Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lover of fairies and angels josiejo's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)

How do you know when a LO is good enough

I was wondering how you know a LO is good enough to be sent to a magazine or even shown on here. Everyones work looks so much more professional than what I do.
    Jo

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (106)
    My way of looking at it is that everyone has different tastes, so if you're happy with it it's good enough

I regularly flick through the couple of magazines I have and find that some inspire me, whereas there are others I would personally bin. But this is normally just down to me not liking a specific paper or type of embellishment -- there's actually nothing wrong with the LO!

This comes from someone who has only finished one LO to date, but is also a member of a card making forum, and I find the same thing on there --- occasionally a lot of people swoon over a card I personally wouldn't make, and (whilst appreciating the thought behind making and sending it) wouldn't keep if it were sent to me

(hope my honesty doesn't upset anyone!)

errr.. how long have i been out of it? Kihaku's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (75)
    **hugs** we all feel like that about our work verus other people's work... show your work on her, let us see it - we'll be able to let you know what we think or be able to tell you your strong points etc, i find putting stuff in gallery helps me a lot to know what people like about my work so i can continue towards another one... as for magazines, i go onthe principle nothign to lose, so send it anyways - its oly an email... yeh get dissappointed if it doesnt get chossen but only 10% do and not everyone cn be tht 10% all the time
    Be creative every day *anam*
    My Blog

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (35)
    Quote Originally Posted by josiejo
    Everyones work looks so much more professional than what I do.
    But you have to remember that a lot of people have been scrapping for 7 years or more, they have had a lot of practice!
    Also, a lot of people only post their best layouts here so you don't get to see all of their pages.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)
    Ive been trying to create a halloween page using the photos taken this year of my twins Emillie and Oliver, it was their first year trick or treating so wanted to make it special. Ive had the layout on the kitchen table for days, I keep shuffling the photos but it's never quite right --- so - what im thinking of doing it taking some photos, uploading to the gallery titled "Room for Improvement" and see how I can improve it and hopefully get some advice from the experts on here!!

just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

ANY layout can be shown on here. If you are proud of it, share it! On the whole people are sensible enough to consider people's feelings when posting comments in the Gallery. And we do have a section called Room for Improvement where you can post a layout askng for suggestions on how to make it better, so maybe there is a good place to share if you are unsure!

As to thinking "everyone" is better, did you see my first ever layout in the mag? OMG.

Let me see.....

Look at this one I did AGES ago -- funny thing is I totally LOVED it when I did it but now I think "was I demented?"

I took the clip art images and cut out the color bits and backed the black outlines with colored vellum (I was SO proud of myself LOL!) and while I still love the memory of that day, the layout leaves a lot to be desired.

It is by doing something every day we gain ability. Just keep doing what you are doing, be experimental (with duplicate photos!) and don't be so critical of yourself.

A friend dropped by for lunch the other day and she was telling me about a cropping group she started with friends from work. They think she is some sort of scrapping GODDESS whle she thinks she is not all that, based on people she crops with at another more established crop. It's all relative

The mags -- send your layouts. You just never know. It may be you have a layout that while technically not the best layout ever it is the colour and size and topic they need to fill a spot and you'll get the call. It could be they see something special in the layout you don't. It could be the layout is fab but they don't have a place for it at the moment but you could get a call in a few months time when it DOES fit what they need. It doesn't cost a thing to send an email!

But ultimately you have to scrap for yourself and your family, unless being a published scrapper is your job (or your goal). THAT is a whole 'nother post LOL!
    Attached Images Attached Images

just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by emnol
    --- so - what im thinking of doing it taking some photos, uploading to the gallery titled "Room for Improvement" and see how I can improve it and hopefully get some advice from the experts on here!!
    And we do have a section called Room for Improvement where you can post a layout askng for suggestions on how to make it better, so maybe there is a good place to share if you are unsure!
    SNAP!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (106)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnne
    Look at this one I did AGES ago -- funny thing is I totally LOVED it when I did it but now I think "was I demented?"
    Actually, I think that's fantastic

It's a really fun layout for some really fun photos... and I think it really catches the eye I'd be chuffed to pieces if I could turn out something like that!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (17)
    my first layout lay on the table unstuck for 3 weeks and i thought i hated it, now its done i love it and although my work needs to be improved im proud of what ive done so far and you should be too.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (54)
    yup - sorry MA, but I like it too!!
    Blog (warning, here be spoilers!) / Art Journals / Be-Stitched CJ

More BooHoo than Boho x Bohokitty's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (6)
    I sort of know what you mean though - I start with 'an idea', it gets scrapped and then i add more and more madness to it - before you know it i say to myself "you should have stopped a fair few embellishments ago AND not EVERYTHING has to be inked kitty" So how do we know when to stop and when not to stop? When is it ready?
    I aim for halfway between a Jane Dean and a Shimelle!!! x x
    See my hand-made Shop at:
    PaperFish.etsy.com

The finest Morse keys in all the land! katiepops's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    People do have different tastes, it's true. I did a layout a couple of years ago that I really did not (and still don't) like ... but I posted it in the gallery here, and it got lots of comments - and people flicking through my albums ALWAYS stop at that one and compliment it - but I personally think it's awful.

At the end of the day as long as you like it, that's what matters - because after all, the majority of us are scrapping for us and our families, not for the magazines. My style is clean and simple lines, and at a time when the scrapping world had gone shabby chic and collage mad, I was chosen for the For Keepsakes magazine design team - I never in a million years thought I'd be chosen when I submitted, but what you have to remember is that although there might be a trend for something right now that seems to be in your face everywhere you look, not everyone is going to be into it and will welcome the chance to look at something different - after all, if you're a clean and simple lines kind of girl who can't do shabby chic to save your life, you're more likely to get inspiration from a clean and simple layout, aren't you?

Go for it, submit - like has been said, it's only an e-mail, and you never know what it could lead to.

Kate

PS: I also aspire to something halfway between Jane and Shimelle, but usually end up halfway between plain awful and just pants!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Mary Anne,
    In 3 yrs I had only ever done about five LO's as I wouldn't just let myself go and do it *my* way. I saw that article which included your first ever LO and I was stunned as to me you were *up there* in the scrappin' world as far as I was concerned. I thought you were born scrapping the way you do now!
    That did it for me. I realised then (at last!) it's just practice, my own ideas, letting my ideas flow and not to worry whether it's right or wrong (no such thing).
    I can see which each one I do that my ideas are there, the creativity is there and it's getting better with each LO. My way.
    To the first poster...go for it!

More BooHoo than Boho x Bohokitty's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (6)
    Miss Pops,
    This should be a new thread - Are you an Anne Parry wanting to be a Shimelle or are you a Mary-Anne 'altered' with a hint of the Jenny Dixon formality????!!!! I adore these ladies - i consider them my personal friends in my own virtual world of imaginary crop parties in which THEY beg ME for advise!!!! x .... i'm off to start a new thread...
    See my hand-made Shop at:
    PaperFish.etsy.com

blonde_n_ditzy
    As a major perfectionist, i'm never happy with my own lo's. but i seem to get good reviews from people i show, people that i hope would be honest with me!! I always look at what other people are doing and think, that's so much better than mine, but you just have to learn to not be so critical of your own work, and use the excuse to practice, practice, practice!! There will always be people looking at yours and thinking 'ohhh, thats so much better than mine, i wish mine looked like that!!'
    It's just a matter of time to build your confidence up, and the more lo's you send to magazines the more likely you are to get published!!

(think i need to follow my own advice!! lol)

You should start posting your lo's on here, I for one would love to see them!