Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Help with making faux stitched look on squares

I would like to make faux stitched look squares, as you see made on manual die cut machines.Could someone point me
    in the right directions please.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Yes i always wanted to do that as well

Quote Originally Posted by PRINCESSRUTH2 View Post
    I would like to make faux stitched look squares, as you see made on manual die cut machines.Could someone point me
    in the right directions please.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    I'm not sure I've seen one of those dies. Without adding a link can you name one or two I can have a look at to see what you mean

Norfolk - just at the end of the yellow brick road
    View Gallery

I don't know if this might help, or even if it is what you are looking for. On the SilhouetteUK blog there is a free download of a dingbat font called Crafter Stitch. The blog post date is Sunday 19th June 2016. The post explains how to use it. It is for personal use only, so don't know if it will be any use for you. Below is the chart of the various dingbats included. An alternative would be to draw a square to the size you require, internal offset it as much as you need then change the unbroken line of the inner square to the perforated line; use a pen to draw the inner perforated square as per the example (or you could try using a dried-up pen to etch the perforations, but you would need to experiment with how much pressure to use - I've done it successfully with metallic card and mirri card.)

Andi
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thank you very much. I knew about doing it with a pen but always thought it would be nice if you could get it like it does on the die cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by AndiDee View Post
    I don't know if this might help, or even if it is what you are looking for. On the SilhouetteUK blog there is a free download of a dingbat font called Crafter Stitch. The blog post date is Sunday 19th June 2016. The post explains how to use it. It is for personal use only, so don't know if it will be any use for you. Below is the chart of the various dingbats included. An alternative would be to draw a square to the size you require, internal offset it as much as you need then change the unbroken line of the inner square to the perforated line; use a pen to draw the inner perforated square as per the example (or you could try using a dried-up pen to etch the perforations, but you would need to experiment with how much pressure to use - I've done it successfully with metallic card and mirri card.)

Andi

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    I have used this one before and the effect is really good. Some of them are really effective.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thank you Andi for your help. I shall look it up.Thanks for the diagram too. That's a good idea using pen for inside square.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

This card that I made a few weeks back was done using the way Andi suggests.

IMG_1120.JPG

Thank you Andi for your help. I shall look it up.Thanks for the diagram too. That's a good idea using pen for inside square.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Quote Originally Posted by ellygreen View Post
    This card that I made a few weeks back was done using the way Andi suggests.

IMG_1120.JPG
    Very pretty card Helen

Norfolk - just at the end of the yellow brick road
    View Gallery

That's a good idea using pen for inside square.
    If you are going for the "empty pen" embossing style you do need a pen with a very thin point or you could use a fine embossing tool if you have one and it fits the holder. If you are going to write the faux stitching it still looks best if your pen has a fine point - I like the Staedtler triplus fineliner markers which are only 0.3mm (used to love the metallic ones but they have been discontinued), the standard colour packs are readily available in stationery outlets and supermarkets although they aren't cheap - I'm sure the sellers on here will have them or an equivalent -the good thing about the Staedtler ones is they fit in the wide barrelled pen holder (I've got the original green holders that came out with the CraftRobo). The pack of 20 fineliners has a nice dark grey that looks good as the stitching. Anyway, glad I was of some help.

Andi
    P.S Your card is lovely Helen!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

That's a lovely card Helen.