Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Thread: Word in XP?

A founder member of the mad Sues club
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (23)

Word in XP?

I can`t seem to find Word on my PC all I have is Word Pad which is a bit limiting now I am going Font crazy. Is this an add on programme?
    Gratefull for help please.
    Sue

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Hi, it should be there somewhere. Have you tried clicking on the start menu, then searching for it from the start menu?

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (80)
    Hi Sue, I have windows XP also and my computer came with Word, Excel and so on so not sure if it was an add on. To open it I go to "start" (bottom left corner) then select "all programs" and then find Microsoft Office and it's in there. I haven't used a PC for too long though so don't know if all PCs are set up the same way (used to be a Mac user).

Probably not much help!
    My Blog
    May wk 2: 14 PL pages 70pts
    May wk 4: 14 PL pages 70pts
    May wk 5: 6 PL pages 30pts

Windows is your operation system, Office has all your programs. Sounds like you need to install it. HTH
    x Claire x

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    PC's don't automatically come with MS Word, some companies will bundle the basic MS Office software which includes word with the computer, but otherwise you have to purchase it seperately.

Some PC's may come with MS Works instead of Office which also has a word processor

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (106)
    My previous PC only came with Notepad. The one I have now is a 'self build', so started out the same -- but I now have Office on it, as my lads use Word/Excel at school and I (very) occasionally bring some work home which needs them.

Sounds like you need to add the software to your Christmas wish list, but it's not cheap (over £300). You can get a student version (around £100), but this is only licensed for use by children with parents covered only when helping the child.

Obviously I can't recommend risking buying the student version for regular use by anyone other than children.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    You will need to buy Word. I think you can buy it on its own, but otherwise I suggest you buy a package. Either MS Works Suite (usually has Word with it now) or MS Office. Works is heaps cheaper....

Alison
    in NZ

Loving Life on UKScrappers BevS97's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (7)
    Office (which includes Word), MS Works (which includes a similiar Word processor) and Word itself are all programs you have to buy - they are often bundled with a new pc, but they aren't always as they are expensive.

http://www.openoffice.org/
    Open Office is a free program which includes a word processor, spreadsheet, drawing program etc. I mostly use the drawing program and it's very good, I would expect the others to be pretty good too.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    I can vouch for the open office word processor - it is pretty interchangeable with microsoft word - opens .doc files, allows all your fonts, etc. I don't think it has WordArt though.

Kel x

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (6)
    I use 602 Text - it's brilliant and it's a FREE download. Takes a while if your on dial up because it's a huge program. (It's a full Office Suite). Fully comp. with word and it has magic text, which I find easier to use than wordart and, I think, it's much better. If you do a google for 602 software it should come up.
    Sheila

A founder member of the mad Sues club
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (23)
    Thanks for all the help. I won`t be buying any software for the home PC as I am hoping to get a laptop soon so I can come to Scrappers even when I am in bed with a bad leg day. The free download that Grannyscrap mentions will be investigated though.
    Thanks again everyone.
    Sue