With A Name Like UKScrappers, It Has To Be Good.

Christmas Puds

by Mary Buttons

John's Tree

by Mary Buttons

The Alcott House - December sketch

by scrapdolly

Decorate

by Mary Buttons

Card

by Mary Buttons

Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Photography Forum

Notices

Graphtec UK banner

Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 953 Posts
    That’s a good question. I suppose it’s because they don’t eat as much meat as we do,
    and they eat loads of vegetables. Also especially in rural areas I think they do way
    more strenuous exercise than we do. Of course that’s only my opinion, and I don’t
    take any notice of what “experts “ say about diets, because they are always changing
    their minds, from one month to another!!
    A little of what you fancy does you good
    Ellie

View Gallery

3. The Following Users Like This Post:

alison 2 (11-08-2018),Crafty Lady (10-08-2018),Susie.A (10-08-2018)

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    It is all about what you eat with it when it comes to carbs Mary as Ellie said. I've always known I had trouble with carbs and especially mixing them with protein, so if I had a chicken salad I would lose weight but if I added in say a baked potato instead of salad, I'd put on weight. The 5:2 diet has changed my metabolism so I can eat more carbs, don't know how it worked but it did but low carb i still important. Since I've increased my carbs, because I no longer put on weight the way I did, my cholesterol and triglycerides are up, so for me eating as low carb as I can is important for heart health. Funnily enough, when I was at the doctor talking about eating low carb he was delighted and this was quite a few years ago now. Quite recently I was talking about eating healthily rather than dieting with our doctor and she said not to go to mad with the 5 a day, especially fruits because they are so high in sugar. Better to eat broccolli which we all agreed was not as nice as a nectarine. Strawberries are lower in carbs by the way. When I was doing the Atkins diet I would have strawberries and low cal jelly, the great thing about Atkins was you could have double cream on it and it was fine. All that saturated fat and my cholesterol and triglycerides were very low, it throws all we know about fats on its head. The key is don't eat fats and carbs together.

When my sister increases her carbs her cholesterol goes up as does her weight, when hubby eats carbs his cholesterol, which is always low, is nearly all bad cholesterol and when he cuts the carbs his kidney disease repairs itself.

As you said Ellie, it's what the Chinese eat with their rice and other lifestyle factors. Also, it is your own body and how it tolerates different food groups. My neighbour who has terrible diabetes which is destroying his body, as I said has lost weight cutting his carbs but it was done to bring down his blood sugar because he is losing feeling in his hands and feets - the by-product of changing his eating habits slightly is the weight loss but as his GP said, at his age quality of life is important, so he shouldn't deny himself the occasional treat. Sadly, in his case, the damage is done and all we are trying to do is prevent further damage.

I think we've been lied to by food manufacturers for years and most of the big studies promoting bad eating habits were funded by the sugar producers.

That's another of my sermons over, I'll get out of the pulpit now.

Builder is coming shortly so I'll check out what you've all been up to later but love that plaque Ellie, the wording is so true.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Mary, what a funny photo, sacrificing your child to a dinosaur, that's priceless.

Elaine, I'll check the name of the programme for you, probably the Truth About Carbs. I could never eat, bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, any of the stuff I loved and that included crisps, cakes and sweets. I would put on pounds and pounds and then couldn't lose it. The Atkins diet worked for years until I hurt my back and it wasn't lack of exercise, it was something to do with the damage to my back. I've probably mentioned this before when I was talking to a lady in Boots and she couldn't put on weight having hurt her back and I couldn't lose it for the same reason. Never found out why. Then I saw the 5:2 diet on UKS and asked the ladies if I could join in and it has been life changing because for 5 days you eat normally and take two days to drop your calories to 500 as it was when I did it. I think it is a much more manageable 800 now. But I lost two stone in no time and without exercise. I went from 10stone 1 down to 7stone 11 and had to stop because I was still losing weight and starting to look scrawny. At this age you can't do skinny. Skinny is the new scrawny. I stay at a happy 8 stone now but I have a small frame. If I eat more carbs than are good for me I throw in a low day, around 1000 calories and drop back to 8 stone. I find it is easier to lose 2lbs than 7lbs, so I don't let the weight go on. If you are thinking of losing weight, try the 5:2, it is cheap unlike lots of these diets. Great for you health and very flexible because it is a two day diet and they can be any two days to suit you. Off the soapbox again now, sorry.

That card by the way, should read he isn't listening or he's got selective deafness.

View Gallery

I bought a book a while ago for the 5-2 diet, but it states in there that if you have IBS don't do it, and I've got IBS so I didn't do it.

Scrapping is my hobby Housework isn't Mary Buttons's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    Thanked 1,500 Times in 977 Posts
    Evening folks babysitting at the moment the boys are playing with slime
    Scrappycats Team Green Button house
    My Blog Mary's Musings

View Gallery

Hope they don’t get it all over Mary.
    I remember when the girls were young, we were going on the ferry across to Belgium.
    Now eldest DD and I are terrible sailors. We were all sat at a table and youngest
    DD took out this tub of green slime that she had bought!
    We you can imagine what happened when DD and I saw her playing with it !!
    Luckily sick bags had been provided as it was rough seas.
    Ellie

9. The Following Users Like This Post

Susie.A (10-08-2018)

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I've got IBS Sheila and it is fine. For me, and it is a personal thing of course, having an empty stomach causes problems so I found 5 small meals a day worked well and certainly didn't affect the IBS at all. I have more trouble if I eat spicy foods, too much fibre, which they used to say was good for IBS but now tell you isn't and it certainly isn't for me. Lactose is a definite no-no, so I can't see why it should cause a problem providing you aren't eating things you simply cannot eat normally and don't allow yourself to get empty. My sister also has IBS and so does my niece and they've all done the 5:2 without problem. I used to have porridge right before bed with Arla milk and it was just enough to keep me full through until morning. I couldn't eat a piece of fruit in the evening because that would kick off things right through the night. What are you intolerant of in particular?

Mary, I don't know if you've seen it but there has been a health warning over certain kinds of slime that are toxic for kids. I sent it to my niece but her kids don't play with it. The article was sent by Which and it depends on which product you buy. Have you seen it and if not would you like the link? I'll send it anyway, it takes you to Facebook which I don't do but it would be on Which's site I imagine. See if that works. If they haven't been ill then I'm sure it will be one that isn't causing problems.

https://www.facebook.com/whichuk/pho...type=3&theater

Oh Ellie that is so awful but so funny.

I'm going, I'm starting to sound like a right little know-it-all. Sorry.

View Gallery

Oh flipping eck is anything safe anymore !!
    DDs slime was when it first came out in the late 70s / 80s, so don’t know what
    make it was.

My Aussie friend has IBS , and is lactose and fructose intolerant, and is also
    gluten intolerant. She has to have gluten free food, and was a nightmare for
    me to cook for her, until I got used to what she could and couldn’t eat.
    She is very ill if she does eat anything that’s bad for her.
    Ellie

View Gallery

don't think what the boys had was any of those but as they have played with it before and not got ill I suspect they will be OK
    My Blog Mary's Musings

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I just received the e-mail Mary so I passed it on to my niece and hairdresser. My hairdresser's kids do play with it but they don't have any of those and my niece's kiddies don't have it anyway. Glad your grandchildren have a safe one but just thought you'd want to know if you didn't already.

As you say Ellie, isn't anything safe these days. Mind you, a lot of stuff comes from abroad so we don't know half of what goes into it. It was something to do with high levels of boron I believe.

The mattress has landed and it had better be good because manoeuvring mattresses along our landing wasn't fun. Back and hips are in agony again but let's see if it is as good as they say. Off to bed now to test it out. I did have a lie on it earlier and it was firmer than our old one but we'll see.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (90)
    Morning
    I read a little bit going back to read it on the laptop in more detail
    I am interested in all the the chat the different diets
    I had a bit of flabby bit i stopped eating cakes biscuits (as much )and it going but will be back after the UK trip.I know
    Yes you are right Mary about the Chinese there's a Chinese lady that loves in the village she was very friendly with a friend of mine and I do remember my friend telling me that actually what she ate wasn't like the European Chinese food so maybe that a factor

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (90)
    on the laptop now can see my post came on
    I like those words I need to print those for DH Ellie he always saying he hasnt got time I say its what he makes priority
    Ellie
    yes nothing is safe anymore you are right
    ouch bet you achey Susie do take care

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    Morning.
    Lots of chat as usual ! I don’t know what to say, there’s so much to reply to !
    I do try and eat less carbs if I can, not sure about the 5:2 diet, don’t like the idea of starving myself for 2 days but I may give it a try, I do want to lose a little weight
    Our grandkids love slime so i’ll Check out that review.
    You’re right, what we have in Chinese restaurants is not like what they eat in China ! They eat a lot of vegetables, to as much meat, and they love seafood. They do like to eat though ! When we were visiting our contact in China she was always planning the next meal, she even sent the driver to get her supplies if we were keeping her too long

It’s lovely to have it a bit cooler, must go in the garden today and take advantage of it.
    Have a lovely weekend every one x
    Alison

SNAP 2018

View Gallery

I've scrapped the fun photo of Eli with his thumbs up and silly expression
    My Blog Mary's Musings

+ Post New Thread
Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast