Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)

I've got myself some MOUNT BOARD but what now?

I've been off to my local framer who swapped me some mount board for a packet of biscuits...but what do I do with it now. I wanted some to reinforce the covers of a mini book, but what else can I do?

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (35)
    You can cut it into shapes and ink it, or paint it. Stamp onto it, distress it, Cover it in diamond glaze or utee or embossing powder. Will that do for starters?

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (52)
    I love mountboard! put cardstock or patterned paper on one side and then cut out a monogram or shape using your own print out from the computer; cover with cardboard, stamp on letters, cut out and glaze over in the way of lil davis chipboard letters, make photo frames (covering with card, paper or painting, adding beads, rub ons, quotes, ribbon etc) ..... print out/stamp a title/quote onto card and adhere to mountboard, clear emboss or glaze ...

I use it quite a lot in my layouts (see my gallery:

pure happiness .... photo corners used from cutting mountboard, covering front with cardstock, sanding and adding on rub on phrases

love you grandad ... monogram L painted, sanded back and glazed

polo ... monogram P covered with patterned paper sanded and inked

may you never ... quote printed out onto card, put onto mountboard and edged inked

a fathers love ... monogram A plus other letters stencilled/stamped, mounted onto board, cut out, inked and glazed, PLUS various phrases/words from the patterned paper were cut out and mounted onto board and inked to give greater emphasis
    Last edited by fruitysuet; 14-11-2005 at 01:59 AM.
    A Bowl of Cherries - My personal blog

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up. Mammy Hen's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (12)
    Hi Suzanne absolutely brilliant ideas.I have been working with mountboard this week and also trying different techniques. I CANNOT stamp, I have lots of stamps bought in July when I started, thought they were a MUST! I end up with splodges and smudges and inked fingers. Is there a secret? Maybe when I see Tim Holtz in action things will change.

Mary
    Last edited by Mammy Hen; 14-11-2005 at 02:13 AM. Reason: typo
    Mary

View Gallery

Mary I can't stamp neatly either which is why I HAVE to go for the distressed look (ie sanding and inking) to make the smudges look deliberate!!!

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up. Mammy Hen's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (12)
    good idea Suzanne I plan to try that this week. I would so like to attend a class or crop but nothing near where I live.

Mary
    Mary

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    Great ideas. Thanks. Will have a play some time very soon. Especially like the idea of doing monograms. I've been into your gallery on many occasions, Suzanne, but I'm off to have another look with fresh mountboard-spotting eyes!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Can you cut mountboard with a sizzix or is it too thick?

thanks

Karen

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (22)
    Can you tell me what you use to cut the mount board ? I'm particularly interested in making some monograms, is it too thick for scissors or will I need to use a craft knife?

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (11)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sues
    Can you tell me what you use to cut the mount board ? I'm particularly interested in making some monograms, is it too thick for scissors or will I need to use a craft knife?
    you'll need a craft knife sue...you can cut straight lines with scissors if you use greyboard, but anything trickier then defo a craft knife

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    I have really struggled to cut mount board even with a craft knife. Anyone have any tips on making it easier?

View Gallery

Well I find it easier to use scissors but I don't tend to use very thick mountboard - if I want it thicker I cut two thinner pieces and glue them together! The type I have does go through the Sizzix, some of my dies work better than others though (the circles and flowers seem fine).