Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting mat

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Cutting mat

Do you think it might be quite safe to use my cricut cutting mats in my cameo 3 just for cutting? I know i would still need to use the silhouette one to print and cut as that is so precise but just for cutting i was thinking i might be able to use the cricut ones as i have loads of them lol. I have read that you can use them but i have never tried and i don't fancy damaging my new cameo

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Quote Originally Posted by ellygreen View Post
    Do you think it might be quite safe to use my cricut cutting mats in my cameo 3 just for cutting? I know i would still need to use the silhouette one to print and cut as that is so precise but just for cutting i was thinking i might be able to use the cricut ones as i have loads of them lol. I have read that you can use them but i have never tried and i don't fancy damaging my new cameo
    I use a Cricket Expression with mine Helen although I think the the grid might be a slightly different....I haven't got a Silhouette one at the moment to compare it with so you might want to check it for the placing of the file's

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Good idea Doreen I will check later

Quote Originally Posted by DJG View Post
    I use a Cricket Expression with mine Helen although I think the the grid might be a slightly different....I haven't got a Silhouette one at the moment to compare it with so you might want to check it for the placing of the file's

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

The grids are the same as the silhouette mats but the Cricut mats are slightly bigger around the edge and quite a bit bigger at the top which could throw things out a bit to much so I am going to stick with using the correct mats

View Gallery

Thank for letting us know Helen

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    When I had my old Robo, I used to use the Cricut mats all the time and never had too much of a problem. I used to cut a 12 x 24 into the size for a Robo. Since I have had my Cameo though (only a year ago) I have only used the proper mats in it.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    The grids are the same as the silhouette mats but the Cricut mats are slightly bigger around the edge and quite a bit bigger at the top which could throw things out a bit to much so I am going to stick with using the correct mats
    Helen I used Cricut mats all the time with my old Cameo including for print & cut. I used my Silhouette mat as a template and cut with scissors 5mm off top and bottom. They are slightly wider on the width but just a case of finding the centre, which meant slightly over the left side marker. With my Cameo 3 it's easier as there is the big blue line and arrow on the left and a small blue arrow on the right. So it's slightly over by the same amount each side of the arrows. I hope this makes sense and helps.

I find the Cricut mats firmer, last longer, as they do not mark as easily as the Silhouette mats. The sticky lasts longer too.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I can see how to get around the sides being slightly bigger but How does it work with the top of the mat being so much bigger though? I should have thought that would thrown things out quite a bit as the mat would not load in as far as the silhouette mat.

Quote Originally Posted by Neries View Post
    Helen I used Cricut mats all the time with my old Cameo including for print & cut. I used my Silhouette mat as a template and cut with scissors 5mm off top and bottom. They are slightly wider on the width but just a case of finding the centre, which meant slightly over the left side marker. With my Cameo 3 it's easier as there is the big blue line and arrow on the left and a small blue arrow on the right. So it's slightly over by the same amount each side of the arrows. I hope this makes sense and helps.

I find the Cricut mats firmer, last longer, as they do not mark as easily as the Silhouette mats. The sticky lasts longer too.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    I can see how to get around the sides being slightly bigger but How does it work with the top of the mat being so much bigger though? I should have thought that would thrown things out quite a bit as the mat would not load in as far as the silhouette mat.
    Helen it does not throw out taking the mat in as I remove 5mm along top and bottom so it is the same size as the Silhouette mat. The Cricut mat is longer than the Silhouette mat by 10mm. I use an old Silhouette mat removing the blue top cover, put it on top of the Cricut mat (checking the squares line up), run a pen along the top edge then the bottom edge. Use a pair of scissors to cut along the pen lines. The amount it might be out because of the pen line is not much. For print & cut it does not matter because that is guided by the registration marks and I found very accurate.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

That sounds good I might try it with one of my old cricut mats later and see how I go on
    for all the info

Quote Originally Posted by Neries View Post
    Helen it does not throw out taking the mat in as I remove 5mm along top and bottom so it is the same size as the Silhouette mat. The Cricut mat is longer than the Silhouette mat by 10mm. I use an old Silhouette mat removing the blue top cover, put it on top of the Cricut mat (checking the squares line up), run a pen along the top edge then the bottom edge. Use a pair of scissors to cut along the pen lines. The amount it might be out because of the pen line is not much. For print & cut it does not matter because that is guided by the registration marks and I found very accurate.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I did it. I cut down one of the old cricut mats and gave it a test run on normal cut first which was bang on, then on print and cut that was bang on, then on pen and cut that one was out for some reason but it can't have been due to the mat i am sure.

Mat cut to size.
    IMG_20170506_104836694.jpg

Print and cut
    IMG_20170506_104850430.jpg

Pen and cut
    IMG_20170506_110641768.jpg

View Gallery

Looking good Helen

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Doreen i don't want to open another new thread lol
    When you duplicate something it still has the original selected as well as the duplicated image do you have any idea how to stop it doing that? I find it most irritating, I go to move the copied item and it moves the original as well.

Looking good Helen

View Gallery

Haven't come across that problem Helen have you tried ungrouping them

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Haven't come across that problem Helen have you tried ungrouping them
    I have to click off to release them both then select the duplicated one to move it but i quite often forget to and end up moving them both as they are both selected automatically once you duplicate. It is quite odd i am sure that never happened before this new silhouette studio.