Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)

Can't start Studio 4 - any ideas?

For some strange reason suddenly I am unable to open studio 4. I get the message "An error has occurred. It has not been possible to restore normal operation. The application must now quit" See screenshot below. I have uninstalled and re-installed, re booted the pc (running on windows 10). Has anyone come across this before, or have any ideas as to what might be causing the problem. It was all working fine yesterday! I shall contact Sil America but thought I would check on here first.

silhouette problem.JPG
    Last edited by SylviaF; 28-06-2017 at 01:38 PM.
    Sylvia x
    My Blog

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Quote Originally Posted by SylviaF View Post
    For some strange reason suddenly I am unable to open studio 4. I get the message "An error has occurred. It has not been possible to restore normal operation. The application must now quit" See screenshot below. I have uninstalled and re-installed, re booted the pc (running on windows 10). Has anyone come across this before, or have any ideas as to what might be causing the problem. It was all working fine yesterday! I shall contact Sil America but thought I would check on here first.

silhouette problem.JPG
    I can't say I've seen that Sylvia I'm using W8 .1. maybe it's to do with a Windows 10 update. I would ask Brian (Graphtec) to see if he can help you

View Gallery

I am using Windows 10 and have never had this problem Sylvia. My computer has updated to the new Creators Edition 1703 as well. As Doreen suggests Brian may be your best bet.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thanks for your replies Doreen and Sue. I have emailed Sil America and will let you know their response when I receive it. I think I will try a system restore and see if that has any effect and will contact Brian tomorrow as it's a bit late in the day now. Thanks again.
    Sylvia x
    My Blog

Dedicated Card Maker - Limited Sponsor - Shirley Anne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I have read that a clean uninstall may resolve this Sylvia https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jmIj1aSYEMs

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Shirley thank you so much for this link. It's a bit of a faff to do a clean uninstall but it has worked and I now have my software opening as it should. I was lost without it! I did contact Silhouette America support but I haven't had a response yet - I will post their reply when I receive it. Thank you once again.
    Sylvia x
    My Blog

View Gallery

Glad you're up and running again with Shirley's help Sylvia. Thank you for the link I've added it to the Silhouette software
    download's folder Shirley
    Last edited by DJG; 29-06-2017 at 04:16 PM.

View Gallery

Glad you are back up and running Sylvia. Computers are fine when they work as they should but a right pain in the backside when things go wrong aren't they?

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Jampot View Post
    Glad you are back up and running Sylvia. Computers are fine when they work as they should but a right pain in the backside when things go wrong aren't they?
    I couldn't agree more Sue. I've made a note of how to do a clean uninstall in case I should ever need it again! I must say I was quite bereft not being able to open studio, but I'm a happy bunny now - all I need is more hours in the day!
    Sylvia x
    My Blog

Dedicated Card Maker - Limited Sponsor - Shirley Anne's Avatar
    View Gallery

So pleased it worked for you Sylvia, it is so frustrating when programs misbehave !!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Shirley Anne View Post
    So pleased it worked for you Sylvia, it is so frustrating when programs misbehave !!
    Thanks again Shirley, I was beginning to think I'd never be able to open Studio again!
    Sylvia x
    My Blog

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I've now received a response from Sil America. Their solution is not quite as in depth as the one provided in Shirley's link but I thought I would post it for the record:

"Hello Sylvia,

Thank you for contacting us. My name is Macenzie and I will be helping to resolve your questions and concerns on this matter. We would like to request that you please do the following to clear your Silhouette Studio software preferences. Please note that this procedure will result in the removal of user generated cut settings (blade/thickness/speed settings) and user option selections:

Mac

Close Silhouette Studio®
    Open the Finder
    Press [Cmd]+[Shift]+G
    Type in ~/Library/Preferences
    Press Return
    Delete the Folder com.aspexsoftware.Silhouette_Studio with all its sub-content
    Empty the Trash
    Re-open Silhouette Studio®

PC

Close Silhouette Studio®
    Press [Windows]+R on your keyboard simultaneously
    [Windows] key is between [Ctrl] and [Alt]
    In Run window type %appdata%
    Press Enter
    Empty the Recycle Bin
    Re-open the Silhouette Studio software

Please let us know if you require any further assistance after doing so.

Thank you,
    Macenzie
    Silhouette Support Team"
    Sylvia x
    My Blog

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Yeah complete clean uninstall was the only way to solve this. I have been suggesting this all over Facebook with the link Shirley has posted here. Quite a few people have been having the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirley Anne View Post
    I have read that a clean uninstall may resolve this Sylvia https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jmIj1aSYEMs

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by SylviaF View Post
    I've now received a response from Sil America. Their solution is not quite as in depth as the one provided in Shirley's link but I thought I would post it for the record:

"Hello Sylvia,

Thank you for contacting us. My name is Macenzie and I will be helping to resolve your questions and concerns on this matter. We would like to request that you please do the following to clear your Silhouette Studio software preferences. Please note that this procedure will result in the removal of user generated cut settings (blade/thickness/speed settings) and user option selections:

Mac

Close Silhouette Studio®
    Open the Finder
    Press [Cmd]+[Shift]+G
    Type in ~/Library/Preferences
    Press Return
    Empty the Trash
    Re-open Silhouette Studio®

PC

Close Silhouette Studio®
    Press [Windows]+R on your keyboard simultaneously
    [Windows] key is between [Ctrl] and [Alt]
    In Run window type %appdata%
    Press Enter
    Empty the Recycle Bin
    Re-open the Silhouette Studio software

Please let us know if you require any further assistance after doing so.

Thank you,
    Macenzie
    Silhouette Support Team"
    Thank you for posting SA reply Sylvia

View Gallery

Sorry, I have only just seen this. I wrote a small preference reset tool a while ago to help with this exact issue, so if it ever happens again and you are using a PC rather than a mac then please try using the tool below, as it should be a bit quicker than doing a full clean install.

http://downloads.graphtecgb.co.uk/so...PrefsReset.zip
    Technical Support
    Graphtec GB
    www.graphtecgb.co.uk