Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)

Minc troubleshooting advice needed

Hi there,

I've been struggling with my Minc machine, has anybody had similar issues, please? I use a Samsung laser printer for printing. If I print on vellum, the Minc machine foils it lovely, but on cardstock or even paper, the foiling is quite patchy, with the black toner showing through. Not sure why this is happening - any advice would be most appreciated...

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    Hi - I've had the same issues - this lady has worked out the problem - and have to say that trying her methods (mono laser printer and good quality smooth cardstock) I've had no further issues. I couldn't test the third suggestion until I worked through the modest mountain of HS foil! Here's her blog post link - http://www.pinkimono.com/2015/10/20/...il-applicator/

Hope that helps,
    Faye x

View Gallery

Although I don't have a Minc, I do hot foil with my monochrome laser printer and laminator. Just read the blog that Faye suggested and I can agree partly with what was said. I have a Samsung printer and find it brilliant. I use 160gsm paper from Staples and also some card I had tucked away which was thicker but no idea what it was and have tried several different foils. So far the best I have found is the iCraft Deco Foil. It comes in plenty of colours and gives a lovely finish with no black toner showing through. I have heard comments about the Heidi Swapp foil and have never tried it so can't comment about that, but the Deco foil is lovely and very good quality. Hope that helps.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Fae View Post
    Hi - I've had the same issues - this lady has worked out the problem - and have to say that trying her methods (mono laser printer and good quality smooth cardstock) I've had no further issues. I couldn't test the third suggestion until I worked through the modest mountain of HS foil! Here's her blog post link - http://www.pinkimono.com/2015/10/20/...il-applicator/

Hope that helps,
    Faye x

Faye,

Thank you so much for this link, it's most helpful, I will definitely be trying out Deco Foil - coincidentally, I happen to have them on my Amazon wishlist...

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Jampot View Post
    Although I don't have a Minc, I do hot foil with my monochrome laser printer and laminator. Just read the blog that Faye suggested and I can agree partly with what was said. I have a Samsung printer and find it brilliant. I use 160gsm paper from Staples and also some card I had tucked away which was thicker but no idea what it was and have tried several different foils. So far the best I have found is the iCraft Deco Foil. It comes in plenty of colours and gives a lovely finish with no black toner showing through. I have heard comments about the Heidi Swapp foil and have never tried it so can't comment about that, but the Deco foil is lovely and very good quality. Hope that helps.
    Jampot,

Which Samsung printer have you got? I've got the M2022W, which is the cheapest one... I've often wondered if the problem is to do with the printer not being great... I know that Heidi recommends one of the Brother makes, but I wasn't going to invest into a new printer until exhausted all other options... Thanks for your reply... :-)

View Gallery

I have a very basic Samsung Express M2026W which is Wi-Fi, it was on offer for £49 when I bought it, so ridiculously cheap in my opinion. I use the best quality of print to make sure there is a good coverage of ink and am still using the sample toner that came with the printer.

Which cardstock do you use, is it nice and smooth or is it textured? Hope that helps in some way.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Jampot View Post
    Which cardstock do you use, is it nice and smooth or is it textured? Hope that helps in some way.
    Hi Sue,

I use smooth white cardstock - I daren't buy anything too fancy as I bought a midi box of luxury white cardstock from Papermills Direct and as it turns out, it's too luxurious as it is super-thick and not compatible with regular printers... So I tend to keep it simple and buy inexpensive smooth cardstock is larger quantities from Hobbycraft...

And a bit of a feedback for all of you lovely ladies who advised - I did buy some Decofoil, which was quite affordable from Amazon (even though it took this long to get here with the free p&p). I've only tried it on acetate so far, but it came out really lovely and a lot fuller and more intense than the other one, so it's all looking good.

Thanks again for all the advice...

View Gallery

Glad the Decofoil is helping, it does give a lovely finish doesn't it? It may be a bit more expensive than some foils but it is worth it.