Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Ok I'll try that, I was using the sticky link we have at the top of the chat section

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Hope it works. I have put a link to it in my favourites bar.

View Gallery

I've just used Shirley's link and it's the same one I was using it's definitely been changed since I posted the screenshot......looks like we're going backwards but I'm going to stick with 4.0.478 until the next update

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I still get the link to beta Beta and Legacy versions but the only version to download is 4.0.472 so I am also sticking
    with 4.0.478 until the next update. I wonder how many updates there will be before it is no longer in Beta.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    I still get the link to beta Beta and Legacy versions but the only version to download is 4.0.472 so I am also sticking
    with 4.0.478 until the next update. I wonder how many updates there will be before it is no longer in Beta.
    Yes I get that one too but when I looked previously it was the one in my screenshot. Goodness knows how many there will be I just wish they would get it sorted before releasing it

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    I've given up on Studio 4 and reverted to Studio 3. I just can't get the 4 software to do as its told! Numerous probs trying to cut with it and also crashing. I will wait for a more stable version to be released before I try it again.
    Sylvia x
    My Blog

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by SylviaF View Post
    I've given up on Studio 4 and reverted to Studio 3. I just can't get the 4 software to do as its told! Numerous probs trying to cut with it and also crashing. I will wait for a more stable version to be released before I try it again.
    I've only got it on my laptop I use my desktop with my Cameo and that still has V3 on it. I want to get used to the layout in V4 so I do the updates when they're available and send a report if I find any bugs but people shouldn't need to be testers for each update that's released....I know we don't HAVE to but why release it when there are SO many problems to iron out

Dedicated Card Maker - Limited Sponsor - Shirley Anne's Avatar
    View Gallery

The whole objective of beta testing is to find shortcomings and get feedback to hopefully provide a stable program so if we use the beta we have to expect to be guinea pigs for the product - as Doreen says there is no obligation to use it but it's something all the big software providers do with new programs.

View Gallery

Why do they do it? To save money of course!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

They've updated Beta 4 to version 482, lets hope they've sorted some more issues.

Norfolk - just at the end of the yellow brick road
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Shirley Anne View Post
    The whole objective of beta testing is to find shortcomings and get feedback to hopefully provide a stable program so if we use the beta we have to expect to be guinea pigs for the product - as Doreen says there is no obligation to use it but it's something all the big software providers do with new programs.
    In my experience beta testing always used to be a company offering a dedicated, chosen group of people first pickings; sometimes the company would ensure that all the beta testers had exactly the same set up on their machines so the bugs were then almost certainly due to the errors in the programme code, or that they were fully aware of the beta testers operating set ups so they knew where probable/possible clashes were occurring. Now there is no "control" setup and people in many different countries are the testers, in other words people may have all kinds of programmes on their machines, which are nothing to do with the programme that is being tested but that conflict with the update in all sorts of ways, and it is almost impossible to recreate the problems because there is this lack of a control, goodness knows how they are keeping up with all the emails they must be getting. The fact that updates seem to be coming out at five minute intervals shows just how much work still needs to be done; all this at a time where they are just showcasing a new machine - which itself has loads of issues - tells the story of just how cut throat the whole business has become. I now feel vindicated in not giving in to my indecision regarding whether to upgrade my Cam2, and not getting into the beta test issues I'm hearing about here and on the various groups I follow. I want to keep up with the latest version of my chosen software but currently the hassle involved is just not worth it IMO, I'll wait until a stable version is out there and then I'll go back to school. By beta testing for Silhouette you are effectively saving them a fortune but sadly I'm not sure they will be grateful, that said it is not just Silhouette but all the crafting companies because they know there is a lot of money to be made from us crafters.

Andi
    Last edited by AndiDee; 02-03-2017 at 03:32 PM.

View Gallery

I've just had a reply to the message I sent to SA yesterday.....
    Thank you for getting in contact!

The following issue has now been resolved:

My message to them The latest version of Studio on your website is only 55mb so can't be the complete software I also sent a screenshot of the error message

SA reply SS4.0.482 is now ready for download: https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/so...egacy-software

We are currently investigating why the file size is displaying as 44mb.

The download link will still install the complete SS4.0 software.

If you have any questions or further feedback, please get back in contact.

It's downloading as I type

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by AndiDee View Post
    In my experience beta testing always used to be a company offering a dedicated, chosen group of people first pickings; sometimes the company would ensure that all the beta testers had exactly the same set up on their machines so the bugs were then almost certainly due to the errors in the programme code, or that they were fully aware of the beta testers operating set ups so they knew where probable/possible clashes were occurring. Now there is no "control" setup and people in many different countries are the testers, in other words people may have all kinds of programmes on their machines, which are nothing to do with the programme that is being tested but that conflict with the update in all sorts of ways, and it is almost impossible to recreate the problems because there is this lack of a control, goodness knows how they are keeping up with all the emails they must be getting. The fact that updates seem to be coming out at five minute intervals shows just how much work still needs to be done; all this at a time where they are just showcasing a new machine - which itself has loads of issues - tells the story of just how cut throat the whole business has become. I now feel vindicated in not giving in to my indecision regarding whether to upgrade my Cam2, and not getting into the beta test issues I'm hearing about here and on the various groups I follow. I want to keep up with the latest version of my chosen software but currently the hassle involved is just not worth it IMO, I'll wait until a stable version is out there and then I'll go back to school. By beta testing for Silhouette you are effectively saving them a fortune but sadly I'm not sure they will be grateful, that said it is not just Silhouette but all the crafting companies because they know there is a lot of money to be made from us crafters.

Andi
    I think the difference here is between Closed and Open beta testing. Closed beta versions are usually released to a select group of testers by invitation only and I do believe that Silhouette do have such a group who test the software initially. Open betas are then offered to a larger group of the general public, the idea being that users can report any bugs that they find, and sometimes suggest additional features they think should be available in the final version.

If you are willing, have the time and a spare laptop to try it on I still think it is a good idea for us users to give feedback to hopefully get the product we want but at the end of the day it's really a personal choice thing.

Norfolk - just at the end of the yellow brick road
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Shirley Anne View Post
    Open betas are then offered to a larger group of the general public, the idea being that users can report any bugs that they find, and sometimes suggest additional features they think should be available in the final version.
    Sadly Shirley, they don't seem to be reading the wishlists: quote from CleverSomeday's blog a couple of weeks ago >After first being hyped last May, Silhouette Studio version 4 arrived in public beta last week, but notably missing pretty much everything that was promised at its announcement, or anything from our longstanding wishlists< She sounds pretty fed up.

Andi

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by AndiDee View Post
    Sadly Shirley, they don't seem to be reading the wishlists: quote from CleverSomeday's blog a couple of weeks ago >After first being hyped last May, Silhouette Studio version 4 arrived in public beta last week, but notably missing pretty much everything that was promised at its announcement, or anything from our longstanding wishlists< She sounds pretty fed up.

Andi
    I know Doreen as well as me has made suggestions and at least we have email acknowledgements but it's another story whether they will ever get actioned !! Having said that we have to remember that the basic program is free so I doubt they will cater to all our wish lists, I know what I have to pay for Adobe Illustrator which has all the bells and whistles and it is a lot of money which is probably why I don't complain much about what you get with Studio !!