Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Hi Andi

that's worked a treat! You are an absolute star! Thank you so much! I'd also like to extend my thanks to Tootsie (you can stop looking now Toot's, but thank you for your very kind gesture!) and everyone else who's had any input with this post.

Regarding Silhouette Studio, I've only just realised that this is a software package and not a cutter! I thought earlier that I was being advised to use another machine's driver because it would be compatible with my Robo Craft! Am I dippy or what! I will definitely give it a squint at some point. However, I'm not really qualified to discuss this matter much as things stand, because I'm absolutely new to cutters. I have a vague notion that there are two applications involved in cutting; one which you create the art work in before sending it to the other application, which talks to the cutter itself. That's about the extent of my knowledge at the moment!

Anyway, I'm away to order some media now, and to read up on my cutter, but thanks again everyone.

Kind regards

Mick

P.S. It sounds as though no one here uses Illustrator (before joining this forum I really thought that, along with CorelDraw, it would be used almost universally), but if anyone does need to use it, for whatever reason, and they need any help, please don't hesitate to get in touch.
    Last edited by Mick_c; 12-09-2017 at 07:59 PM.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Hi Shirley

thanks for your reply. Just for future reference, are you saying that Silhouette negates the need for a driver altogether? If so, can it be used for other cutters too?

Kind regards

Mick

Dedicated Card Maker - Limited Sponsor - Shirley Anne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Mick_c View Post
    Hi Shirley

thanks for your reply. Just for future reference, are you saying that Silhouette negates the need for a driver altogether? If so, can it be used for other cutters too?

Kind regards

Mick
    Hi Mick, Silhouette Studio software can only be used with Silhouette machines but the Craft Robo is part of that family which is why you can use it with your machine. When you install the software the driver is automatically installed too, you don't have to do anything separately. I do use Illustrator to create my designs but Studio has some pretty good features too, so it is worth you giving it a go. The free basic edition of Studio will allow you to open gsd and dxf files. Once you have your files open in the software you just select the items you want to cut, choose the appropriate setting and blade to suit the material you are using and send to cut. If you google Silhouette Studio you will find lots of tutorials.You can pay to upgrade to Designer Edition which allows you to open svg files and the Business Edition enables you to save any designs you create in Studio in svg format. You can also buy a plug in called Silhouette Connect which enables you to cut direct from Illustrator https://graphtecgb.co.uk/product/sil...nnect-plug-in/. If you use Robomaster to cut dxf files created in Illustrator you will find there are lots and lots of nodes which increases cutting time and doesn't always give a smooth cut. I think from memory that if you try to edit any nodes of a dxf file in Robomaster it tends to to crash but I may be wrong. Sihouette Studio is better at handling dxf files in my opinion. Hope that helps a bit but if you need any more info re using Illustrator files I may be able to help.
    Last edited by Shirley Anne; 13-09-2017 at 08:01 AM.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    Sorry I haven't had a chance to look yet Mick.....after viewing the above comments I am guessing you might not want it now anyway? I need to go up into the loft to look, if you let me know you still need it I am happy to do that...
    Best Wishes
    Tootsie (Diane)

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tootsie View Post
    Sorry I haven't had a chance to look yet Mick.....after viewing the above comments I am guessing you might not want it now anyway? I need to go up into the loft to look, if you let me know you still need it I am happy to do that...
    Mick has got the software now Diane Andi kindly supplied it

Norfolk - just at the end of the yellow brick road
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Tootsie View Post
    Diane, I hope I didn't tread on your toes, it was just that I still had a copy of CR V5.01 actually in my folders for some reason and I could send it via dropbox for Mick to download - I am a terrible hoarder and bigger hard drives mean I'm not fighting for space all the time, that said I should take it out and pop it on a disk! As a group we are all very helpful to each other which is great (and even better when the recipient lets us know it has been useful).

Hope everyone is safe after the overnight winds; we seem to have gotten away with it here, not even power outages and ours sometimes goes off if someone sneezes. Hang on to your hats folks

Andi

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Hi Andi

I don't know how this forum works, but I posted a few words last night thanking you and everyone else who's had any input regarding my search for a driver, only to find, this afternoon, that everything's disappeared! Maybe I did something wrong posting my email address, or something, and my stuff was removed, I dunno! Etiquette has never been one of my finer points, but if I did do something wrong, I would just like to take this opportunity to apologise to the powers that be, and I don't mean that flippantly.

Anyway, I'd just like to repeat my thanks and tell you how fabulous you are! That driver worked a treat, absolutely seamless! Thank you so very much!

Before I joined this forum I assumed that the majority of folks would be using Illustrator, or some other industry standard package, to produce their art work. I know now that's not the case. However, if you or anyone else ever has the need to use it and you have any difficulty with it, you know where to turn for help.

Thank you again so much for taking the time to help me.

Kindest regards

Mick

View Gallery

You haven't done anything wrong Mick this is page two of the posts your thank you's are on page one

View Gallery

Hello again Mick. So glad it was of use and it was no trouble to help you - plus you seem happy to "pay it forward" to anyone needing help with Illustrator (sadly I don't use that programme). You have got me scratching my head a bit, Mick, I can still see all your previous posts, your last one was sent last night - post #17 - to Shirley Anne, so I'm not sure why you've lost sight of them. I'm certain you've done nothing wrong and I only suggested removing your email addy to stop it being captured by a person or bot and becoming spam fodder. I think some of the people who design files for sale do make use of Illustrator and also Coreldraw, but I get on quite well with Studio and bought the Design Edition upgrade some time ago. It has come a long way from the original CR software, which had some of us tearing our hair out quite regularly because it was quite finnicky to use successfully... but then that helped to shape what people wanted when the new Studio came out, and that has recently been given a major overhaul and is now a really nice programme to use.

Hope you have success with your cutting designs
    All the very best
    Andi

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by DJG View Post
    You haven't done anything wrong Mick this is page two of the posts your thank you's are on page one
    Ahh Doreen, if only I had a brain

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by AndiDee View Post
    Ahh Doreen, if only I had a brain

Andi

View Gallery

No you didn't treat on my toes Andi, just glad Mick is sorted out.
    Best Wishes
    Tootsie (Diane)

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Hi

my new carrier sheets arrived today, and my new blade too. Apparently, it's the blade that's used for the Silhouette, but it's backwards compatible with the CC330-20. I was able to convert and import my files from Illustrator without the need for a plugin (courtesy of a video I found on youtube), and my first cut seems to have worked fine (it contained some finely detailed curlicues which were a pain to weed out, so I'm going to bear this in mind with future designs). However, I'm a bit concerned about the unearthly sound the cutter was making as it did its work. It was akin to a bag full of spanners in a food processor. The blade seems to judder a lot too. I was so concerned at one point that I was going to power down, thinking that I'd attached the blade incorrectly. I'd just like to ask, before I use the cutter again, are these things normal?

Thanks dudes

Mick

P.S. the reason I thought that I might have been sanctioned the last time I was on here, was because my Posting Positions were all negative. I thought I had been barred from posting new threads, and so on. I feel a bit deflated now because I really thought I'd been branded as the bad boy of ukscrappers, rebel that I am!

View Gallery

The silhouette is not the quietest of machines Mick. If I think back to the time when I used my original craft robo I remember it being very noisy. The newer cameos are much better, but even then my cameo 1 can be a bit noisy compared to other cutters. I am hoping to upgrade to Cameo 3 soon which I hope will be a bit quieter, but I am not really bothered about that as long as it is cutting well that is all the really matters. I am sure if I dug my original robo out from its cupboard it would be noisy too.
    Best Wishes
    Tootsie (Diane)

Dedicated Card Maker - Limited Sponsor - Shirley Anne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Two questions - are you using Robomaster and if so are you exporting your files from Illustrator as dxf files ? If so you will find the files contain lots of nodes and that can cause the blade to judder. This is less of a problem if you are using Silhouette studio software are there is a Simplify option which smooths out the design by reducing the number of nodes. All the machines are noisy but your version particularly so if I remember.