nature (animals, beach, flowers and woods), and decided to take photos of all of her subjects so as not to destroy nature. She was then going to use the trading cards as a base to decorate and present each photo. We spent ages going out and taking hundreds of photos and getting everything ready.

As this is an ongoing task, she had to explain yesterday what she intended doing. Imagine both her and my horror to be told by her art teacher yesterday that

"......those things are not art".

To say I was fuming was putting it mildly, surely the fact that she had spent hours making the cards and decorating them was art in itself. How anybody can say that ATCs are not a work of art is beyond me. Just because they are small doesn't mean that they can not be counted as a form of art. She was really upset about these negative comments, because she has had a fantastic time making then so far and really enjoyed herself. I have told her in her evaluation of this project to write that they are considered as an art form but think I may be banging my head against a brick wall. Anybody want to give a comment on a narrow minded old-fashioned art teacher? Unfortunately the woman is my daughters Head of Year, so even though she is giving up art next year, she will still have to be polite to her, otherwise I would be considering a sharp word with her myself.

Sorry to rant but i feel that teachers should be encouraging pupils, not putting them down.
    I showed someone my portfolio Scrapbook, before I started teaching it & was told "Of course this is not a craft".

Liz

collector of pretty paper robinsmadmum's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (40)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate McIlreavy
    I would love to start making ATC's but I thought they had to be all old fashioned and faded colours. I love bright colours and lots of bright things, can I use these and is there any rules other than size? Help please
    Kate Mc Ilreavy( new member)

use whatever you like the only rule is the size

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (6)
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzydripping
    I showed someone my portfolio Scrapbook, before I started teaching it & was told "Of course this is not a craft".

Liz
    OMG, please tell me they were joking! how short sighted!

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast