Break Me Off a Piece of That UKScrappers.

Friday 5 - 10th May

by sharon1973

Travelling in Style

by g61

The Golden Ring

by scrapdolly

haali

by Maria in France

May week 3

by butterbee

Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Inspiration and Challenges > Older Classes,Challenges & CyberCrops > Book Of Me/Scrap Yourself

Notices

Charmed Cards & Crafts banner

Thread: Scrap Yourself!

just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)

Scrap Yourself!

This was a challenge that was related to the Book Of Me concept - about scrapping YOURSELF.

These posts were all deep in the depths of the Home Page archives. Maybe they will inspire you to scrap yourself a bit more...

Here is a PDF or the initial post or read it here:

Scrap Yourself, it's not such a bad thing after all...

I don't know why there is a stigma attached to scrapping a page about yourself. Why is it deemed vain or selfish? Why does any woman who scraps feel itís a big taboo? These were the questions both Annie Hafermann and I queried during a conversation one day two weeks ago. Why is it that our beloved "other halves" admire pages about them and the kids and the pets and the occasions but when it comes to a page we may have created for ourselves they seem to "tut" and murmur "oooh, me, me, me!". Both Annie and I grumbled between us, when Annie piped up that she felt she had to get all her words down on a layout and relay her thoughts to her son because she might get run over by the number 95 tomorrow. What would her son have to remind him of his mum? Sure enough little Dean would have lots of albums already dedicated to him to leaf through and look back at the beautiful pages she had made in his honour. But thinking about it, wouldn't little Dean be wanting to know why there were no pages of his mother and how would he know what her favourite sandwich filling was or how she liked her coffee?

After that very phone call I felt enraged because I get the same treatment from friends and family. They LOVE to see pages I have created about them and ogle over my albums to see what family occasion I have recorded. There are very few layouts just about me which I have enjoyed making, but I do worry about the calls of vanity and selfishness. THIS HAS GOT TO STOP!!! We are very much the makers of memories - filling album after album so lovingly. We painstakingly record every inch and details of occasions to scrap and put blood and sweat down on that page. But isn't it time we started recognising ourselves and trying different styles of pages to suit us and not them? I think of the pages I have done about my great grandmother. I can only scrap about the hearsay and the distant memories of family members. Iím sure Iíve done the page justice but Iím also sure that my great grandmother would have given me loads of facts so true to their words had she done them herself. So now I think Iím going to scrap in my way and in my words so that the records and feelings are true. My pages now may differ from pages in 3 years time but isnít that a good thing - recording moods and feelings and how things change?

I did a page entitled "I am a Mother" and I uploaded to both UKS and my blog. That night I joked with another friend, Anna Bowkis that I had done a page about me. She laughed as she always does and giggled "ooh me, me, me". I know she didn't mean any harm but I said to her "Anna, have a go. Itís so liberating to do up one of your prettiest pictures and in a style that you can go crazy with". So she scraplifted the layout that very night and two hours later she came up with this . I asked how did she feel and she said she too found it liberating and so much fun. Even her unrelenting DH, a true man of honesty said he liked it. RESULT!!! So I encouraged Annie to have a go and a few more friends. Within 2 days I had my friends scrapping with their new found freedom and I was enjoying the results. So much so that I felt very "Joan of Arc" and planned a crusade to get other women - everywhere - to enjoy the ride. I initially started with a wee teaser of a prize out of my own stash but as the interest strengthened I thought Iíd up the game and I contacted lots of UK sponsors to see if they would donate a prize. I was completely gob smacked with the generosity of their support with prizes pledged and coming in from as little as a pack of brads to kits to papers to ribbons to an Ellison Big Shot Die Cutter including postage for the delivery of the prize.

The profile of the challenge had reached bloggers as far as New Zealand, South Africa, California, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Germany, France, Singapore and the US as well as many UK Scrappers. The enthusiasm can be seen in the artwork so far. Iíve never "met" so many women in the space of a week and all these UK scrappers that have hidden behind their character avatars are coming to the gallery - why it is almost like a beauty pageant! Whatís even more uplifting is the support I have received from American "celebrity" scrappers such as Cathy Zielske, Donna Downey, Rhonna Farrer, Tara Whitney, Ali Edwards, Wendy Smedley (Editor of Simple Scrapbooks) and Renne Pearson (Contributing Editor). They express their support to get women to do more pages about them - a legacy any family member would treasure before and after we leave this planet. So why don't you join the ride too? Show us the real you and get that BOM started - which I know you have been putting off for a good while now!

layouts reproduced with permission of Cathy Zielske,

and Rhonna Farrer
    Attached Files Attached Files

View Gallery

by Rudishoes (Jo)

I am very bad at scrapping myself, and indeed, don't often have photos taken just of me (at least, not until Kirsty's challenge - since then, I can't stop taking photos of myself, which has been a challenge in itself - I wish my arms were longer ) - anyway, whilst I love scrapping photos of my girls, the point about leaving something of 'me' for them really hit home - I know they enjoy looking at layouts of themselves, but I think they'll also appreciate layouts of me, their dad, and their extended family. I wanted my layout to be funny, hence the addition of the crown, and the honest journalling, 'enduring violin practice'!!! I had great fun completing this layout - I had thought I might find it a little uncomfortable, but actually it was liberating. I am planning another couple of layouts for Kirsty's challenge with the wealth of photos I have taken since the challenge began.

A bit from Kirsty on the challenge so far:

3 weeks in...
    The scrap yourself challenge has been running for 3 weeks now and I'm completely overwhelmed by the response. The subject seems so close to a great deal of your hearts be it because you dont want to or because you love to. If you are one of those scrappers who are still in a quandary, I urge you to go and look at the BOM gallery entries so far. You will see girls on there who swore blind they would never do a page about themselves and yet they have. You will see pages of girls who find this type of scrapping completely natural and have delivered with more conviction. However, you will find girls who have done another page because they loved the liberating feeling of being "allowed" to do it. All of these pages and journalling are so special, open, honest and raw. I dont know how many times a lump has risen in my throat and wee tears have been shed. Daft as it seems but the journalling just gets to me.

have had countless (and I exaggerate not) girls thanking the challenge which they saw as a free ticket to let themselves go. I do sit here feeling humble at the floods of emails sitting in my inbox - all so positive and heart warming. But to be honest I only ignited a flame, I dont feel like I have championed or cornered the "BOM" dilemma. Perhaps it's just a small step for scrappers and one giant leap for scrapdom - who knows. But what I do know is that I feel I know something more about you other than a friendly reply to a thread on the boards. Many a time we have "chatted" amongst issues and suggestions on various threads and have not taken a blind bit of notice about who we are replying to. I now recognise the people I now chat with and think back to the superb page they have created, what colour eyes they have and what makes them tick. Afterall, this is a massive community. Isn't it time we got to know each other a little better?
    However, some of the pages have not all been about the fun and light hearted side to our lives. There has been so many tales of woe, times of struggle and those that have faced their demons. That kind of gutsy journalling that stops you in your tracks and makes you asess you own life. I didn't think that this challenge would produce this kind of work but I'm quite glad it has. We are all individuals with real issues and struggles and as much as I am not ready to do that yet I feel kind of inspired that some of those girls have laid bare their souls. These kinds of stories and layouts are just the thing for an honest BOM. I'm sure some of you wouldn't dream of bestowing your inner most anger and feelings to your future grandchildren but come on - lets face it - they need to see how you coped though those times and how life was like now. Wouldn't it be just fantastic to tell them your stories and how you triumphed over your issues, how you dealt with adversity and how you came out the other side? If you are going to be making memories - make them as true as the moment it happened. I so wish I could have biographies of my past generations instead of the fairytales I have to fantasise over now. GET IT WRITTEN DOWN GIRLS!

View Gallery

Scrap Yourself - "From here...to here"
    by wombat (Pam)

I have loved doing Kirsty's challenge and have now scrapped 5 pages of me. Up until this challenge I did not have one picture of me, even on my children's pages. I have loved thinking about myself because as a mother you tend to think of others, rather than yourself. Also I have loved scrapping 6 x 6 as these layouts can be done so quickly. I have been making my BOM rather like an art journal, taking the opportunity to try lots of new art techniques, knowing that I don't need to please anyone other than myself and this has been very liberating for me.

View Gallery

Scrap Yourself - "Summer of my Life"
    by deedee

It was always on my list to do a BOM - I even have one page already done (from the SI auditions), but like many things in life it just stayed on the list. There are lots of reasons why I don't scrap me. I don't have any decent photos as I'm always behind the camera, I have tons of other photos that need scrapping, I don't like putting myself centre stage, it smacks of vanity in some way, I don't like seeing pictures of myself staring back at me etc, etc, the list goes on. When Kirsty issued this challenge it was just the shove I needed. I think we all respond to a challenge and Kirsty has done an amazing job getting everyone scrapping themselves.

I've made this page the first page in my BOM and I plan to continue now I've got going. I know my children will love to see my BOM when they are older and although I won't show anyone close to me the pages or the journaling right now, it is satisfying to have that record of my life and my feelings and to see it there before me. I've always wished I could keep a diary but I'm just not that kind of person, I see this BOM as an alternative to a diary and something I can do to record how I feel and who I am. To anyone who is unsure about taking up this challenge I'd say go for it! Like me you don't have to share your layouts with anyone close to you (unless you choose to) but they will be there - for you and for the future.

Donna

View Gallery

Scrap Yourself - "The Chance to be Loved"
    by KatieM

(This one) came about because I was thinking, as most people seem to, that it is hard to scrap yourself. I asked myself why and came to the conclusion that it is because I don't really think I'm that important. So the journalling and title came from the fact that I need to love myself more. That I am important, special and worth scrapping. And do you know, I think it is working! I actually do feel like I'm liking myself a little bit more - I'm easing up on myself and giving myself a break, which is helping me to become better at being me!

I can't wait to create some more pages for my little album (the pages are only 7 and a half inches by 5 inches). I have already scribbled some sketches of pages I want to do.

It has been fun to be challenged, but also liberating. To start with it was 'ok, I'll do this 'cos someone has said do it' but having completed a couple of pages I realise its good fun, I can go and experiment because its for me!

Kathryn

View Gallery

Scrap Yourself: A Robust Woman
    by wssla00 (Sarah)

I went for the challenge as i thought it would be a great way of exploring the tough parts of my life that i dont usually give way to in my scrapbooking. I really enjoyed doing this challenge it has been a great hlp working through my emotions about myself, and i would recommend it to anyone.

The journalling says:

When I was younger I was thin and pretty-I thought that was what was important. In my early twenties i stopped breathing and was diagnosed with Asthma. I became so bad that at christmas i lost 5 weeks of my memory and went into hospital. The illness made my under eyes dark my body swell and my skin break out. I felt ugly but soon i realised that real beauty is not what you look like on the outside but what you are like on the inside. Now at 23 i realise that i AM BEAUTIFUL because of who i am not what i look like. My lung may stop working my face may swell but each line on my face becomes a road map of where i have been and how ive got through it. Im now proud of the way i look- A woman of substance

I wanted to use a picture i would normally veto on scrapbooks it shows me warts and all. The picture shows my imperfections but it also shows be still smiling

View Gallery

crap Yourself: I am Afraid
    Congratulations to he winner of Kirsty's Scrap Yourself Challenge! In case you have missed it, it is our Layout of the week!

by noodle

The LO is based on my life, feelings and emotions through the last three years. Basically "finding me again".

It was created in the spirit of capturing the "here and now", I wanted to try to represent the essence of how I had been feeling, capture the emotions & be honest with myself.

The challenge really enthused me, athough it was a slow build, Kirsty was the catalyst but was backed up by all the amazing women creating exceptional LO's, each giving a personal insight to their lives. All laying part of themselves bare, exposed for us all to see. It was this compassion and spirit of our community that made the connection with me.

I am in awe at all the inner beauty.

All this was the "missing piece" to creating my LO.

Since I seperated from (then divorced) my husband I have been on my own personal journey of self discovery. There are some key moments of this journey that stood out.

One moment I will never forget was my Grandad's reaction, he is an old school "marriage is for life, marry before you live together" kind of person. I thought he would be dissapointed in me & was wary about telling him the news. But he didn't react in that way, I saw the pain in his eyes, he then shared some of his inner, well hidden emotions about returning from war to find his first wife had left him for someone else, sold all his possessions and gone. It was powerful stuff, the way he spoke was pure raw honesty. I was blown away, Grandad didn't "do" emotional. This was something I had never known & felt extremely priviledged to share the moment with him. Know a bit of the real person he is, the person inside, not Grandad, Dad or a Teacher. Just an individual like me. He inspired me to journal some feelings.... I wanted some way to always remember the moment, the power in his words. To capture the "real" people around me, make the most of time with my family. Really communicate and understand.

It has seemed more important in the past weeks whilst my Nan has been critically ill (although she has now made some progress). I just want to really know them and always remember them. Preserve special memories so I can share their beauty with generations to come.

In some ways it encouraged me to embrace life, live the feelings, good and bad, leave a memory to look back on, reflect on & share with others.

So scrapping myself? Well I hadn't considered it that much before. But it SO worked. I looked at other entries & felt honoured to share pieces of them. So I decided to start my own, very personal book of me. To make it work I knew I had to be honest with myself & try to represent my inner self on paper. It is about me, but also my desire to continue my discovery.... to open my eyes & see the world as it is, full of beautiful people, each with a story, each with feelings and an inner spirit behind the sparkle of their eyes.

It has changed the way I scrap, I am now on my second page of this book and am determined to complete it (a page on Grandad will be in there). It won't change my general scrapping, there is still a place for beautiful LO's of day's out, children, holidays or whatever.... But I am also, alongside this, going to scrap in this new dimension.

This challenge has been fabulous, for me it has been like a missing piece of my jigsaw, I am in the right place to journal some desperate emotions, before the pain has completely ebbed away, but also now it has subdued. It is a way for me of letting them out & letting some of them go. But also respecting them, not trying to hide them or ignore them.

I know many people will not be in that place yet, but I hope when they are they can embrace it. The challenge has inspired and liberated so many people, the real people are coming out from behing their avatars. The community is being united, compassionate and unique.

Long may it continue.

And Kirsty? Well she's a star!

Sorry to go on! And I realise you will have enough entries, Just really wanted to explain my LO, hope you don't mind.

Many many thanks,

Hannah

View Gallery

Scrap Yourself: I am on my way
    by debbie70

This challenge from Kirsty has, in a way been life/attitude changing for me. Firstly I've started journaling more on my pages - something I did very little of before, and secondly I've taken the first step in scrapping photo's of ME, as I am today with all the little imperfections that make me perfectly ME. And now I've started I just can't stop ...

Last year a routine appt. had turned up an unforseen medical complication that required surgery. The month between diagnosis and surgery was one of the darkest times in my life. I knew then that it was important to record my love for my girls and tried to do this by creating pages about them .... it wasn't until Kirstys challenge that I realised that having a scrapbook about me - both as a woman, a wife and their mum, would be of far greater value to them. And that waiting till I've lost weight (either that or mastered the art of airbrushing photographs) or been a particularly "good mother" is just an excuse to not do it!

So here's one I did earlier

View Gallery

Scrap Yourself: I am a Goddess
    by SmileyK

This is a great challenge as like many Scrappers I rarely scrap myself. To be honest I don't often like photo's of me and I'm not going to go out of my way to scrap one I hate!! I am sure many of you will agree with that sentiment! Better to be behind the camera than in front - except when my dh gets the camera and won't take no for an answer!

Anyway this is a challenge and I like a good challenge as it makes me look at things differently. I started to think about what I could do and I looked through my photos butto be honest I wasn't inspired - until I came across this one that my dh took on holiday a few weeks ago. He took it as a sneaky body shot as he walked past me and he got told off for it too! Certainly neither of us expected it to be any good so I was surprised that I actually liked it. Dh encouraged me to scrap it and I thought I should go the whole way and aim for the tongue in cheek "I am a Goddess" My reasoning for this is that I know my dh loves me and thinks I am fantastic but I don't always appreciate that. So in honour of him still finding me gorgeous after many years together and two children, I thought I should celebrate my curves!

My face isn't even in the photo but I like it that way. If you aren't happy about a part of you then don't concentrate on that. Choose something about yourself that you like and scrap around that. If you love your smile or your knees or your toes or even your ears then do a layout about those parts of you. It will still be YOU and it will tell others a little bit more about you - maybe even something they didn't already know! Celebrate YOU!

View Gallery

Scrap Yourself: I was...I am
    by Bluemoonjules

First of all, I hate pictures of myself - especially those in the last 10 years - I really do! This LO (it's a double, but I had to scan in 2 parts) was a real challenge for that reason, and also because I was just going to doodle, do journalling and add a few flowers. Those pictures felt really 'exposed'!

I wanted to show that being an auntie, a daughter and a friend was important to me, and that 'family' can include all those things.

Kirsty's challenge made me want to start the 'book of me' that I have been putting off. Really, once it got started it was fun, and I am pleased with the end result, even to feeling better about pictures of me!

Thanks for reading

Jules xx

View Gallery

Scrap Yourself: ME!
    by Fayesy

I decide to take part in the challenge as I have been thinking of a book of me but had done very few LO,s on myself. I have confidence issues & have never found myself to be attractive this has a lot to do with the fact that I am a rather large lady. I decided to go for it - brushed my hair added some lip gloss & took some self portraits this was my favourite. I printed off on scrap paper the 2 swirls I liked & used this as a template & roughly followed the pattern using a zig pen & then I colorwashed it with distress ink in weathered wood, I love dirty laundry papers so I used 1 sheet of paper & then I decided to decorate the front of my very plain album that was a cheepy from Tesco - its 12 x 8.5 I made a frame with primas which I covered with Anita's 3D glaze.

I did find this to be a hard challenge - made a mistake with my wording as I put down caring twice The word sister made me cry - I don't feel much like a sister since my brother died so it was hard to put this down but it needed to be on the LO as its what I am.

View Gallery

Scrap Yourself: Me, Myself and I
    By Krystal Majik

This challenge made me step out from behind the camera my usual position and realise that I scrap the kids, husband and family and events in our lives but its almost like I am not a part of it as I'm not in any of the photos. I have such an image and confidence problem that is far removed from the person who I used to be, the confident bubbly person that I can be again when I'm behind my keyboard and am this faceless person even hiding behind an assumed name.

So I have resolved to get my photo taken more often and to include me instead of being the narrator all the time. I will try to discover which is my good side, and I will even try a LO in glorious technicolour, can't wait to get around to making my mini book of me from baby, todler, child, teenager, workaholic to full time mum and beyond. A fantastic idea!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Jacqueline

View Gallery

I want to thank every contributor, scrapper, sponsor and supporter of this challenge as it comes to a close on Sunday. We are still getting work submitted now and I expect a last minute rush (I sooo can identify with that!) to take our entries up to almost 500. You know, this challenge went further than I imagined and it brought scrappers together not only on UKS but internationally too. With celebrity scrappers joining in totally made the cause more worthy in order to highlight that "it is ok" to make a page about yourself. The work that has been submitted has been of a standard I'd expect to print in a book, with quotes Id put in a poem collection and with colours that could outdo a rainbow. I sit here feeling humble that you would all wanted to take part. I have laughed and I have cried at your pages. You really have all made a difference by doing that one (or sometimes more) page.
    Im so impressed that you took the time out to really think about yourselves. I know you sit and plan pages for hours, reminiscing the good times and carefully choosing your paper and embellishments for beautiful pages about your kids, pets and family. But when it actually does come down to doing a page about yourself - the world stops dead. The panic sets in and you worry that once you upload that page to the gallery thoughts like "Is this vain?", "what will they think of me?" and "Is this good enough?" go through your head.

After the challenge has closed and a winner has been announced I am going to see about setting monthly challenges in the BOM section. Something to encourage you to build that book with confidence and leave a legacy of truly inspiring artwork, pictures, thoughts and quotes. This challenge has brought something good about the way we scrap ourselves so it simply must continue. I was talking to my friend Roz here the other week and she and I would like to set challenges with artisitic dares and perhaps get you to scrap parts of your body or life you wouldn't necessarily think of scrapping about. Such as your eyes or maybe feet, scrap about the lows in your life and obviously the highs. Record your achievements and best moments but with artistic twists or using quotes and titles to help give you the push. I'd like to start one where you scrap your daily routine - include pictures of your house, your work, your kids and how it fits in your day. Reflect on why you love or hate this routine and what you can do to improve on it. Please leave your thoughts about this idea below and I will sort something out to start in June.

Once again ladies (and one gent!) may I thank you so very much that you took the time and bravery to complete this challenge. The BOM gallery is bursting with ideas, heartwarming journalling, smiley faces and happiness. You all did such a fabulous job. Im so lucky to have experienced your journey.

Kirsty x
    (wanna_scrap?)

+ Post New Thread