Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking > Card Challenges and Inspiration

Notices

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Senior moments? I thought they came in MONTHS!!! new2this's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (124)
    That colour made me think of citrus .. hence this design.

Frances. My Blog

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (90)
    Nice one Frances
    love yours too Wendy the dies and daisy
    I like your christmas card Ellie its a different style
    Yours Susie so pretty as Ellie said you do do pretty so well

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    Lovely vintage style card Ellie.
    Frances, lovely idea, great little card
    Alison

SNAP 2022 BTCR 2022

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Thanks for your kind comments ladies, I think sadly 'pretty' is my default position.

Great card Wendy, nice and modern.

Ellie, I love the cool Christmassy look of yours, really lovely, an elegant card. So glad you shared on here whatever the colour.

Just about to check out yours Frances, love the green though.

Chatty papercrafter elainevking's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    Beautiful cards everyone..really like the vintagey Christmas one Ellie.
    I had a major tidy in my craft room today and I have some time tomorrow and Saturday so I may Get to make some cards..who knows! Lol

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I can't imagine your craft room needing a 'tidy' Elaine. Now mine looks like a bomb has exploded in it. Made worse by my Cutterpillar cutter and Cutterpillar Glow that are my Christmas pressies. I have the boxes sitting out and can't move and will give them back to hubby to wrap for Christmas.

The Glow is great for centring inserts for cards or layering. I find as the dark nights draw in no matter which lights I use there is a shadow, which means things often end up off-centre, not anymore. It is great for positioning inserts, photo's anything really. The light is very bright yet it doesn't hurt my eyes.

I desperately needed a new trimmer. Mine are old and you simply can't get the blades any more, in fact, they don't make this trimmer as such it is all plastic now, whereas mine are metal. The Cutterpillar does have certain faults which I have pointed out on-line, it needs a few tweaks to be the perfect trimmer, but the self sharpening blade is such a plus. My guillotine leaves oily marks on the card stock and I have to keep wiping the blade. Imagine what that was like when I was working on the wedding invites etc... and getting marks on the ivory pearlescent card.

Anyway, I am very lucky. Normally, hubby asks me what I want for Christmas and I'm not bothered so this time I've made it easy (expensive) but definitely easy for him.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (90)
    That sounds nice cutterpillar glow and cutter to send to Santa
    cant imagine your craft room a mess either elaine
    I found my old xyron 510 today in a clear out its a shame they the same you cant get cartridges so not much use now anymore

View Gallery

Not heard of the glow. My friend has the cutterpillar cutter, seems quite good and it should be for the price !
    I’m still debating which stamp positioner to get, think I’m tempted by the Misti.
    Denise, I got a refill for the 510 in America last time we went. Have a look on eBay and Amazon I think you can still get them if you want One. I used to use mine a lot, mainly use the little 150 now
    Alison

SNAP 2022 BTCR 2022

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Ridiculous price isn't it Alison and I swore I would never buy another cutter but the amount of card that can be ruined with a poor cutting blade. I had one that wasn't even straight, I had to adjust the card slightly to get it to cut evenly.

The glow is handy, especially for me because having M.E. I don't get up until noon. By the time everything has unseized and I'm washed and dressed etc... the day is almost over and the light in winter has long gone. So, I'm hoping this will help me craft in the evening. It won't help with matching colours, for me only daylight does that, I don't trust any other light, but it is brilliant for positioning and layering.

As for the cutter, only time will tell, but here are it's faults if anyone is interested. It doesn't have a plastic rest so you have to hold the card or photo with your fingers, I've had a moan about that because I don't like touching photo's in case I leave finger marks.

Secondly, the light is amazing if you are trimming wide layers, but, if you are trimming say 1mm and you have the light on, it hits you in the eyes, yet the glow doesn't do that because of the way the light is shielded.

Third thing is the positioning of the bar that the blade runs on. It should have been moved to the side by less than half an inch so you can look directly down onto the piece you are cutting. I like to judge the distance by eye, I do have a good eye for this (drives my hubby up the wall) but because the bar is directly on the edge of the cutting area you can't do that. If you look down the line you can sort of see what you're doing and with the light it helps but it is just something I prefer.

But, if it does what is says and self sharpens so you never need another blade it should be fine. Just a bit more thought and a few tweaks would have made it perfect.

I'd be interested to see what any of you think as the reviews are amazing so maybe I'm just extra fussy. Hubby is just hoping it means he won't be asked to repair trimmers anymore.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Meant to say, I always wanted a Xyron 510, what do you use yours for?

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (7)
    For what it's worth Alison I bought the Stamping Buddy Pro positioner and I love it. For £16 it was very good value and does all the things I wanted it to. It has a lip so lifting the lid is easy, you can use larger paper/card than the 7x8.25" stamping area and the inner foam can be lifted for foam mounted stamps. I use it far more than I expected to and it makes accurate positioning of things like sentiments so easy. I'm finding it brilliant for batch-making Christmas cards. Also I've been able to correct any bad inking rather than chucking something out and starting again. There are lots of comparisons on You Tube.
    My Blog
    Mixed Media ATC Swap
    Mixed Media ATC Swap 2

View Gallery

Must say I havent used my xyron 510 for a long time. I got it before the little 150 came out. Used it for fiddly die cuts as I always make a mess with glue. Love my little 150 for small letters and dies. The xyron is also good for vellum as it gives an all over covering so doesn’t show through as much as blobs of glue would.

I know what you mean about being able to see the edge you are cutting. I find that difficult with a lot of cutters, I tend to just use my eye to judge where to cut, can’t be bothered to measure everything.

I saw Shimelle using the 12x12 Misti on a LO the other Day which impressed me, but I think I may start with something smaller, I think I’d use it mainly on cards for restamping when the first doesn’t stamp properly ! Yours sounds good scrapmate, and much better value
    Alison

SNAP 2022 BTCR 2022

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Morning,
    I have a Xron510 as well. I very rarely use it because of getting the refill.
    I've only got a bit left!!! Might get myself a smaller one.
    I have a big metal Making Memories trimmer, it folds in half ,for storage, but it's
    always open on my desk. It's self sharpening, never had a new blade, and I've had
    it since I started scrapping, which is over 10 yrs ago. I don't know if they still
    make them. I find it very good.

Your Christmas presents sound lovely Susie.
    I'm putting a card on to show you . It's not green, but I want to know if you
    think that it's too plain? I've made it for my youngest GS. I've put silver
    sparkles on the antlers and the snowy bits on his face, but it doesn't show in the photo.
    What do you think?
    Ellie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Personally, I think that is lovely, can't believe you put the snowy bits on it looks so real. You're thinking it's plain because of the paleness of the background but will he notice that or is it you just being over critical of yourself. The paleness gives it a very crispy wintery feel, does that help. What a superb image, where did you get it Ellie?

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Thanks Susie.
    NO, he won't notice.!! He's 14, so I don't think these things matter.
    The background is pale , and I put it on a silver foil card, with holly on it,
    but you cant see it, because I couldn't cut the image down anymore.
    It would spoil it.
    The image is a piece I cut off a brochure that came through the door,
    It's good quality card, so I thought.. why not !!!
    I stamped the sentiment.
    Ellie