Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Thread: Which Machine?

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Which Machine?

Hi

Not been on here for a very long time!!

I have a 9 year old craft robo which I use intermittently, but have use quite a bit since Christmas. Unfortunately little bits of plastic have started to break off and its just time to replace.

Which would be the best machine to replace? Is the Silhouette and the Cameo more or less the same, except for the size? What is the Curio like to use?

I have no idea which version of software I'm using but its probably at least 5 years old - have things changed much? I've only just discovered you can print from the craft robo!!! When I open the programme I do get the message to update but just ignore it, but its time to be brave and update the whole package - hardware and software!!

I know you've probably been asked this question loads of times but any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Julie

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Julie the Silhouette Portrait is the replacement for the Craft Robo. I suggest you look at https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/shop/machines for all the features on the Portrait, Cameo and Curio. Look for YouTube videos showing how they all work.

My first machine was the Craft Robo then for five years I had the original Cameo which I loved and now have the new Cameo 3. I also have a Curio which does more than just cut & draw. It can emboss but it's not heavy embossing. It can stipple and etch. It uses a ridged platform and can take thicker items but the cutting blade is the same as the Portrait and Cameo. Both the Cameo 3 and the Curio have a dual carriage so you can have a cutting blade in one and say a pen in the other. Only the Cameo 3 has the auto blade. With the Curio various mats are clipped it place on the solid platform but I find with mine the clips vibrate and they do slip a bit. I am a card maker so I do use my Cameo a lot more than my Curio.

The Studio software has changed in 5 years with extras that have been added, although the layout is the same but a new look is coming with Studio 4. It is only in beta format at the moment.
    Last edited by Neries; 13-02-2017 at 01:34 AM.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    I agree with Margaret AKA Neries. The Cameo has the largest cutting area of the 3 machines

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    I used my Robo for ten years and finally decided it needed to go into retirement last May. I decided to upgrade to the Cameo 2 (the Cameo 3 came out not long after I bought mine) and am so glad I didn't just go for a Portrait. I have found it so much better being able to cut 12x12, much less wasteful and obviously more variety in what I can make because of the size I can now cut. I haven't got any experience of the Curio, but don't feel like it is a machine I would use having read comments about it.

The software has changed a lot in five years. Why not download the latest version and have a play with it? Hope that helps.

Dedicated Card Maker - Limited Sponsor - Shirley Anne's Avatar
    View Gallery

I would say go for a Cameo if you can afford it and think you will use the bigger cutting area. The extra features of the Curio are good if you think you would use them but the basic cutting area is only 8.5" x 6" although you can purchase a larger base which give you a cutting area of 8.5" x 12".

View Gallery

Hi all

Thanks for the info. It looks like it might have to be the cameo!
    Jampot - you're right I should download the new software just to see what it's like, it can't be too much different just need time to look it over.

Julie

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelo's mrs View Post
    Hi all

Thanks for the info. It looks like it might have to be the cameo!
    Jampot - you're right I should download the new software just to see what it's like, it can't be too much different just need time to look it over.

Julie
    If you download version 4 Beta of Studio it's a totally different layout I would read the release notes because it's only in the testing stage at the moment and there isn't any support. You can download an earlier version if you prefer to........both versions are available from here https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/so...egacy-software