Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Trying to cut single lines...

Hi there, I haven't been on here for years but am hoping that someone can help me please!

I use the Silhouette Cameo to cut vinyl for stencils to use for sandblasting glass. What frustrates me is that it seems not matter how thin I make the lines in the image I import from Photoshop the trace always does the cutline either side of my line rather than it just being a single line, does that make any sense at all?! I've attached a picture to illustrate what I mean.

The reason I need a single line is because I don't want any kind of outline when I'm blasting it. In the past I've had to do it in separate coloured layers in Photoshop and then try and vector them in Illustrator so that it works in Silhouette Studio but it takes ages. I'm not sure if any of this is making sense but thank you for paying attention to my ramblings this far!

Many thanks

Becky x
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

If you ungroup or release the compound path you could remove one of the lines, either the inside or outside line and be left with just the one line.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    I agree with Carolina

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaUK View Post
    If you ungroup or release the compound path you could remove one of the lines, either the inside or outside line and be left with just the one line.
    Sorry for being an idiot but I released the compound path but don't know how to then remove one of the lines, if I use eraser it just all goes black. I've been using this for years but only the basic bits I've needed, I need to study it properly!

Many thanks

Becky x

View Gallery

Release the compound path, and then you may need to ungroup the design (depending on how the design was made). Once this is done you should be able to just select the inner line and then delete it.

Which file format are you using to bring the file from Illustrator to Silhouette studio? (e.g. .dxf, .jpg, .ai)

And which Silhouette Studio edition do you have? Standard Edition, Designer Edition or Business Edition?
    Technical Support
    Graphtec GB
    www.graphtecgb.co.uk

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Hi Brian,

apologies for not answering your earlier message, just trying to get my head around things! Unfortunately I have CS3 so can't get the Silhouette Connect plugin.

I use the .svg format from Illustrator to Silhouette and I'm using the Designer Edition.

Many thanks

Becky x

View Gallery

If you would like to email me a copy of one of the designs as it comes straight out of photoshop, and the same design from Illustrator in .svg format, I will take a look at them both and see if I can find a better way for you to do it. You might not even need to take the file into Illustrator, the trace tool in Studio is really good and allows for tracing of the outside edge only, so you might be able to skip the Illustrator part. I'll know more once I see the designs.

My email is support @ graphtecgb.co.uk
    Technical Support
    Graphtec GB
    www.graphtecgb.co.uk

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thanks so much Brian, I've e-mailed you the .psd file and the .svg.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    I'm sure Brian will get you sorted bexhc

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Glad you are getting it sorted.