Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Help with calibration please

Hello,
    I have had to rejoin on here as my previous email address was hacked and everything went weird, anyway I was bobble21 before.
    I can see that things are pretty quiet on here, it's very sad and I am guilty of not using the site as much as I should.
    But I am busy, I run two shops and do the accounts for both but I want to get back into using my machine properly.

I'd love to use the site more often, is there anything we can do to get more interest, maybe have a regular time or day to come on here or something like that. I've had so much help over the years from this site and it would be so sad if it disappeared.

Anyway I wanted to make some vinyl stickers tonight for my sweet shop and had to calibrate the machine but it's still very slightly off. I haven't ever really got to grips with print and cut and bought a pix scan mat ages ago but haven't had the nerve to use it.
    Is it generally more accurate than print and cut.
    Thanks
    Tricia

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    It's been mentioned a few times about how little the group is used these days Tricia my thought are a lot of people have found other ways to interact such as Facebook and Youtube. As people don't come on here maybe they're not aware it includes the ScanNcut machine as well so they could probably get help with that too.

Sorry I can't help with P&C because I don't do it in fact I use my ScanNcut now I haven't used my (original) Cameo for a very long time

View Gallery

I have not used PixScan as I only used the software that came with my Cameo4.
    The machine did not come with a book, instead they refer you to the online link. Most of what I have learned is from trial and error. I owner a Cameo1 before but upgraded as they no longer supported that machine.
    Your blade depth force is the key as for stickers, you do not want the cut all the way through your material. I hope you let us know how you get on with it.
    Petrina

Not a scrapper, a card and boxer.
    View Gallery

Well my old computer at work still lets me log on as bobble21, that's a surprise. I have used the stickers because it's only to keep sweet bags closed in my shop but they are very slightly out of line. I have cut quite a bit of printable vinyl and just lately it won't line up perfectly, I'll try youtube.
    Does the lack of use on here mean the silhouette machines are in decline as well? I hope not I love mine, for a simple machine, Portrait, you can do so much with it. I feel a bit sad about it, all the lovely free files that we made and everything, oh well everything comes to an end I suppose.
    Thanks for replying.
    Tricia

View Gallery

Not to an end. This forum is the very best.
    Petrina

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Can I ask you Doreen why you've switched to the scanNcut. Is it better or easier to use or can you do more with it? Or do you just prefer it.

View Gallery

I still have my Cameo 1 just haven't used it for a long time. I like the ScanNcut SDX 1200 for several reasons it's quieter so I can craft whenever I feel like it without disturbing anyone/it detects the dept of the material so I don't have to chose the setting for the blade and I can still use all my SVG files with it. It can do several other things some need an extra kit which you can but-y you but the extra kits such as draw/emboss/paper prick/write Caligraphy. Check out Youtube for video's

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobble21 View Post
    Well my old computer at work still lets me log on as bobble21, that's a surprise. I have used the stickers because it's only to keep sweet bags closed in my shop but they are very slightly out of line. I have cut quite a bit of printable vinyl and just lately it won't line up perfectly, I'll try youtube.
    Does the lack of use on here mean the silhouette machines are in decline as well? I hope not I love mine, for a simple machine, Portrait, you can do so much with it. I feel a bit sad about it, all the lovely free files that we made and everything, oh well everything comes to an end I suppose.
    Thanks for replying.
    Tricia
    Hi Tricia,

I find if I calibrate my Silhouette 3 for print & cut I find it slightly out with my PixScan mat.

To calibrate any Silhouette machine open the send window and right click on the machine icon. Then click on Print Test Page and print it out. "Place your printed paper or card onto your cutting mat and press enter. Use the arrow keys to move your cutting blade into the first green square to the left of the black cross hairs. Then click on calibrate and it will cut the black lines. Then check if it cuts accurately in the middle of the black lines across and down. If it's out move the rulers up and down to depending how close your cut was." Repeat moving to each green square in turn until the cut line is in the middle of the black line across and down.
    Attached Images Attached Images

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Tricia1 View Post
    Can I ask you Doreen why you've switched to the scanNcut. Is it better or easier to use or can you do more with it? Or do you just prefer it.
    Tricia I bought a ScanNCut CM900 (still have it) but can't really get on with how it works and the software. I much prefer my Cameo 3, Cameo 4 and Curio machines with Studio software and my large computer screen. It is a personal preference.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Neries View Post
    Tricia I bought a ScanNCut CM900 (still have it) but can't really get on with how it works and the software. I much prefer my Cameo 3, Cameo 4 and Curio machines with Studio software and my large computer screen. It is a personal preference.

You can use the Studio software for designing files for the ScanNcut if you can save your files as SVGs Margaret but you would probably need to take them into Canvas (the ScanNcut software) to send them to your machine wirelessly

View Gallery

Hi Tricia,

I find if I calibrate my Silhouette 3 for print & cut I find it slightly out with my PixScan mat.

To calibrate any Silhouette machine open the send window and right click on the machine icon. Then click on Print Test Page and print it out. "Place your printed paper or card onto your cutting mat and press enter. Use the arrow keys to move your cutting blade into the first green square to the left of the black cross hairs. Then click on calibrate and it will cut the black lines. Then check if it cuts accurately in the middle of the black lines across and down. If it's out move the rulers up and down to depending how close your cut was." Repeat moving to each green square in turn until the cut line is in the middle of the black line across and down.
    I did the green square thing but didn't do the ruler bit, I'll try again. Thanks a lot.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by DJG View Post
    You can use the Studio software for designing files for the ScanNcut if you can save your files as SVGs Margaret but you would probably need to take them into Canvas (the ScanNcut software) to send them to your machine wirelessly
    Doreen the problem is my age. I just find it easier to stick to what I know, it is easier and quicker for me. When I first had the CM900 yes I could cut with it but with the small screen going backwards and forwards was not for me. I like everything ready on a large screen I can see and use my mouse to make alterations if needed. To me Canvas is not the same as Studio and I have been using Studio since before I bought my original Cameo.

I also found with my CM900 the scan and cut was not as accurate the further down a page it travelled cutting.

View Gallery

Doreen the problem is my age. I just find it easier to stick to what I know, it is easier and quicker for me. When I first had the CM900 yes I could cut with it but with the small screen going backwards and forwards was not for me. I like everything ready on a large screen I can see and use my mouse to make alterations if needed. To me Canvas is not the same as Studio and I have been using Studio since before I bought my original Cameo.

I also found with my CM900 the scan and cut was not as accurate the further down a page it travelled cutting.
    I'm no spring chiken myself lol I don't design on the small ScanNcut machine screen I use my laptop then open the SVG in Canvas and send it to my machine Margaret.

View Gallery

I never had luck with a Brothers machine as it used twice as much ink as any other printer - Canon, HP. For that reason, I don't trust them. In addition their cutter machine ScanNcut SDX 1200 is way more expensive than my Cameo 4.
    My Cameo 4 registration marks are spot on. If I do not add registration marks before cutting printed items, then it cuts wonky.
    Petrina

View Gallery

Can I ask what you all tend to make? Cards, Boxes etc.
    I make Cards rarely at the moment but I do make a lot of signs and things for my shop, I sell sweets.