Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (8)

Help for poor Cricut

I have a perfectly workable Cricut sitting on my desk looking very forlorn. I was forced into purchasing a new laptop as my motherboard on my beloved 7 year old lappy died, but new lappy and old cricut don't want to play nice and become good friends. I get the error message This device is too old (!) for usb converter 3 Please plug into a usb 2 slot. Trouble is, I am plugged into a usb 2 slot

I am guessing the problem is a driver one but have no idea how to go about updating drivers. Google is not being my friend on this, only harps on about Craft Room or some such software that I have never had, since I use the original Sure cutsalot 2 purchased before Provocraft took out the law suite, and have never upgraded my firmware.

If any tech savvy person has any ideas on this, short of stealing my DH's ancient laptop whenever I need to cut out a shape or font I am open to suggestions. I don't really want to buy a new machine because as far as I can see all of them need you to pay for extras to cut stuff out (which my old set up didn't). Plus other than not wishing to talk to my laptop it does cut out really well (providing I only want to cut stuff on the George cartridge).

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Try installing the FTDI USB drivers, http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

If that doesn’t work, try using a different USB lead (it’s the same USB lead as a printer).

Ian
    Ian Wadsworth MEng (Software Engineering)

View Gallery

Thx Ian,I tried installing the drivers, but no joy.
    I dont have another printer cable to hand right now, I will send DH up into the attic to look through the large box of cables stored for 'just in case' purposes at the weekend. Fingers crossed.

View Gallery

You could also try: -

• Plugging in a USB Memory Stick, or a USB Printer, or a USB Mouse, or a USB Keyboard, to make sure the USB ports work.
    • Plugging the Cricut into another computer to make sure the Cricut still works.
    • Plugging in a USB hub to the laptop, and then plug in the Cricut to the USB hub.

Ian

View Gallery

check to 1, 2 and 3, my external hard drive and mouse both work fine on both of the usb 2 slots, the cricut is actually being recognised as a serial connected device and is definitely working as it is recognised on my DH's laptop (he just doesnt have SCAL installed on his ...... atm!).

As soon as I can get to this all important box of cables I will also try the usb hub thing as I think there is one of those in with the cables

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    If you still have your download of SCAL2 you should be able to install it on your hubby's pc too or have you already tried that

View Gallery

it seems it is a usb issue, because it is now hanging on Checking mat - but not every time, as 1 time in 100 or so it will actually make the cut! Seems lots of peeps on line have similar problems but so far no solution.

I have now installed on hubby's ancient laptop. Thanks for all the suggestions

View Gallery

So what did you do to get your Cricut to work with your new laptop?

The ‘checking mat’ and ‘checking cartridge’ is possibly due to a faster computer being used. Make the Cut (MTC) sometimes suffers from this fault.

If your new laptop runs Windows 10 or lower, I have some cutting only software (my own software, and you can still use SCAL to design in) that should work with the Cricut. I can’t give a link, but if your interested, just send me a private message (PM).

Ian

View Gallery

I downloaded and installed the drivers you linked to and then I also installed the drivers through SCAL2. When I go to cut through SCAL2 now, the display on the cricut flashes 'USB active' but as soon as the software reaches the 'Checking mat' stage it goes back to displaying 'press key to make cut' or similar message. The SCAL software is then hanging on 'checking mat' and I have to use task manager to get out of it. I would love to have a go at the cutting software if thats ok. I'll give you a pm with my specs if that helps.