Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

CB09 Cutter Blades

Another Forum which I suspect many Silhouette owners use sings the praises of this blade (which is a Graphtec blade) but although many of the adverts identify it with Silhouette Cameo I see that posts on here in 2013 say it's a NoNo for Silhouette machines. Has anything changed? I see also that there is a wide variation in price, am I right in thinking that the cheap versions are imitations of the original? Lastly, could it be used with a Cameo 3? I'll be grateful for any current feedback.
    Shirley

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    I've seen many posts in various groups mentioning this blade Shirley it was Graphtec who said not to use them because they're too heavy for the carriage. That was said some time ago so I would ask Brian if they still say the same although looking on their website it looks like they're sold for the profession machines because I can't see them in the craft section with the other blades.

Norfolk - just at the end of the yellow brick road
    View Gallery

Hi Shirley, I can't answer your question about the Cam3 as I am still a Cam2 gal, but there was quite a bit of discussion about the CB09 blade a while back. If you search for "cb09 blade", responses come up from Silhouette School, Ligaya, PaperPulseBlogspot etc and I also think that Kay from CleverSomeDay did some research on them. The blades come in three different angles 15,30 and 60 degrees and each deals with a different kind of medium, you also need to purchase a special blade holder. Alarmingly the Silhouette School blog talks about having to disassemble part of the blade housing on the machine, to stretch the blade housing so that it will accommodate the holder, and then reassemble it!! - but, looking at the pictures, that seems to be for the original Cameo, and the post is from October 21st 2015; whether that is still necessary I can't say (plus I think the Cam3 has a different method of locking the blade holder into the housing, it pushes and grips rather than twists). Graphtec do sell the CB09's and various housings. Buying away from that site seems to be a lottery - my advice to you is the old adage "If it looks too good to be true then it probably is" - there are loads of companies offering these items but I suspect the materials used to make them may be inferior; at least Graphtec backs up what it sells and, as I'm sure you've seen, Brian and the team go the extra mile to help us all - finding reviews of the products and companies is always useful, and obviously don't go by all the 5* ones, people are sometimes corralled into giving good reviews!! (Not trying to preach or teach my granny to suck eggs, Shirley, so no offence meant!)

Andi

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJG View Post
    I've seen many posts in various groups mentioning this blade Shirley it was Graphtec who said not to use them because they're too heavy for the carriage. That was said some time ago so I would ask Brian if they still say the same although looking on their website it looks like they're sold for the profession machines because I can't see them in the craft section with the other blades.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndiDee View Post
    Hi Shirley, I can't answer your question about the Cam3 as I am still a Cam2 gal, but there was quite a bit of discussion about the CB09 blade a while back. If you search for "cb09 blade", responses come up from Silhouette School, Ligaya, PaperPulseBlogspot etc and I also think that Kay from CleverSomeDay did some research on them. The blades come in three different angles 15,30 and 60 degrees and each deals with a different kind of medium, you also need to purchase a special blade holder. Alarmingly the Silhouette School blog talks about having to disassemble part of the blade housing on the machine, to stretch the blade housing so that it will accommodate the holder, and then reassemble it!! - but, looking at the pictures, that seems to be for the original Cameo, and the post is from October 21st 2015; whether that is still necessary I can't say (plus I think the Cam3 has a different method of locking the blade holder into the housing, it pushes and grips rather than twists). Graphtec do sell the CB09's and various housings. Buying away from that site seems to be a lottery - my advice to you is the old adage "If it looks too good to be true then it probably is" - there are loads of companies offering these items but I suspect the materials used to make them may be inferior; at least Graphtec backs up what it sells and, as I'm sure you've seen, Brian and the team go the extra mile to help us all - finding reviews of the products and companies is always useful, and obviously don't go by all the 5* ones, people are sometimes corralled into giving good reviews!! (Not trying to preach or teach my granny to suck eggs, Shirley, so no offence meant!)

Andi
    Shirley adding to what Doreen and Andi have said it would I think invalidate your Cameo 3 warranty. I am sure that Brian has said in the past that that particular blade is too heavy for the blade housing and could burn the motor out.

View Gallery

Thank you Doreen and Andi (no offence taken Andi - just grateful for your response). The reason I asked is that I received an email from Silhouette School as recently as 23rd Feb about cutting tiny script fonts in vinyl and one of the tips was to use the CB09 blade. Following her tips I tried 4 times with the ratchet blade without success, wasted quite a bit of vinyl and finished up writing the text I wanted instead but I didn't have the colour sketch pen I really wanted so was disappointed with the result. Only bought my machine in November so I don't want to compromise my warranty, I just wondered if it was now acceptable with the latest machine but if it's not on the Graphtec Craft website then I guess not.
    Shirley

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by BowBow View Post
    Thank you Doreen and Andi (no offence taken Andi - just grateful for your response). The reason I asked is that I received an email from Silhouette School as recently as 23rd Feb about cutting tiny script fonts in vinyl and one of the tips was to use the CB09 blade. Following her tips I tried 4 times with the ratchet blade without success, wasted quite a bit of vinyl and finished up writing the text I wanted instead but I didn't have the colour sketch pen I really wanted so was disappointed with the result. Only bought my machine in November so I don't want to compromise my warranty, I just wondered if it was now acceptable with the latest machine but if it's not on the Graphtec Craft website then I guess not.
    Shirley
    It is on Graphtec website Shirley but it's with the professional machines not the craft machines. Melissa who has the Silhouette School group I sometimes think pushes the boundaries but that's just my opinion

Dedicated Card Maker - Limited Sponsor - Shirley Anne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by DJG View Post
    It is on Graphtec website Shirley but it's with the professional machines not the craft machines. Melissa who has the Silhouette School group I sometimes think pushes the boundaries but that's just my opinion
    I agree with you Doreen I think she does. if it was suitable for the Cameo Graphtec would sell it with the Craft machines.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

The blade does fit in the silhouette holder ( well mine does) but it doesn't have the blade settings like the silhouette ones so you have to guess how long to put the blade for each material. It's a bit hit and miss. In other forums you find people just use one setting. I don't use mine much as it is much heavier than the silhouette blades. I prefer to stick to the recommended Silhouette makes. I've just bought the premium blade so I'll be interested to see how it performs.
    Last edited by cariad_1; 26-02-2017 at 05:53 PM. Reason: added words

View Gallery

Just a quick heads up about using CB09 blade holders in your Silhouette machine - The CB09 holders are slightly fatter than the Silhouette holders and whilst they do fit in the machines they will stretch the blade holder mechanism over time, so in the end it will not be able to grip the standard blades correctly. I did a lot of testing with a CB09 holder in one of my Cameos and after switching back to a Silhouette blade I noticed the blade would pop up out of the holder whenever the Cameo pressed down to apply downforce when cutting so there was no way to use a Silhouette blade in that machine again unless you wrapped tape around the Silhouette blade holders to compensate for the stretched blade mechanism, plus the CB09 holders are a lot heavier than the Silhouette blades, which is not good for the machine itself.

Another thing about CB09 is the proper Graphtec CB09 blade holders cost £126 (inc. vat), and the cheaper German made ones are £69, and this is just the holders without any blades (the blades for the holders are £45 and £14 each). So the ones that are doing the rounds in the crafting circles are all cheap chinese copies and the blade quality can be very hit and miss.

At the end of the day, the machines are yours and it's your choice what blades you use but I would always recommend using the Silhouette ratchet or premium blades and avoiding the cheap CB09 blades & holders, certainly whilst the machines are still in warranty. From a cut quality point of view, I see no benefit in using a CB09 blade (even the proper Graphtec ones) as you can get just as good cut quality from a normal ratchet or premium blade.
    Last edited by BrianP; 27-02-2017 at 12:05 PM.
    Technical Support
    Graphtec GB
    www.graphtecgb.co.uk

View Gallery

Thank you Brian for clearing that up although I haven't and wouldn't use those blades even in my original Cameo

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (6)
    I wouldn't dream of using anything other than SIL brand things in my machine. They are made especially for the SIL and, therefore, are perfect. I paid a lot of money for my Cammie amd I would do nothing to damage it. That is my view, I know others have different ones. Blades and mats ARE expensive BUT if they are treated properly, using the correct settings last a VERY long time. My premium blade has been in use now for around a year. I think it is just going blunt, as several thicker bits of card haven't cut through properly so I have just bought another. I think a year is pretty good going considering the use it is having.
    Sheila

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I had a blue Silhouette blade that lasted me nearly 2 years. I cut all sorts of card, paper and some thin plastics (stencil stuff) with it before it finally went blunt!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (6)
    Mine's never lasted that long, and I am not ready to ditch the P blade, yet. Just having to adjust the settings a little on the thick card I am cutting at the moment. Hoping, under normal use, it will last a lot longer yet! I have nearly finished doing the thick card.
    Sheila