Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)

Etching With My Curio Will Not Work

I don't know if it is a fault with My Curio or Silhouette software but I can't get my Curio to Etch properly. I am using a file I used successfully in December 2016. Finding the 'Etching Settings' was my first big problem when opening the file the settings were not there. Eventually sorted that and sent it to my Curio to etch. The first part with the scrolls at the top fine, but then my Curio was shuddering. Stopped it and found it was etching the design in the wrong place.

Copied my outlines to a new file and set everything up again. Turned the plate around and started on the other side. This was even worse as it shuddered more and the scrolls were wrong and in the wrong position. I am using the Graphtec Etching Tool, not the Silhouette one.

I have uninstalled Studio 4 and debating whether to reinstall or install the last version of Studio 3.

Photo of metal plate. Screen Snipe of design and another of settings.
    Attached Images Attached Images

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Maybe Brian can help Margaret

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    My machine starts to shudder when there is paper holding the unit back from advancing. Usually caused by some of the sticky matt not holding down the cut part that has advanced- when the machine trys to reverse to make the next cut, then the first cut gets caught up under metal cross bars.
    If you are not using a sticky carrier sheet, then perhaps when the first line cuts through, the material gets caught while trying to advance. I never thought about it much when cutting vinyl, but then that is so thin it just bends instead of making the machine shudder.
    I hope you let us know how you get on with it.
    Petrina

View Gallery

£4
    Quote Originally Posted by DJG View Post
    Maybe Brian can help Margaret
    I am hoping he will Doreen. I have installed a previous version of V3. If I have time tonight I will try paper and a pen to see if that works. I am also going to tape down the holding clips on the platform as I find they do work loose as my Curio is working

Quote Originally Posted by pkcase View Post
    My machine starts to shudder when there is paper holding the unit back from advancing. Usually caused by some of the sticky matt not holding down the cut part that has advanced- when the machine trys to reverse to make the next cut, then the first cut gets caught up under metal cross bars.
    If you are not using a sticky carrier sheet, then perhaps when the first line cuts through, the material gets caught while trying to advance. I never thought about it much when cutting vinyl, but then that is so thin it just bends instead of making the machine shudder.
    I hope you let us know how you get on with it.
    Petrina thanks but it's not that. My metal sheet is firmly stuck to the sticky mat and I am etching not cutting. I checked nothing has fallen behind my Curio. Also checked the feet are firm, the front and back steady bars are out and I even borrowed a spirit level from my hubby to make sure it is level even though it is in the same place it was the last time I used it.

As the Silhouette metal sheets were £11.99 for three I am very reluctant to ruin another sheet etching again at almost £4 each.

View Gallery

Fingers crossed for you Margaret

View Gallery

Fingers crossed for you Margaret
    Doreen first try with a Sharpie pen it started off ok and then it missed the image in the middle for some reason just putting dots at various section of the design. Second try and it started drawing in a different order than the first time and when it started to miss I paused and pushed the pen down into the holder. It then worked but I could hear the felt pen squeaking as it was drawing so not sure if it was down a little too far.

View Gallery

It does sound like it's pushed in too far if it's squeaking Margaret

View Gallery

It looks like the machine stalled during the etching job, I would guess it was because the force setting is a bit high. I normally use a force setting of 15-18 when doing etching with the graphtec etching tool.

Next time you try etching use a force setting of 18 and speed 8 and see if that works better for you.
    Technical Support
    Graphtec GB
    www.graphtecgb.co.uk

View Gallery

Thank you so much Brian.

I had forgotten that the Graphtec Etching Tool had different settings than the Silhouette one. I have now found the packaging for the Premium Etching Tool and the recommendations are Speed 5 and thickness 11. Just hope I did not damage the tool using the Silhouette Studio settings as it says it may on the packaging.

View Gallery

I'd be surprised if you have damaged the tip, they are pretty robust so it should be ok.
    Technical Support
    Graphtec GB
    www.graphtecgb.co.uk

View Gallery

Brian I have no idea what is wrong as when I started again it ruined the metal sheet. I did a test piece on the sheet to check all the settings and it looked fine. I used another sheet and watched it for a while. I was then called away and when I came back my Curio had ejected the platform and the etching was a mess. It is very similar to what it did when I used a pen, missing the middle but then it did not eject the platform did finish the rest. The second time I used a pen all the pattern was there.

I only had the outlines in when I used the pen. It was the same file and I just added the etched pattern when I went to etch today. The settings were similar to yours in an old post, cross hatch, spacing 0.02 angle 45.00. The cut settings for the Premium Etching Tool was speed 5, thickness 12.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Neries; 28-03-2018 at 07:01 PM. Reason: added extra photos

View Gallery

You're not having much luck are you Margaret

View Gallery

You're not having much luck are you Margaret
    No I am not Doreen. Feeling really upset it will not do it. I wanted it done to take away with me tomorrow for a good friends birthday. I did finish her card in time.

My Fuji camera is playing up too today. I can't get the SD card back in after putting it in the computer to transfer photos. A while ago the yellow plastic clip holding the battery in place broke, although once closed the battery stays and connects to the terminals. Just waiting for the 3rd thing to go wrong now.

View Gallery

Oh what a shame, I really hope you can finish your friends gift in time Margaret

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    not been on for a long time, but when I saw your plaque Margaret, I just have to say what a lovely idea for a gift, and no wonder you are disappointed
    Grace
    (it's good to be back)
    Grace I'm getting there, 1 step at a time