Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Advise about hording.

My mother is hording craft items.
    Her rooms are floor to ceiling with boxes of various items.
    It started when she was put off work with a health issue in her 50s.
    Due to her health issue had to down size house to a one bedroom house
    And lots of craft stock stored in her bedroom as no spare room. Now mum is 65 and still buying craft items that she doesn't even use just because she liked it.
    She's stopped crafting as her health doesn't permit the east of sitting at a table anymore, and her most comfy position is on a arm chair so has started knitted & sewing instead as she can do this on her lap.
    Anyway, I'm now worried as its so hard to manoeuvre in her house, even I struggle & I'm fit and healthy.
    These boxes are right up beside her bed and I worry the tower will tip over on her whilst she sleeps. To get into bed she has to crawl into a little gap.
    She says she's used to it & it's fine.
    I am thinking of ways to get rid, she won't let us remove it. She sees the value in it & doesn't want to waste it.
    But right now it serves no purpose.
    I wondering if I say to her we'll sell it.
    Do you know of anywhere to sell it, it's never been used
    It's good quality.
    I've not spoken to mum about this yet but wanted advise from
    You guys to see if 2nd hand no been used before craft material would sell
    And if so is there an outlet we could sell it at?
    You see the hording programs on TV and this really is my mum.
    But it's craft items that she's hording nothing else.
    Many thanks.

Girl with a mission to SHOP..... joolsmicra's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (4)
    Gosh...I guess all us crafters are guilty of that the a greater or lesser extent.I do know though I would be heart broken if my children sold it from under me, so to speak.Do you craft at all?I would be happier if my daughter came in and said may I have some of your stuff to make a scrapbook/ bunting/ cards, especially if she showed me the results.The only thing is, she may buy you your own!
    I have recently sorted my stash and given some to the guides, but I have bought off ebay myself, and there are the boards here to sell.Last summer, there was also a carboot near me, where a lady sold all her craft stuff, but I would guess she didnt make much, as you are selling to a non crafty crowd, who never knew paper could be so expensive!
    I now have a large school cupboard, and to an extent, I can keep what fits in! Good luck what ever you and she decides to do!
    Jools x
    Flyers Newbie CJ's....all three finished! Whoopee!

Determined to reduce the stash and photo pile arimum_123's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (10)
    Craft items sell well - there are places like gumtree, auction sites etc.
    I don't want/mean to upset you but hoarding is hoarding and from what you have said it sounds like your mum might need professional help. I wouldn't get blinded by it just being craft items. If her house does look like those on the TV (and they weren't all dirty - one woman was ladybird obsessed and had a lovely clean house but you couldn't move for ladybird nick-nacks - she even had toddlers wellies etc) and it is difficult to get around in then you and she need some help.

I hope things go well for you

Louise x
    Die-cut swap. Washi tape swap.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Hi thanks for your replies.
    Yes Jools I do enjoy craft myself, these days I don't do it anymore as I'm back in full time work and have a 3year old. I wouldn't sell it from under my mum I was going to ask her first but I needed to know there's a demand for buying this stock and where do I sell. Is selling allowed on these boards?
    Louise, I saw the ladybird episode of horders, that's like my mum. Her house is clean and tidy just full to the rim, all her craft items are boxed in plastic boxes with lids and stacked from floor to ceiling. I don't want her to sell it all just enough to be able to move about the house. Professional help maybe.? My brother and I have mentioned it but she says she's not hording it just that she had it in her bigger house and now lives in small 1 bed with no spare room. But we see new stuff adding to the piles and when we say "oh that's new, she says no had it years!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I too think your mum needs professional help. It is very difficult to appreciate the complexity of emotions that are attached to things. I know I have struggled with hanging on to things that I am unlikely to ever use and being a crafter, it does feel like you will get round to it sometime.

However I have had a major sorting out over the summer and given away things (my local children's hospice can always use craft stuff) and sorted out space where I can do the different crafts that I do and I can honestly say that having less but using it is far more rewarding that just having new stuff. It has taken a change of mindset from 'I need the perfect item' to 'what can I use from my stash?' but it is worth it.

Be prepared for the process to take a long time.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (48)
    Where abouts in the East are you? The is a big C charity stuff in Wymondham that just sells craft stuff

There is a marketplace board on here but there is a limit to what you can sell

swaps - chinse whsiper christmas card

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (60)
    Are you on Facebook, Nickinic. I can send you an invitation to a busy selling page on there. PM me if interested.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thanks for your replies. I'm about an hour away from wymondham. But could you give me more info on it please.
    All where are the selling pages on here?
    Would best to sell to crafters.
    Thanks

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (11)
    Scroll down the forums page until you get to retail therapy and then go down a bit more to the Marketplace.

Cris

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thanks. Found it! X

Determined to reduce the stash and photo pile arimum_123's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (10)
    Sorry - not been on for a few days but I just wanted to say I hope you can get some help for your mum. Knowing where or who to go to is so difficult and then getting her to accept there is a problem is going to be a hurdle too.

There was the lady who did a few programmes on the BBC about her mum being a hoarder - I am wondering if the Beeb has any helpful info on it's site or even if there are other helpful websites.

Good luck and best wishes to you

Louise x

PS could you persuade your mum to sell some of it to raise funds for a charity close to her heart? it might make it easier for her to let some of it go.
    Die-cut swap. Washi tape swap.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (8)
    YOu say she is now in a one bedroom house but does that include a smallish garden. Rather than selling it why not invest in a small shed to put it all in until she is ready to get shot? Just a thought.