Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking > Card Challenges and Inspiration

Notices

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    It is nice to make something special for parents and I made a card I suppose you'd call it, but it opened out into about 8 or 10 sides. Each page had a photograph of dad starting when he was a baby on his mother's lap with his dad and baby brother. I've just found it and it was a Father's Day card. On the front page I began with a family photo of mum and dad's Golden Wedding Anniversary and it told dad how he held a special place in our hearts and a place in our family that no-one else could fill. Then inside, it began with him being a precious son - a loving brother - a devoted husband - a caring father - a doting grandfather - a treasured father-in-law and the last page thanked dad for teaching us the meaning of family. Each page had one of these captions with a photo to match. He kept this with him until he died and showed it to all the carers. I have it again now and the photo's are fading so I think I will replace them with genuine Epson ink photo's so that they will last and can be handed down to my nephew and niece. It is basically a snapshot (so to speak) of his life but to see the delight on his face was a joy to see.

Thanks Elaine, for reminding me about this. I'd forgotten I had it and it is lovely to look back on and think of the pleasure it gave to dad. Mum was so far along at the time with Alzheimer's that she was unaware of most things but she would have loved all the cards and scrapbooks. Mum was a knitter and also made lampshades for a living when she was younger and dad loved carpentry so they both loved to craft in their own different way.

I love the romantic Valentine's card Elaine. My hubby always reads the verse and buys cards with the most beautiful words, very romantic in that way.

Alison, that first birthday card is simple but very effective which I think is incredibly hard to get right. I love the second card with that pretty background paper, I always seem to notice background papers don't I!

Ellie, I hope you managed to find something useful off the site.

Just showed hubby your card Elaine and he was really impressed, he thought it was stunning!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (90)
    Thats such a lovely special card Susie
    So much chat hard to keep up here
    lovely cards ladies It is hard like Susie said to do simple nicely but you cracked it with card one good one for a male birthday like no 2 too
    I still not completed a card in this months colours I not in a rush as I dont need one must try a simple one

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Love your cards Alison. The first one says it all, and very colourful.

Enjoy looking at your special card Susie. Lovely

Here's my plain one... mostly green but some red!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

View Gallery

Yes thank you Susie.
    I printed off the olive green version, and the hearts.
    There are some really nice papers on there.
    Thank you
    Ellie

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (90)
    love your card Ellie are the leaves pressed flowers I use to belong to the pressed flower guild infact Susie thats where I met my friend that lives on the wirral I love those butterflies too and the die with the embossing background its really effective
    I am making a mental note to do something similar my friend would love this one

View Gallery

Thank you Denise.
    No ,I stamped the leaves, put some veins on the bottom ones, and then cut then out.
    The ferns were a bit fiddly, but got there in the end
    Ellie.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

What a stunning card Ellie! I love that embossing folder and the way the die cut frames the rose so perfectly. The leaves are very lifelike, are they real as Denise says? The colours are so striking, just lovely.

I look forward to seeing what you do with the downloads too.

View Gallery

Thank you Susie.
    No , I stamped and cut out the leaves
    Ellie

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Well, they are really life like so well done!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Meant to say... I am having a problem with glue at the moment. I've just used my TL frame die and by the time I've dotted glue all over the place it is starting to dry and then shows up quite bumpy which is driving me nuts. The glue I'm using is Cosmic Shimmer and I don't want it to show through the card stock, especially on lighter weight card. Mind you, the card I'm using says 200 gsm but it feels much lighter, nearer a 160gsm. I've sent away for book binding glue which is used a lot for fabric and is said not to buckle paper so that should be interesting. I was just wondering does anyone else have this problem and what glues do you use?

I usually use tape runners but need the CS as well for manoeuvrability with it being a big die and trying to get it centred etc... I feel that photo glue which I also use might be a bit wet but it is worth giving it a go.

View Gallery

I use Herma tape and Cosmic Shimmer. I only put a small amount on intricate things,
    and it seems ok to me. Does it go off, how long have you had it?
    I go through tape runners like wild firs, but of course you can't use them for fiddly things.
    I put the green frame and the leaves on with CS, and they seem OK.
    Hope you can sort it.
    Ellie

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

CS is fine when you are using it in small amounts, but by the time I've gone round a large die frame and then added drops to all the fiddly bits the glue is just firming up enough to cause a bump in the paper when it's laid flat. If it was a heavy card stock you probably wouldn't notice it but because this paper is a thinnish 200 gsm it stands out - to me anyway. I'll get a photo tomorrow and you can see what I mean or not!

Maybe you are right Ellie, maybe it does go off ever so slightly, just enough to make a difference if you leave it too long before putting in place.

Chatty papercrafter elainevking's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    I use Pinflair acrylic glue. It's great for adding dimension..not the photo glue, just the clear acrylic glue. I use it on everything.. Even scrapbooking. It dries clear and you apply it with a syringe but you do need to be careful with it and not get it on the front as it looks greasy. It takes a while to dry but I like that because it gives me time to work and reposition.
    Susie..that 'card' sounds amazing! What a fabulous snapshot of his life. I made my Mum an entire scrapbook album for her 80th birthday with similar pieces of her life..Mum, wife, sister, world traveller, car enthusiast, fun lover, Nanna, even daughter. She treasures it and I'm so glad I did it for her. She shows it to everyone. It's the best gift I've ever given her..unlike the Christmas gift I bought her..she's already donated that to charity! I bought her an iPad stand..you know, one of those beanie type things. I have one and it's brilliant and I thought she would too..but no..it's gone! Sigh!
    Fab card Ellie..very smart.
    Love your 'simple' cards Alison..there's a knack in them..I always add too much.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Elaine, everyone has scrapbooks except for us! I have never done anything for either of us just as presents for the rest of the family. My sister wants one for her son's 30th and I've done a few pages but I really should do something about our lives. It's not as if we have children who can talk about us when we are gone.

Had to laugh at your Christmas present going to charity. At least it went to a good home, just not your mum's.

I like Pinflair glue and it is their book binding glue I'm waiting on.

Chatty papercrafter elainevking's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    Had to laugh at your Christmas present going to charity. At least it went to a good home, just not your mum's.
    Actually..it came here... DS2 was tasked with the job to take it to the charity shop..and he knew I'd only just bought it so he brought it to me..and DH uses it now! Lol ..so you're right..it has gone to a good home..mine! Lol
    I'm up for a sort out today..I must do a Destash..it's getting ridiculous.
    You really should do an album of yourselves.. Just because you don't have children doesn't mean no one will be interested!