Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (7)

What is Modge Podge ?

..and what do you use it for ?

I've bought a Provocraft lunch pail and want to paint it as well as cover in paper. I thought that using acrylic paint would be OK. Someone mentioned that they then used Modge Podge. I'm easily confused at the best of times, so before I buy some I thought I'd ask the experts what it is !!

In anticipation

Teekay

Sprinkle a little happiness wherever you go Hils's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (17)
    Hi Teekay
    It's a wet glue and comes in several different formats - matt, glass, sparkly, outdoors and probably quite a few more. I've only just started using it but have already decided I love it almost as much as my Glossy Accents
    So far I've discovered that its good for collage, and as a covering medium - I've been acrylic painting some things and if you then paint the mod podge over the top it gives it a protective layer. It can also add a sheen which, especially on card, can make quite a difference to the finish. I painted a little trinket box purple this week and it looked quite dull until I coated it with some sparkly mod podge...
    It's not too expensive either - think Artbase do quite a selection??
    Hils

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    its a glue, sealer and varnish in one!! Great for so many things but do be warned, if you're putting several layers on anything to give it a hard finish it is very slightly tacky. So f you stack anything on top of it, it can stick. Its easily remedied by putting a thin layer of spray varnish over it. I use it on painted boxes to give them a really hardwearing finish.

Heidi

smurfie
    overpriced pva glue i almost kicked myself when id spent a "fortune" on a bottle when i found out i might as well have stuck to my old trusted pva with acrylic varnish ...

Sprinkle a little happiness wherever you go Hils's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (17)
    I tried my old trusted PVA over acrylic paint on my lunchtin but it just didn't do the job.... p'raps it's just me...
    Hils

smurfie
    roflol must be hils i use PVA for absolutely EVERYTHING in various amounts of layers and if i want something weather/water proof i chuck over a good helping of acrylic varnish...

if you look on the back of the mod podge bottle youll see that its basically watered down pva glue..

View Gallery

Thanks !!

Ta much for all your comments. I's no idea it was pva based, but the thought of the sparkly one has me excited, so I guess I'll buy some anyway

There's so many products it's hard to tell the necessary from the ludricous if you're a newbie. I've been pretty much doing everything with a glue stick up until now !!

There is nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with chocolate Kirsty262's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (120)
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfie
    roflol must be hils i use PVA for absolutely EVERYTHING in various amounts of layers and if i want something weather/water proof i chuck over a good helping of acrylic varnish...

if you look on the back of the mod podge bottle youll see that its basically watered down pva glue..
    so if I had pva I just water it down a bit (by how much) and then put varnish over the top?

smurfie
    mmm how much?? well that is a good question.. i put it into an old jam jar and then just add a few drops of water... so that its still quite gloopey... i only use different varnish if i need the item to be weather/water proof, make sure its waterbased though as other varnish will yellow over time...

if it doesnt need to be waterproof just add a thick layer of pva over the last thin layer...

There is nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with chocolate Kirsty262's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (120)
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfie
    mmm how much?? well that is a good question.. i put it into an old jam jar and then just add a few drops of water... so that its still quite gloopey... i only use different varnish if i need the item to be weather/water proof, make sure its waterbased though as other varnish will yellow over time...

if it doesnt need to be waterproof just add a thick layer of pva over the last thin layer...
    So I only put a little bit of water in?

it does need to be waterproof so which varnish would I need.

trying to find some scrapping time for me!!
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    i use watered down pva for all the kids paper mache stuff we make and never thought of using it for altering. Doh! So thanks you've just saved me splashing out on some modge podge.

smurfie
    yep just a splash of water.. stir it all through thoroughly and away you go.. as for varnish i use the cheap stuff from b&q.. its about £2.99 for a big bottle... any varnish will do so long as it is waterbased
    oh and you can make it sparkly too by adding a few spoonfulls of micro glitter.. that really really fine stuff

View Gallery

Stickin' with this one !

<sorry, couldn't resist that>

Thanks Smurfie - I had no idea that plain pva was such a wonder glue ! I've got some micro glitter already , so I'm keen to try this out now