Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)

Die cutting machines

I have never had one before and would like a low level entry one, what is there between a diamond press and a big shot? Both size wise and price wise and portability wise, I have no where permanent to place it so it will need to be moved around easily.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (7)
    I have had a Cuttlebug for years and am very happy with it but I would probably go for a Big Shot next time. There is a new folding Big Shot that might be more suitable if space is a problem.
    My Blog
    Mixed Media ATC Swap
    Mixed Media ATC Swap 2

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (89)
    Big Shot every time...

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    According to a survey among customers at a website I visit the Big Shot is the most wanted machine.
    “69 of the 142 comments we received mentioned the Big Shot from Sizzix, they were either using it all the time, along with other machines or saying it was the one they wanted.”
    I don’t have one but I do have a Diamond Press which I use if I can’t be bothered to use my gemini for cutting something very tiny and it’s great for little embossing folders , the ones like rulers but I think if you can afford it the Big Shot is a better buy.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    Big shot, it's a part of the family!
    Sarah x

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I've had a Big Shot since they were very first produced and it's still going strong.

Dedicated Scrapper phoenix rising's Avatar
    View Gallery

Xcut xpress without a doubt. Takes up the same floorspace as a cuttlebug when folded & cuts any die, being A4 & having a variable pressure dial. Along with a little spellbinders Sapphire I'm sorted
    Lesley

Phoenix rising

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I started out with a Cuttlebug and it is still going strong. When I moved over to A4 embossing folders and larger dies I wanted an A4 size machine. I bought the X-Cut initially, in fact I had 3 of them but each one had to be sent back because of the same fault, it wouldn't cut on the outer edge. It would start to cut then stop, then cut, then stop. It was a terrible fault and I know lots of people just like Lesley who have them and love them. One more problem I found was that plates warped very quickly. If you go that route remember the machine has a lifetime warranty so if you do have a problem you can send it back. If it is a good one then the plus side is it folds away neatly. I was carting mine round to craft shops to let others test it but they couldn't get the machines to work and nor could the store I bought it from, so I knew then that it wasn't my fault, which is the first thing you think.

I now have a Tattered lace Crossover (adjustable dial) which is nothing short of amazing. I would have gone for the Bigshot or Bigshot + but I don't think they fold away and that was important to me as I didn't have the room for it to be sitting around. The replacement I was sent for the X-cut Xpress was the Spellbinder Platinum. It folds away to the size of a toaster (that's what it reminds me of) it's a brilliant machine if you don't mind fiddling about with plates. So far I use the Crossover because it has the adjustable dial so no messing about and the plates simply don't warp at all. That said, they've stopped making it but it was made by Cheery Lyn or someone like that, so one of their machines would probably be the same. I think a lot of these machines with the all metal insides might be made by the same company just with a different cover so to speak.

I would find a craft shop who will let you try them out first, as it is a considered purchase (as they say on the tele) and you don't want to get it wrong. I was lucky that the store I bought my X-cut from were very good and realised I had 3 very bad machines, I imagine I was extremely unlucky but Do-crafts seemed to think it was an acceptable failure rate - I certainly didn't.

If you've tried die cutting at all you will know whether you really like it or not and if you are going to buy bigger dies or A4 embossing folders then I'd go for a large machine rather than a small one and then have to buy a bigger one later, but that's just my opinion.

I think you've got a good selection of machines mentioned here, it is mostly about the space you have, the size you want to cut or will want to cut once you get going, price and portability, as they can be quite heavy if you have any physical/dexterity problems.

Good luck and do let us know how you get on, oh yes and keep some space for all those dies you'll want to buy!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Thanks everyone so much for your input. It has really .made me think about what I want. There is a hobbycraft near where my son lives and I am going to see their machine next time we go. It is a price I can afford and cuts 5inch wide which will be fine for me. I just didn't want to go for a two inch one as I only want to buy one. I will not do enough to get one of the bigger ones and £50 is my limit.
    I know I want to buy the circle nesting set and square nesting dies as I find cutting circles and squares that are fully square difficult. I notice the works have them at a reasonable price so will get them with the money my Mum gives me for my birthday.

Dedicated Scrapper Crafty Sandra's Avatar
    View Gallery

The works dies cut beautifully.

Chinese whisper LO swap

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I am going to have to go to The Works, they've opened a big shop near us and I haven't been in yet. I certainly didn't know they sold dies but then I haven't been in The Works at all for quite a few years now.

I think circles are a nightmare to cut and you've done your homework which is the main thing so you'll soon be sorted.

Dedicated Scrapper Crafty Sandra's Avatar
    View Gallery

Went to the one at Freeport Braintree yesterday and they had very little craft wse and Cambridge wasn't much better the other week. Its like a lot of these type of shops very hit and miss.

Chinese whisper LO swap

Chatty papercrafter elainevking's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    I find the two near me are usually well stocked and I got some stitched banner dies in there that I find very useful. Their prices are competitive too..especially in comparison to Hobbycraft! I find their dies extortionate so you'll do well not to get yours in there Claire.