Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking > Card Challenges and Inspiration

Notices

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Lovely cards Sarah, we must have crossed there. That is a seriously cute panda.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Me too Susie, I didn’t notice either. But does it have to be straight Elaine!
    I rather like things that are on an angle. Perhaps that’s because I’m not
    a perfectionist lovely cards Sarah.
    Ellie

View Gallery

Here’s one I did, usuing old stamps with my new precision tool.
    It’s got lettering on too, and a bit of sparkle.
    Ellie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Paper addict extraordinaire Mystik Nat's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    Quote Originally Posted by alison 2 View Post
    I was tempted with the Misti but thought I’d try the precision press first and see if I use it enough.
    Haven’t even tried that yet, had it a week - I’m rubbish with gadgets !
    There are so many options available now - I was all set to love the Tonic one if they brought out a mini version but I'm not so sure now. My friend Sharon did a great comparison this summer of what is now out there so if anyone is contemplating a stamp press it's worth a watch. She also features the plastic grid templates we use - so handy whatever machine you use.

Elaine I honestly didn't notice your card being not straight until you pointed it out. It's probably one of those scenarios where now YOU've noticed it, it's more obvious to you than anyone else. Perhaps it's the perfect excuse to make another card and decide if it's still so noticeable to you before it needs writing.

Sarah great use of those older BG paper pads. I have a shelf long of 6x6 pads, I doubt I will use them up in this lifetime but I really need to make a dent in them!

Ellie - love the little accents on your butterflies. Nice stamping too.

~ Natty ~

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

That's lovely Ellie and such an intricate stamp too you were very brave. I love the little sparkly accents and most of all I can't believe you are using blue. That is the colour I am using but had to buy a blue ink pad because I didn't have one. It has arrived this afternoon so will give it a go later.

I also have lots of 6x6 paper pads Nat and every now and then will drag them out but seem to end up using some other paper. It's my scrapbook papers I worry about, I need to make a dent in them.

View Gallery

Thanks ladies.
    Susie, blue is my favourite colour, and I've got various shades of it.
    Looking forward to seeing yours.
    Ellie

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Well, don't hold your breath because the blue ink pad is much darker than I realised. It is lovely but it is more of a dark navy so I've printed the centre because I need this card for the weekend. I think I was playing around with navy and white and printed off some paper at the end of last year so will dig that out and see if it works.

I saw some beautiful crisp navy/white paper designs but can't find them to buy.

What ink pads do we all use please? I have a few Versafine which are lovely, and black Memento and Stazon. I'd buy Stazon just for smell, reminds me of almonds, sure it can't be good for me.

View Gallery

That’s a shame Susie.
    The blue on the card I made was a Stamping up one.
    I’ve just been to look at mine and I didn’t realise how many I’ve got.

Docraft Artiste ........ Hobbycraft pigment.
    Tim Holtz. Distressed ink. ..... Varsa Colour
    Memento. ............ Dewdrop Brilliance.
    Ranger, Archival. ....... Colour Box
    Stamping up. ........... Vibrance

I think that’s it.
    I like the Ranger, Memento and Dewdrop.
    Not keen on the distressed ones.
    Ellie.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I have one Tim Holtz distress which is lovely as a background stamp ink and I have used it a while ago. I used to get so confused about the different types of ink. Am I right in saying pigment inks are wetter but take longer to dry, where as Memento, Stazon and Versafine dry quickly?

View Gallery

Yes I think that’s true Susie.
    I’ve just tested them and the pigment stayed wetter longer.
    I have a Tim Holtz Weathered Wood, which is nice for backgrounds.
    Ellie

So many crafts, so little time here be dragons's Avatar
    View Gallery

I like this idea for a challenge .... I am so guilty of buying and then carefully putting away!!
    Ink pads, well, Distress, Ranger especially the Wendy Vecchi colours, Versafine, Memento, MFT ... I have some stazon but don't really use it....
    Some lovely cards so far :-)

Wendy
    New blog! Craft, Cook, Repeat
    At last I have a blog! Scrapbooks & Cookbooks

Paper addict extraordinaire Mystik Nat's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    Where to even begin with my ink collection... I mean there is a lot....

But I am now definitely moving into ink cubes rather than full pads and can then get a full size pad if it's a colour I use so much that it dries out...

I've also moved into dye ink for all my stamping except when using Versafine or white ink and Distress Oxides. As you say Susie pigment ink takes longer to dry, basically it sits on top of the paper and creates an opaque look (so more vibrant on non-white card like kraft or black). You can dry it with a heat gun but also when still wet apply embossing powder. But I found that no matter how long I left it drying it never really did in the end. Dye ink seeps into the paper. It can look splotchy at first but when you come back to it it'll have evened out and possibly lightened when it dries. Depending on the surface you've stamped on it can take a little time for this to happen, but doesn't smudge like pigment ink when still wet.

For sentiments I have the following full size pads:
    Versafine black/grey
    Hero Arts Charcoal grey - I have quite a few of their dye inks ink cubes too, but find they stain my stamps more than other dye inks
    Lawn Fawn Black Licorice
    Plus full size Versamark for conditioning stamps/stamping with Distress Ink/heat embossing

Favourite dye inks in cube form:
    Lawn Fawn hands down! I am so glad they have started releasing their inks in sets as the colours are just great
    MFT - I have about 4 sets of their cubes in the pastel shades that fit nicely in between other brands
    Altenew cubes - these are hybrid inks so dry quickly like dye inks and come in sets of 4 colours in the same family. I especially love the Sea Shore set and am hoping to get the new green and grey sets with my Christmas voucher.
    Distress Inks - I use these for stamping quite a lot as the colours are great - they are harder to stamp with clear stamps compared to other inks, so if it's a new stamp I usually ink up with Versamark a few times and stamp on scrap paper before inking with Distress Ink. If you have Distress Inks in your ink collection but have never stamped with them it's well worth a go. I especially love using Festive Berries, Pine Needles, Evergreen Bough and Mowed Lawn on Christmas foliage.

I also have older ink pads that have been discontinued like Adirondack which includes my favourite colour of all time Salmon pink - when that ink pad finally dries up I hope some company will have come up with a perfect match for it!

Mind you, no matter what inks you use you need the right paper/card to stamp on.
    I mainly use my left-over SU Whisper White for 3-step stamping but it's a think paper rather than a card in the weight I have. Otherwise I use Neenah solar crest white from Crafter's Companion and the 110 lb version which I managed to get from the US in a pack last year that I use very frugally. Otherwise I am still using Bazzill Cardshoppe Marshmallow. I have tried so many cardstocks over the years and used to think splotchy results were my doing, but it was the paper coating and formula that played a big role. I have finally found what works for me. It's only taken 15 years!

~ Natty ~

View Gallery

Wow, Nat, such a lot to digest there. Thanks for the info.
    Perhaps I’ve not been using the distressed pads properly.
    I must try again.
    Thanks for the info about card. I have a Crafters Companion shop nearby.
    so will look next time I go.
    Ellie

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I second that with another Wow, Ellie. It is such a lot to take in but you are the queen of stamping Nat and I know it is a huge part of your crafting. I must admit I love printing, I love the computer and playing around with designs and the card I am going to post was a pretty blue floral design which of course I bought the ink for which now doesn't match so I've ended up printing the centre. I'll post it anyway because the design is new but the glitter is old, that has to count for something. I had to instant alpha out the centre of the design although I could have printed or stamped the centre and put a topper over it.

I may take a screenshot of your post so I can keep it to hand on my desktop and refer back to it. Thanks for going to so much trouble to give us all the useful information.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

So I'm disappointed that the glitter doesn't really show up on this photo but it is there. I need to make a card in navy now just so I can use my new ink pad and stamps.

P1060509.png