Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)

Finally happening. UKS will go.

Hi all.

Well, it has been a good run, but time to close the doors.

I have been pretty unwell for the last 6 months or so, my weird, rare myositis has been very poorly controlled, despite trying a series of stronger medications and hoping each time, that they would do the trick. I might be on a good one now, but only time will tell.

I have been checking in, and the number of posts when I check via Forum Spy is terribly low. Really really low. So while I get that there are a few people who still pop in now and then, it really isn't active, by any metric. We also have had a couple of odd issues (like the menu disappearing) and frankly, trying to get those technical issues sorted is just too much.

This year, given the exceedingly low traffic, I didn't feel right to ask the few (but incredibly loyal) sponsors who have stuck with us the last 3 years to pay anything to sponsor. So there is ZERO money coming in. I've carried UKS for the members for a few years now but I think the time has come.

I think 60 days is a reasonable amount of time for you to download anything you want from the site. I'll post a banner with the actual date at some point very soon, but if you know people who you think might want to pop back to download their layouts, grab a CyberCrop class or two, or any other resources, please let them know.

I still own the domain so at some point you may find that the UKS url points someplace else. Not sure where yet. I need to look at all of the UKS-related domains we have that point HERE (ukscrapper.co.uk, ukscrappers.com and maybe one or two others) and decide how to handle them. I am not sure what the status of the UKS Facebook page is! What I recall is someone else registered that a decade ago and added me as a moderator but I don't think I have "control" of it so that may still stay around in some form.

I am (of course) a little sad about it all, but I have not been well for a long time and when I am feeling OK there are other things I want to do. I have not been able to give UKS the time it needs. That is also part of the reason I have funded it for so long.

I'm sure this is not great news for some of you who still love this place. I am sorry, but it had to happen someday. I'm not going to waffle on.

Thank you all - it was an honor to be a part of your crafty, creative lives for so long. I hope you all have some lifelong friendships and some amazing memories of this place, and you don your rose-coloured glasses when you think back on it.

Loving Life on UKScrappers BevS97's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (7)
    I haven't been on here in such a long time but I saw this pop up and had to log in and say something.

It's been an incredible place for a very long time, and you have done an amazing job to keep it going for as long as you have. I know only too well how much work is involved.

Sadly, I think the era of this type of forum is coming to an end, but just wanted to say thank you. UKScrappers was a huge part of my life for many many years and is still a fond place to me.

just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)
    LOL! Bev it was your baby before it was mine so we all owe YOU a debt that cannot be paid.

And I agree. Forums are like dinosaurs, it's all Instagram and Shorts and Reels nowadays. I still prefer the format but not a lot of people agree

It really has been brewing for YEARS, since I got ill to begin with. If I had known, what? 6? 7 years later I would be no closer to being "well" I might have closed it down then. But much thanks to ScrapDolly and MiniOwner we were able to carry on. In the last couple of years the tide really did turn away from forums and there is no luring people back.

I didn't even ask the sponsors this year if they wanted to sponsor, there are so few people here it didn't seem worth it - although they are all STARS, the ones who stuck with UKS and the members who loved it far past when they were getting a huge audience to sell to! Once Graphtek went, it just wasn't viable, even to cover MOST of the bills, if not all.

Anyway, it is what it is. Like I said it was always going to happen one day.

Make EVERY day your new blank canvas cantstopstampin's Avatar
    No longer in my little village, still in Staffs, but I AM happy !
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (15)
    Hello and goodbye. I want to say a massive thank you to this group because you saw me through some very difficult times, it was such a busy forum for many years and no matter what time of the day or night there was nearly always someone around to chat with.
    I used to run the ATC section on here and only last year managed to part with hundreds i swapped.
    I have to admit that for the last 5 - 6 years I have only been on a few times as Facebook, Instagram etc completely took over Forum based groups. I was surprised you managed to keep it going for so long but that just proves how WONDERFUL this group was.
    I have wonderful memories of the weekly challenges you posted ................ and my gallery was full of stuff I had created. Over on the FB pages now there are so so many UKS'ers who we all recognise and all because of this group.
    it is obviously not viable for you to keep it running any more and have to admit the last time I posted (well a couple of times) I had like 3 views and no responses and I felt very sorry that from the days you had HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of active members to me receiving 3 views. Very sad indeed.
    Sorry to hear you haven't been well............... i sincerely hope you improve and feel much better very soon. AND I do want to thank you for UK Scrappers it was a truly amazing place to be.
    All the very best x

Dedicated Scrapper Voodoo Vixen's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (12)

Thanks for the good times

It's always sad to see something disappear but you are correct, it has had it's day and what days they were... you and UK Scrappers kept me sane while I scrapped around the world, replaced friends and family and gave me a reason to get up most days. Thank you for all the fun and learning and all the friendships and classes and mini books.... so many mini books!
    Annette There are no mistakes in crafting... just opportunities for more embellishments!

Scrap Happens Here Blog

Paper addict extraordinaire Mystik Nat's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    This place will always be a happy memory for me - after all it's where I virtually and then physically met so many of my wonderful crafting friends some 20-odd years ago.
    Thank you to you, Bev, Smax, and to all the team, past and present.
    You created something truly special, and UKS lives on in different ways for so many of us.
    On a personal note, I wish you all the very best MaryAnne and hope there is some improvement with your health very soon. Spend whatever free time you have doing the things that make you happy. You sure deserve it. xx

~ Natty ~

not waving but scrapping gillie63's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Bev shared your post and whilst I completely understand it is the end of an era.

UKS helped me find Bev who drove me to my first ever Bonanza back in I think 2000 and something. So many friends, many of whom I still have and with whom we have been through happy and sad, thick and thin.

I still have cyber crop LOs on my wall and every time I see them I remember those chocolate and wine fuelled weekends very fondly.

Bon voyage and I wish you better health MA

Love Gillie x

CARD MAKER AND CR OWNER
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    MaryAnne, a great big THANK YOU [COLOR="#000000"][SIZE=2]for all that you have given to this lovely place over the years. This must be a bit of a wrench for you - as well as the few of us that still come in regularly. I do find it quite strange that the first few responses on here are from folk who don't usually bother any more.
    There are a few of us that foresaw this and have arranged to keep our chats going - some of us are not keen on FB etc.

In the meantime, I wish you improved health MaryAnne and happiness in whatever you do.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (3)
    Just adding my few thoughts too although others have expressed things far better than I ever could. A huge Thank You from me too for such very happy memories on UKScrappers. I have met the most fantastic people on here who have become lifelong friends. 'Back in the day' there was always a fab buzz about the place, so many funny things happening, great scrapping challenges, Cyber Crops were wonderful & many many other events. Thanks to Bev for creating this wonderful place in the first place, Smax for keeping us straight, Mary Anne for the wonderful job of taking it on.....all those inspiring people who created wonderful layouts to inspire us. Oh the list is endless. It will always have a special place in my memory.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (6)
    Thank you MaryAnne and all who made UKS what it was. I looked in occasionally and it grew so quiet I eventually stopped popping in - circular logic or what!? The announcement appeared on my Facebook feed, so I finally came back to say goodby. Anyhow - thank you. You changed my scrapbooking world and helped me with a gazillion things.

Best wishes for improved health MaryAnne. ❤️

So many photos, so little time g61's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    MaryAnne, I'd like to second everything that has been said so well by so many others. You deserve a medal for keeping UKS going so long. Hats off to you and all the others who did anything behind the scenes to provide this playground for so many people. An achievement that I hope you are proud of.
    The writing has been on the wall for a while - you did warn us, so it was only a matter of time. I've had a blast, but nothing lasts for ever. So, thank you once again.
    Wishing you better health so that you can enjoy whatever it is that brings you joy. Take care.
    Margo

I'm a member of Scrap Happens, in the Blue Brads House

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (10)
    Thank you for everything , UKscrappets was a daily part of my life for a very long time. I am still in touch with friends that I first made on these forums.
    It’s a shame to see the forum close for good but I can see that the last time that I ventured here was over two years ago now, and I completely understand your reasons for needing to close the site. I wish you well
    Clare

Mummy to Two Beautiful, Special Boys, Jack and Sam xx butterbee's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Thank you everyone for all your hard work keeping the forum going but like you say it’s had its day. I did try and get back into a few years ago but life got in the way with a job promotion etc! I don’t even update my blog now.
    UKS has been in the past a lifeline for me, and I have truly made some incredible, life long friends, who I keep in touch with now and still meet up with them IRL…and that is down to only one place…UKS. Thank you for that, and UKS will always have a special place in my heart

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    Maryanne I know how hard you have tried and how difficult it has been at times, but I think it is the right decision.
    I took my foot off the pedal with my cancer diagnosis and you have battled on despite being very unwell.
    UKS was my scrappy home for over 20 years and like everyone I am so sad to see it go but I have made lifelong friends here and will be eternally grateful for it and for the people who made it and the fun we had over the years.

To Bev and to you and to all the members I say a huge thank you

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (52)
    Scrapdolly posted about UKS closing. Like others, I discovered UKS way back in it's hey day - I think it was 2004. The forums were hopping, the teams and challenges were fun and I developed my passion, skills and friendships through here. The focus it gave me on scrapping was a real lifesaver through some very dark parts of my life and I thank you MaryAnne and Scrapdolly for everything. Life does throw challenges in our way and I'm sad to hear you have had to deal with health problems. The fact that you kept UKS going despite this is a testament to your dedication and that has always been obvious. I've not been around here for many years, having transitioned to digital scrapping quite a while ago, but I will forever have fond memories of my time spent here. Wishing you all the best.
    A Bowl of Cherries - My personal blog