Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

oh no Microslide Mailers - advice

I have altered two microslide mailers as a card-gift for Christmas. Everything went fine (for a new scrapper ) until the diamond glaze dried!!!!!! I used the diamond glaze (as advised in one magazine) around the glass slide to adhere it to the cardboard mailer, that's when things went a tad wrong Not good! The glaze squeezed out the sides and under the slide on the edges - not very pretty (well for a picky perfectionist it isn't)Any suggestions?
    I was wondering wherther I could use embossing powder around the edges - or would this crack the glass? (from my sci. background the glass shouldn't break as it has to withstand a certain temp. during slide making/viewing etc.) alternatively is it better to pull the glass off, put new pics in and start again?

Oh how delightfully random... xXx_just_me_xXx's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Whats a microslide mailer?

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (10)
    DG is pretty sticky stuff, I would have thought that the glass would break if you tried to prize it off I would go with your ida of embossing to hide the DG

Of course it may be easier to start again and chalk your first ones up to experience!

View Gallery

wink Mailers

Quote Originally Posted by xXx_just_me_xXx
    Whats a microslide mailer?
    A cardboard package (opens like a card) in which you can post microscope slides. They come in different sizes - to hold 1,2,3 or 4 slides (maybe more?) Anyway, they can be altered to make a photo frame (type thing). Mine came with glass (not all do) and I've put pics. of my friend's children behind the slides, decorating the cardboard to match the theme. I'm not good explaining things - and will try to put a pic up (not a fab effort - but I've tried) when finished. Perhaps others have pics. in the gallery.

errr.. how long have i been out of it? Kihaku's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (75)
    you got piccy? it might not be as bad as you think... i'd emboss those if you were stuck

re: slide mailers - check out this thread - http://www.ukscrappers.co.uk/boards/...ighlight=slide
    Be creative every day *anam*
    My Blog

Scrapaholic Club Organiser Lynn Donnelly's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (6)
    I was given a present of a book with a glass square stamped and stuck on the front. She had covered it with DG and around the edges had use micrbeads and it looks fab
    Lynn

View Gallery

rolling

Ok... so I decided to try the embossing powder. It looked fine on the first one, but I wasn't happy with the second mailer and then tried several other ideas which didn't work before the "destructive me" kicked in to "try to" prise off the glass - ha ha ha! I knew it would break (as also suggested by Ellie - a scarily similar name to mine off-line), but thought if didn't try I'd never know - well it did break, and I've decided to make a new one. However, the non damaged side (front cover) will be recycled as I'm going to cut a section out of it and put a piccie. into it - improvise somewhat (I hate wasting stuff). Thanks for suggestions.

Dedicated Scrapper InspireSpirit's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (6)
    yes, you can emboss the edges. Just learned how to do that on a recent retreat, and they look fab. We also used very thin foil double sided sticky tape stuff, gold on some, silver on others - this also gave the look of solder, but personally, I loved the silver emossing powder. We put really thin (the tacky double sided tape with the red outside bit) around the edges of the microscope slides, then dipped into embossing powder and heated. looks fab.

My blog: http://inspireserendipity.blogspot.com/

Lucky Dip CJ
    Strictly Vintage CJ

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (33)
    or you could faux solder the edges with utee a la tim holtz

A founder member of the mad Sues club
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (23)
    I used an old silver neclace around the edge of the glass on the one in my gallery. Stuck on with Glossy Accents.
    Sue

Dedicated Scrapper bluelindyloo's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (3)

M.Slides

We put the Krylon pen round the edges - works great.

Linda

View Gallery

Can anyone tell me where the best place is to buy these please?

I've looked on Ebay and can't seem to find the slide mailers... But thats probably coz I'm not sure where to look for them or what to search for IYKWIM?!

Any suggestions for a sponsor that maybe sells them? Pwease?!

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Glyn
    Can anyone tell me where the best place is to buy these please?

I've looked on Ebay and can't seem to find the slide mailers... But thats probably coz I'm not sure where to look for them or what to search for IYKWIM?!

Any suggestions for a sponsor that maybe sells them? Pwease?!

I bought mine from Stamp Attic (www.stampattack.co.uk) who sell via E-bay (Stampattack Art Stamps Shop) or their own site. This supplier was suggested via an article in a Scrapbooking magazine, but there are probably many other sellers and also scientific suppliers.