Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (79)

Computer die cutter help needed.

A work colleague is thinking of buying a computer die cutter and asked for my advice because she knows I like crafts. Now I have a sizzix - so I have no knowledge on this.
    What would you advise?
    Tia.
    Terri

CARD MAKER AND CR OWNER
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I think it really depends on how computer savvy she / he is. Perhaps best to look at youtube or the like to see what each one can do and match that up with their knowledge and abilities as well as what they are hoping to be able to do. Asking advice on here is a great starting point though.
    I am not really in a position to advise as I still have one of the older Craft Robo (Now called Silhouette.) and use it all the time. I have learned so much from UKS over the years . You will not find a more helpful bunch of people anywhere on the net.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (79)
    Not computer savvy. Cheers for replying.
    Terri

Dedicated Scrapper Crafty Sandra's Avatar
    View Gallery

Had a cricut expressions couldn't get on with software. Tried Silhouette and it made so much sense bought a Cameo 2 and use it loads.

Chinese whisper LO swap

You wait for a silence, I wait for a word Dan99's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    It's true, the Cricut Expression wasn't the best, but I wouldn't worry about it, it's long gone, unless you dig one up second-hand. Having said that, I still have one and have never had a day's trouble with it. The only reason I don't use it now is that I have newer machines, a Cricut Explore Air and a Brother ScanNcut. I can't really pick a favourite from the two. I like the Brother because it has a built-in scanner so it makes cutting out stamped images very quick and easy. I like the Cricut because it has a huge library of materials that it knows how to cut, so you just tell it "thick card", "vellum" or whatever and it adjusts it's own settings accordingly. Much easier than other machines I have used, with their fiddly speed and pressure settings that are often trial and error. The Brother can be used without a computer, choosing options on it's built-in screen, the Cricut is used with a computer, ipad or phone. I have never used a Silhouette or Cameo but there are plenty of folks out there who love those too, so it's hard to make a choice if you know nothing about the machines yourself.

There are several videos on youtube where the machines are compared against each other, that might be a good place to start. One that comes to mind is from a channel called Kens Kreations. He's made a 3 part video where he puts each of the 3 most popular machines through their paces and compares the results. The first part is here. Of course, it's just his opinion, but it's a place to start
    New set of free designs here
    Butterfly Project Free Template here
    My Blog

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I have a silhouette cameo 2 and I love it. Like anything there is a learning curve, but it depends how you want to use it. If you’re just purchasing cut files to use or cutting titles it’s pretty straightforward and there is a huge amount of support online.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (60)
    My old Cricut Expression is still going strong but I recently bought a new Cricut Explore. It is fabulous and the Design Space software is so easy to use.