Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking > Card Challenges and Inspiration

Notices

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Paper addict extraordinaire Mystik Nat's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)

Exclamation 2016 Card Challenge - December

Well here we are!

The last prompts for 2016!

Many congratulations to those who have made it so far and thank you to all who have played along and kept the threads busy while I have largely been MIA.

Hope you enjoy my last picks for 2016!

I've listed some additional hints for how to interpret the prompts on your cards - you can find them here.

As always full info about this challenge can be found here in the January post.

Here are the images - hope you enjoy!

Pinspiration prompt:
    12 - Dec prompt.jpg

Christmas prompt:
    12 - Dec Christmas prompt.jpg

Happy crafting!

~ Natty ~

Paper addict extraordinaire Mystik Nat's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    Here's my card offering for the main prompt. I went with blush pink, sage and charcoal as my colour inspiration and a little scene featuring a penguin!

~ Natty ~

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    That is so cute Nat! What a lovely combination of colours.

Chatty papercrafter elainevking's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    That is so pretty Nat..I've been making lots but not enough time to check in and load them..my Mums in hospital an hour away so a round trip of two hours then the visit on top, plus the worry of it all and then I'm trying to sell my house too!
    I come home, craft in one way or another just to unwind and de-stress.
    So here's a photo of what I've been up to...but not all this month of course! I made 60 cards in all..now I just have to write and send!
    Sorry I've not commented on last months! They are all fab and lovely to see though
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Good grief Elaine, when did you find the time to make that lot! They all look fabulous and oh yes, now I'm actually turning green with envy! Well done.

On a serious note, I do hope your mum is okay. Having had the stress of ill and elderly parents which went on for 12 years I know how hard it is just to cope on a daily basis. Funnily enough, I remember when dad finally came home from hospital, as desperately as we wanted him out of there, we felt rather bereft, we'd been visiting for so long it felt like home, if that doesn't sound too strange. It had become such a part of our daily routine it was weird driving past the hospital and not turning in. Also a relief at the same time. I'm just amazed that you can find the time or energy to craft.

Hope your mum is soon out of hospital.x

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I've finally finished that Christmas card and I think I've added enough to give it that little extra something without it being too fussy. I'll post it later and see what you think, you can be honest. Funnily enough I had a gorgeous diamante snowflake which I was going to put in the centre of the wreath but it looked all wrong, how strange is that. As soon as I remembered I had it I thought, oh that's going to be perfect and it just wasn't.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I know this doesn't count for this month but here we go anyway!

P1090208.jpg

View Gallery

That's is sooooo pretty. Whoever gets it is one lucky person! Is the wreath a stamp?
    I've been making them for a couple of months.. I did a card making day long course and made a few then, the others I've just made as a when. About 60 in total. I really use it to de-stress!
    I need to make my 'special' family ones now.
    As you say, having Mum in hospital is, in many ways, a relief. I know she's being looked after properly, three square meals a day, taking her meds when she's supposed to etc. My only worry is they aren't getting her to walk much and she is losing the use of her legs. If she's doesn't start walking again soon the only option is a care home which she (and we) would hate!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thanks Elaine, it's the one I was having so much trouble keeping clean and simple which I don't really do! The wreath is a die which I cut twice and overlayed to give a fuller effect.

When my dad fell in hospital and couldn't walk they said he'd become bed bound and he was for a while until he was removed to the rehabilitation ward. It was a long time before he could sit up because he'd developed such severe postural hypotension from the bang to the head (hospital's fault) and fainted each time they tried to raise him. But over time, which was many months given the PH which had be treated first, he did become mobile again. Working with a physio did the trick but in his case it was a long slow process, hopefully, since your mum hasn't reached that stage, there is no reason why they can't get her moving again. Make sure they get a physio to work on her even whilst she is in bed, there is nothing to stop her doing leg exercises even if she's lying flat! The trouble with being in hospital is people do become bed bound, we used to hear it all the time in the lifts going home. People would be saying what we were thinking, 'dad walked in here and now he can't walk, what happened! In my dad's case the postural hypotension was so severe they said it could kill him if he stayed up right too long, but goes to show they can come back from all of this. Oh, he was 92 by the way! Hope that gives you some encouragement.x

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Glad you sorted your card Susie.
    It just needed that one little thing, to put it right.
    It's beautiful.
    My Dad was just the same Susie. Went into hospital mobile,and then
    became immobile. I agree with you and your advice for Elaine, the sooner
    you can get the physio working with your Mom, the better.

BTW Susie, my Dad was 92 as well.
    Ellie

View Gallery

Well... I went in today and she's benign discharged tomorrow! I'm really worried. She's not lost much water.. I'm fact she gained .8 of a kilo last night. They've taken her off her intravenous diuretic and put her on tablets because, they say, her kidneys can't take it. I think they want the bed so she's being kicked out! Of course, that means my sister and I are in charge again..on our own.
    They did manage to get her to walk around the ward today though.. I suppose that's something, but her muscle wastage is bad. I'll be arranging meals on wheels for her but she's still refusing a carer..not sure what will happen now. Well, I expect I do.. We'll be backwards and forwards to the hospital again..and eventually she'll be admitted again..sigh!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Well that's good, that she was walking Elaine.
    Do you think that she is drinking enough water?
    I do think they like to get elderly people out as quick as they can, but
    if social care don't get their finger out, then they are stuck in hospital
    until they do.
    Hope things go the way you want ,and your mom feels better soon.
    Ellie

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by elainevking View Post
    Well... I went in today and she's benign discharged tomorrow! I'm really worried. She's not lost much water.. I'm fact she gained .8 of a kilo last night. They've taken her off her intravenous diuretic and put her on tablets because, they say, her kidneys can't take it. I think they want the bed so she's being kicked out! Of course, that means my sister and I are in charge again..on our own.
    They did manage to get her to walk around the ward today though.. I suppose that's something, but her muscle wastage is bad. I'll be arranging meals on wheels for her but she's still refusing a carer..not sure what will happen now. Well, I expect I do.. We'll be backwards and forwards to the hospital again..and eventually she'll be admitted again..sigh!
    Wow, this all sounds so familiar Elaine. Has she got a social worker to get her (and you) all the help she needs. We refused to take dad home at one point because we didn't have care set up, as much as we wanted him out of hospital.

Once they decide they want them gone they do everything they can to discharge as soon as possible, often without taking into consideration who is going to look after them. I suppose I sound a bit awful but this was the problem we had and we really had to fight our corner, which is something you aren't always up to when you are stressed and worried about your loved one. I really do feel for you.

As for the carer issue, have you explained to your mum (I'm sure you have) that without help she will end up in a care home and that's the very thing none of you want. It's all about keeping her safe in her own home for as long as possible. Does your mum feel it will be an invasion of her privacy having a carer there?She may be surprised how she will bond with the right carer, we had mostly amazing carers for both mum and dad and we couldn't have kept them at home without that extra help.x

View Gallery

They ended up keeping her in.. They 'discovered' a cough..she's had it for months so Lord only knows why they've only just discovered it! It is the water on her chest causing the problem and the fact her heart isn't strong enough to pump it away. She's on a limited water treatment..no more than 1.5 litres a day.
    The most upsetting thing was that no one told her she wasn't going home and so when my sister went in at 4:30 she burst into tears because she thought we'd forgotten about her ! As if! It took ages to calm her down apparently so I will be going today to reassure her she is very much in our thoughts .
    I've tried everything to persuade her to have a carer including veiled threats about not being able to care for her at home etc but so far no joy. Unfortunately the temporary carers we had in for her reported back to the consultant she was under and now she distrusts them for telling tales on her! She also said that she found it difficult to make sure she was awake in time for them to come in in the morning and she likes to lay in bed until later in the morning and doesn't want to get up as early as the carers want to come. I have also explained that we could organise a carer for later in the day but there is no changing her mind at the moment! I give up for now.
    We live to fight another day.
    92 is such a good age for both of you..but no matter what age they are when you lose them..it is awful losing a parent. My own Dad was only 51

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Good grief, what on earth are the carers doing reporting back to the consultant, it's not their job to do that, no wonder your poor mum doesn't trust them. Also, I would have thought they'd be glad to do a later call in the morning instead of all having to be in the same place at the same time trying to get everyone up for the day, fed and meds given etc...

You're right Elaine, 92 is a wonderful age. I've come to the conclusion though, that there is no 'good' time to lose your parents, even when they are old, you can't remember a time they weren't there for you and so you can't imagine life without them. Having said that, I would much prefer to lose them at 92 than at 51, that is so young. Both my hubby's parents died in their mid 60's, so he was about 21 when he lost one and 26 when he lost the other, so spent most of his adult life without any parents. Fortunately, he loved my mum and dad so very much and felt like he had parents again and they adored him equally. He helped us nurse them both right to the end. No sooner had he retired than we moved in with dad to become full time carers and it was the most rewarding experience BUT... we count ourselves as very fortunate that we were in a time and place in our lives when we could do that and not everyone is in that position, so it makes for some very hard and at times heartbreaking decisions. At the end of the day you can only do your best and it sounds like you and your sister are already doing that.x