Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you want UKS to stay open for another year?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

38 97.44%
  • No

1 2.56%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    It may just be a sheet of paper Elaine, but it’s still very precious

Well, I do try to do as many challenges as possible but life can get in the way sometimes so it can be up and down. I had a good October points wise, but November is proving to be busy for me so not managed much crafting yet
    The weekly challenges are great, thanks for organising Karen, and please don’t worry that it’s the usual core that offer to do them, it’s that usual core that love to have those challenges
    Love the scrap whispers, the twisted Scraplift, the ABC , the simple recipes and the Friday 5 challenges, sorry I don’t manage to do them all !
    I do hope we can keep UKS going, it is such a lovely friendly community.
    Alison

SNAP 2022 BTCR 2022

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Oh you did make me laugh Alison, that's why I have a craft room full of papers. Mind you, that said, I'm trying to do a LO with a Christmas theme and can I find a paper that suits, most definitely not.

I've noticed lately, that some of the regulars who disappeared for a while are back which is lovely to see. As you said, life just gets in the way sometimes.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    I hope people didn’t misunderstand my post. It doesn’t matter if you do the challenges or not ... often a challenge doesn’t suit your style, you are busy, you are not in the right place etc. But it’s about participating ... be that in chat but general chat, sharing ideas, sharing tips, sharing love of our craft. UKS used to be so vibrant and active and it’s not now ... and I am as guilty as everyone.
    I am going to try and share more, comment more etc.

I am at a loss how else to make it an active place where people want to be and maybe I am worrying about that unnecessarily. Maybe it’s fine that we are all quiet or just chat in teams. However, to attract and retain sponsors it needs to have some activity.
    No answers just dilemmas

View Gallery

I agree, it would be nice to see a few more people chatting more regularly. If we all could strive to spend just 5 minutes saying thankyou to those who provide challenges, comment on photos in the gallery, just generally show that we love it here I’m sure it would make a difference
    I agree, it is lovely to see some people returning after some time away
    Alison

SNAP 2022 BTCR 2022

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I'm glad you've pointed that out Karen as sometimes I think I talk too much. I know hubby would agree. But I know in the past this very thing about participating has been mentioned. Whether it is chatting on threads, helping someone who is stuck, encouraging newbies or leaving comments, it is all important because how else will people get to know each other. For those of us who do this already it is why keeping UKS going is so important. Could we go on FB or other sites, yes, but would we feel part of a big family as we do on here, I don't think so. UKS is special, very unique and much loved by those of us who frequent it so often.

just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)
    Quote Originally Posted by Susie.A View Post
    2 members and 111 guests.

I was talking about this situation with my hubby and funnily enough he said the same thing that I mentioned. He suggested that paying a membership fee seemed like an excellent idea but also suggested having a limit to how many times a guest could visit to decide if they wanted to join before being blocked. If someone hasn't decided after, say half a dozen hits on the site that they love it enough to want to become a member, then can they be blocked. This is assuming we can keep UKS going with the help of the sponsors and memberships.

I've noticed that one of the biggest drawbacks to how much we contribute to the site seems to be either health issues or family problems. It happens to all of us at some point and sometimes, as in my case, can continue for years. I don't use FB but Elaine does and she put it so well when she said (and I'm paraphrasing here) that it is basically about the friendliness on this site that makes it so unique.
    There is a limit to what is possible with the forum software and I’m not sure I can even do some of what you suggest.

View Gallery

There is not a way to limit people to a certain number of visits. If UKS were to carry on thru a combination of donations/payments by members and sponsorship from businesses then it would be open to anyone.

That is the Catch 22 isn't it? No one will want to pay a "fee" if they know that others who will NOT have paid a fee are still happily using the site but if no one makes any donations the amount that would take us over the threshold may not be reached!

And a further Catch 22 is that no one will want to donate if there is a possibility that even if they DO, UKS will close and that fee would be for nought, so everyone who WOULD likely donate will wait to do so till after the decision has been made to close!

I will hope to make some sort of decision by the end of the month for sure. I really do want to give people enough time to grab what they want before the lights go out.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

MaryAnne, as I said earlier, I have no idea of what you do or how you do it to keep this site running. Speaking for myself, I would still pay a subscription if it would keep UKS going whether it meant people were allowed to come on without paying or not. As I understood it, the idea was to block people completely which is why I was thinking along the route of access for a limited time to give guests a chance to see what we are about. But, I would rather pay a subscription and let anyone who wants to see what we are up to do so, than lose the site completely.

Could you ask for, can't think of the word now, 'promises' in advance to see how much would be raised in funds to keep the site going, if that would give you a better idea of whether it is then possible. I believe those who say they would contribute, will contribute and maybe it would give you a clearer picture especially if you know which sponsors are going to remain by then.

Thank you again for all you do, it only shows how little most of understand the lengths you go to with the support of Karen, Sue and anyone else I've missed out, not forgetting the sponsors of course.

Off to read your suggestions on the other thread now.

scrapping in the sun (or snow) Maria in France's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    I hope it stays around as a resource and source of inspiration and challenges. Not sure about the points thing continuing though. I came in to vote and i see its closed (sorry but have been away/busy and i cant log in from my tablet for some reason) . Anyway, i vote yes, or i would if i could, so you can add that to the vote count maybe even though i didnt get in in time.

View Gallery

A Trip Down Memory Lane says yes so it is only Graphtec I am waiting on. I am also getting a break on internet this year so slightly less outgoing. If ad click revenue is good that might help make up the difference.

All is not lost quite yet.

Dedicated Scrapper Crafty Sandra's Avatar
    View Gallery

Thanks A Trip Down Memory Lane.

Chinese whisper LO swap

View Gallery

Thanks ATDML x
    Glad things are looking a little more positive

I second what Susie says, I’m happy to pay a subscription, or even just commit to a regular ‘donation’ (would that be less work for you ?) so that we can keep going. It would be such a shame to lose this wonderful site
    Alison

SNAP 2022 BTCR 2022

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Ditto Alison, I would subscribe or donate, if it means keeping this site going.

Thanks ATDML.
    ELLIE

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by alison 2 View Post
    Thanks ATDML x
    Glad things are looking a little more positive

I second what Susie says, I’m happy to pay a subscription, or even just commit to a regular ‘donation’ (would that be less work for you ?) so that we can keep going. It would be such a shame to lose this wonderful site
    Making a donation at any time is no work at all - the link I created at the top there, under the gallery strip, does all the work!

What I CAN say is that if anyone donates NOW and the determination is made to close UKS at the end of the year, I THINK I can just click the REFUND THIS PAYMENT button and it will be returned to you. I have a donation from MAY 2018 that still shows the REFUND button and reading online it looks like I can refund payments from the last 6 months.

SO if anyone wants to donate to show their support they can do so and if it is not enough when I have to make a final decision, I can refund it. That will do two things - it will tell me how much actual support there is out there but at the same time means no one is risking losing any money if the decision is to CLOSE UKS in the end.

And that is looking less likely. As I said my internet fees have dropped (literally, I just sorted this yesterday ) so that makes up nearly the difference so far as losing one sponsor.

That might make it possible for me to just carry on with those sponsors who have said yes.

But

View Gallery

... and Country View Crafts just said YES too!