Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking > Card Challenges and Inspiration

Notices

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Paper addict extraordinaire Mystik Nat's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)

Exclamation 2018 card challenge - January

Happy new year all!

Sorry for the delay in getting this thread up.

This year's card challenge is a slightly different approach to past years. The focus is on...

Something old - Something new

It's about showing love to those craft items of the past that may be gathering dust on a shelf somewhere, making sure new purchases are put to good use as soon as they arrive at the door, and even marrying both the old and new on your projects.

The full instructions and details for this year's challenge can be found in the intro post on my blog here. There is also a second aspect to this challenge you may want to have a go at as well. It's one of my personal goals this year to try and do multiples of cards while I have the product out on my desk. So if I cut into a piece of paper and there's not that much of it left, rather than it go back in the scrap bag I'm hoping to make another card with it there and then.

Each month I will share a design element for you to interpret as you see fit. There may or may not be a Pinterest pin for additional inspiration, but I will endeavour to list a few ideas and hints to get you started as well.

Past prompts will all be tagged under 2018 card challenge on my blog so you can find them easily in one place.

Also for those of you on Instagram, I'll be using the hashtag #2018handmadecardchallenge to share my projects there, so feel free to use this tag on Instagram as well!

The design element for January is....

Fancy Words

I look forward to seeing how you interpret it - remember I've listed a few tips over on the blog post for this month.

So all that remains for me to say is: Happy crafting in 2018!

~ Natty ~

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Happy New Year to you too Nat!

This looks interesting because I have my new precision press and lots of old stamps to try out because I have always admired your perfect stamping but have never been able to achieve it so maybe now I will let's see...

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Thanks for that Nat. I will try my best
    Ellie

Chatty papercrafter elainevking's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    I'm starting as I mean to carry on... Here's my first one.
    I used some old Bakers Twine and a stamp I have had a little while but haven't used.. So in theory it's new? Right?
    Anyway..here it is.. A thank you card for a crafty friend for some wonderful hand made goodies at Christmas
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

That is great Elaine, it reminds me of the Wordles I used to do but haven't been able to since I got my iMac, not sure if it is my fault or not, probably me. Your friend is going to love it!

View Gallery

Lovely Elaine
    Ellie

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    Thanks for the prompt Nat, looks like we are in for another fun year
    Love your card Elaine, that’s a great stamp, and the twine and bling just finish the card off beautifully
    Alison

SNAP 2022 BTCR 2022

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Well, I've learnt an important lesson today... never stamp when wearing a fluffy jumper. I was getting lovely images but kept finding minute smudges and realised I must have been transferring tiny bits of fluff off my jumper on to my clingy stamp. Okay, probably as hubby said nobody would notice, but we would wouldn't we ladies!

View Gallery

I might not Susie, not at first, because I always look at the
    overall design first. But YOU-know it’s there!!!
    Ellie

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Ellie, I tend to notice things when I've taken a photo and posted it and then see tiny things but this has annoyed me because the stamping would have been (dare I say it) perfect. Only thanks to WRMK mind you, certainly not my skill.

Paper addict extraordinaire Mystik Nat's Avatar
    View Gallery

That's a great start to the year Elaine - love that air mail style Baker's twine too - I have so much ribbon and twine knocking about from years gone by that I really want to use it on some cards this year, not just to wrap presents. Your use of an old but never used stamp is right in keeping with the spirit of this challenge. I have plenty of stamp sets where I have used certain stamps over and over, yet other ones in the set have never been inked up. Time to explore what we all have hidden away eh?

Sue I hope you enjoy your precision press - must say that the Misti I got for Christmas some 2 years ago totally revolutionised my stamping. It made it a lot easier for me to stamp things straight (I bought some plastic quilting template sheets from amazon that I cut to a 5x7 card and a regular card size to make centring easier thanks to the grid on the template sheets) and has also opened up new techniques that used to require very precise stamping which I was never good at. Plus if you make a booboo you can stamp again, and of course much easier to do multiples of something in one go with a stamp press. I know the MISTI cost a lot at the time and nothing else was really around but it has to have been my favourite crafting gift/tool in recent years. I use it on almost every project. I bet you will soon find your press indispensable - and work out what not to wear when using it!

~ Natty ~

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    I was tempted with the Misti but thought I’d try the precision press first and see if I use it enough.
    Haven’t even tried that yet, had it a week - I’m rubbish with gadgets !
    Alison

SNAP 2022 BTCR 2022

Chatty papercrafter elainevking's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    I have the precision press and have only used it a few times..including the one above..but now I've photographed it I can see it's not straight! I'm going to have to look at You Tube to see how to get better results. Now I'm undecided whether to send the card or not as Jo is a real precision crafter and I just know she'll notice! Sigh!

View Gallery

Sorting out my paper pads and a Basic Grey pad from I don't know when, that is slightly touched (2 sheets used!) and the offcut, used to make another card and found a scrap of gold paper in the scraps box. Using new stamps & relaxing after the first day back to the day job after the break.

20180102_200320.jpg
    20180102_200356.jpg
    Sarah x

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I can see what you mean now that you've pointed it out Elaine, but are sure it isn't just the camera angle. Sometimes my cards look very wonky when I take a photo and it can be just part of a card, it just depends on the curve of the card as you take the photo. If you still aren't happy with save it for another time for someone who won't notice. I hope it is just the angle of the photo, I can't say I noticed it until you pointed it out, I was too busy reading the lovely Wordle.