Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

I've Got A Craft Room!

My boy has moved out, and as much as I'll miss him, his room is now mine!

Well... He's still got some stuff to sort/clear out and still pops in every so often, but his old room is slowly getting cleared while I plan what I want to do in there. Definitely blue walls for a start.

What I would like is a desk made from the Ikea expedit/Kallax(?sp) 4 cubed at the ends (77cm x 77cm) but wondered about the sizes in regard to the Really Useful Boxes. Would this be a good working height once the bench top is screwed on?

I have several 7Lt and 35Lt RUBs and was wondering if these fit into/onto the shelves or would I need to get something different? As much as I want it all done now, I don't want to make any expensive mistakes either.
    Thank you for any help
    Jo x

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (89)
    I redecorated my craft room and used Besta units.. Some with doors and some with glass doors you can put your own artwork in..

View Gallery

Thank you for the Besta suggestion, they're really nice cupboards. I just automatically thought of expedit, then found out Ikea have changed the name.

Did you use the Besta, as is, or put them under a workbench/desk?

Unable to read a book without altering it.. Miss Lemon's Avatar
    View Gallery

Hi Jo

I have Expedit 4x4 units and the RUB boxes which take 12x12 papers do NOT fit in the cubbies. The Expedits are generally a useful size for other things though - I keep my cutting machines in them and they are perfect for that. They also take 12x12 papers in other types of storage boxes (the RUB ones are quite a lot bigger than the papers.)

Expedit units are also a good height and sturdy enough to use as supports for your worktop - a little higher than an average dining table.

Kallax cubbies are the same size as Expedit but the outer edge is thinner so the overall (outer) size of a Kallax unit is slightly smaller (and therefore lower) than Expedit (ie you can't mix and match - you'd need a pair of one or other if you want to use them as supports for your work top.

Hope that helps.

If you want me to try out fitting other things into my Expedit cubbies, feel free to ask! I'm redoing my craft room at the moment too so I'm trying out different storage ideas and arrangements to find the most user-friendly place to put everything.
    Last edited by Miss Lemon; 07-08-2014 at 01:59 PM.
    Claudia

I have 2 blogs now: one for Arty Stuff... and one just for Cards

View Gallery

Hello Claudia, I've just sat and answered your post and it's disappeared form my computer first of all, thank you for all the information, it's been a great help.

Ive realised through, that a general worktop is 60cm and is too narrow for the width of the Kallax/expedit, now at 77cm. I'm in the process of researching for the best alternative as the wider worktops start heading into the ridiculous amounts of £s.

I didn't realise that the 7Lt RUB was so wide! Do you have a recommendation as to another 12x12 paper storage that does fit? I also have lots of A4 paper and going to be getting rid of my decorated cardboard boxes for matching A4(not sure of the size/Lt) RUBS. I'm guessing that this size does fit easily?

I'm still clearing and going to be decorating the empty room first, so that I'm not trying to juggle around everything. I'm looking forward to actually putting stuff in there Have fun reorganising your stash!

Thank you again
    Jo

Loves playing with Studio BathBelle's Avatar
    View Gallery

Watching with interest as I hope to have a craft room by Christmas.
    Ruth

View Gallery

Hi again.

Oh no Jo! I hate that - losing a reply or message you've spend ages typing!

I'm glad the info was helpful though - I've been trying to figure out the best layout for my own room for a while now and it's definitely worth taking the time to think it through and get it right.

Yes, you'd need an 80cm worktop to sit on 4x4 Kallax/Expedit units. This looks great and is practical if your workstation is in the middle of the room (like this - I know, it's amazing isn't it?!). If your workstation is against a wall though, access to the cubbies will be at the side of the workstation, which might be difficult to get at. (That's my situation).

If you do decide to go for Kallax/Expedit, those 12x12 flattish plastic storage boxes (see photo) which you can get at The Range or Hobbycraft (or anywhere else) fit in the cubbies, but it's a fairly snug fit so a bit fiddly to get them in/out. For A4 papers, magazine files fit perfectly (see photo) and are really easy to get in/out.

To keep the budget down, how about Ebay? I've just bought a 80cm x 150cm frosted glass worktop and two Ikea base/storage units for £40.

Hope that's helpful - I've also found lots of storage tips and inspiration ideas online (but have ended up with Craft Room Envy!).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Claudia

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (41)
    I made my work desk out of 2 expedits (4 cube ones) and a plain door that I painted white. the door is only slightly narrower than the expedits by about an inch. I couldn't find a bench/table top wide enough so I got my husband to buy me a plain door. It's a perfect size, both length ways and width ways and gives me plenty of work room.

I also bought the casters for the expedits which raised the desk to a comfortable standing height (I stand more when I am crafting). I do have a kitchen stool for when I want to sit though
    I wouldn't change you for the world, but I would happily change the world for you. Nicola Girdlestone(1966-)my flicker
    My scrap blog

Dedicated Scrapper scrappinsilly's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (8)
    I have 12x12 plastic storage boxes, they are about 1 inch deep and the lid and bottom part are separate, maybe you could ask the sponsors if they have any? I can fit 10 in my expedit as I have the doors on but you would get 11 in without doors. I have no idea where I got them as it was sooooo long ago. I keep them closed by using girls hairbands that I got from asda and they stretch around nicely.

Hope this helps.

these are what I have: http://www.craftobsessions.co.uk/sto...orage-box_2972
    Last edited by scrappinsilly; 19-08-2014 at 10:15 PM. Reason: adding link
    Bren

I'm a Pop Dot

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (12)
    Congratulations on gaining a craft room! I have a craft area in my bedroom which isn't ideal as DH works nights, but better than not having one at all I opted for Besta units over Expedit as I felt they are far more versatile for my needs as a crafter, adjustable shelving, doors, trays, magazine/display shelf etc. I've had mine for about 7 years and wouldn't swap for Expedit as they work well for me. I love that I can make adjustment to it as & when required.

DH made my desk for me from MDF (very cheap), so I could have it the exact size I want it. B&Q will cut it to your measurements. He painted it white. The legs were from Ikea (very reasonable). I have two Besta units sitting on top of my desk pushed to the back and factored in approximately 30" workspace in front of them to allow plenty of room around working on a 12x12 layout. I have wheeled storage underneath the desk as I also like to change that about as I store a lot of craft materials according to season/holidays. I have two 12x12 rub storage but opted not to buy more of those as when I was in Homesense once, I saw a really nice magazine bag type storage. As they sell some SB stuff I checked that 12x12 would fit & it did! I much prefer this to the RUB's as it's less bulky and more attractive. Cut a piece of paper or use a sheet of 12x12 you don't like to keep in your bag/purse so that if you are out & see something that you think will suit you can test the size of storage.

Happy designing & decorating!
    Andrea
    Decorated Christmas A5 Notebook Swap

Dedicated Scrapper scrappinsilly's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (8)
    Forgot to say, I store my boxes on their sides (they fit one way and not the other) and that's why I use hairbands to keep them closed.

Miss Lemon, sorry I didn't notice you had posted the boxes, hence the reason I spoke about mine, didn't mean to be rude. They are very handy indeed, especially if you are working on projects, you can just shut your bits and pieces away in the box until the next time you are ready to hash on.
    Bren

I'm a Pop Dot

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by scrappinsilly View Post
    Forgot to say, I store my boxes on their sides (they fit one way and not the other) and that's why I use hairbands to keep them closed.

Miss Lemon, sorry I didn't notice you had posted the boxes, hence the reason I spoke about mine, didn't mean to be rude. They are very handy indeed, especially if you are working on projects, you can just shut your bits and pieces away in the box until the next time you are ready to hash on.
    No worries Bren! That's exactly what I use those boxes for too! I always have loads of projects on the go at one time, so I use one box for each project - it makes it so easy just to choose a project and carry on with it.

No more progress on rejigging my craft room here yet - I've picked up the huge glass desktop and base units which I bought on Ebay, but I haven't cleaned them up or lugged them upstairs yet - a project for bank holiday Monday I think. I've also bought some washable tile effect vinyl wallpaper to make a 'splashback' for the desk. (I do paint-spatter on my paintings so the walls tend to get spattered too).

How are you getting on Jo? Have you made any decisions yet? Are you going to do 'before and after' photos to show us?
    Claudia

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (97)
    Just a thought but when I re-arranged my craft room ( well more of a craft space now it's so much smaller ! ) I used one of the desks that attach on to the side of an expedit , although I'm not sure , now the Expedit has turned into the Kallix , if they still do them to fit the new design !

A new Ikea fell through my letterbox yesterday ... All the new stuff is so tantalising !

Good luck with your new plans - how exciting !
    My Blog

Claire

View Gallery

Hiya All, I know this thread that I started is two years old, but rather than start another, I thought I might as well continue.
    Top and bottom is, I started clearing, but I never got to decorate and turn it into a craft room. Emergency surgery, the recovery and then more surgery last year put a stop to a lot of things I had planned. I've done some bits of crafting during this time, but not much and haven't finished many projects and still have so many photos to scrap. That's about to change ��
    I now feel ready to tackle it and have that craft room I've wanted for so long. But, again, I would like some advice.
    I have loads of stash that I've purchased (some of it to just cheer myself up) and a lot of it I can't even remember buying.
    When you started your craft room, did you just empty it of its stuff, decorate and then sort it when you were putting stuff back in?
    Or, did you sort it as you emptied the room to decorate?
    Do I buy the boxes/storage and fill now, or when it's done?
    To make that initial start, I've collected all my dies from the various lost places they were in and sat down this afternoon to put all my dies into the plastic CD pockets. I can't remember who's vid I saw on YouTube with this idea, but all my smaller dies are now neatly in one shoe box, for now.
    I haven't bought anything else yet as I don't want to make an expensive mistake. Any organising suggestions would be really appreciated.
    Damkina x

Chatty papercrafter elainevking's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    Well done on getting started Damkina! Its a daunting task! I've moved three times in three years and each time I have had to create a new craft room from scratch.
    This is how I tackled it... I don't know if there is a better way but here goes!
    Keep all of your stash out of the room until it is decorated then put it back, pre-sorted, into the room. When I say pre-sorted, I would suggest you sorted all of your stash into collections i.e.: dies, stickers, papers, cardstock, punches, etc into suitable containers. The Kallax range from Ikea is very popular with crafters as you can get large open topped boxes to store your stash in and 12" papers fit neatly inside. If you don't need to buy furniture then I would still invest in some sturdy boxes to store your suff, although personally I don't like boxes with lids as, although you can store boxes on top of each other, you can't just peer inside to see whats in there. Labelling is therefore imperative.. or buy clear plastic boxes. I store all my small embellishments in clear A4, A5 and A6 boxes and stack them on an old CD rack. I have brads, twine, butterflies, stars, stamp blocks etc in these. In drawers I have colour co-ordinated boxes of things like buttons, flowers, etc which makes it so much easier to grab when you are making a layout or card. Make sure you put your desk where you will get maximum light and invest in a decent daylight lamp or you will struggle in the winter. My no. 1 buy would be Helmer drawers from Ikea to put your desk top on.. they hold A4 paper beautifully and cost just £25 each so won't break the bank. I found the Kallax units just too high! I have a piece of plywood left over from a building project painted white with a large section of polished glass as my desk. One day I'll replace it with regular width worktop but for now it works. When putting all the stash back in the room, put the stuff you are going to use the most closest to your desk and the things you use least, furthest away. A chair on wheels is a good investment too so you can scoot across the room to get things quickly. I started off by saving lots of washing tablet tubs to store all my stash but eventually I replaced them as I went. Whatever you choose to use, I'm sure you'll love having your own creative space, so enjoy, have fun and craft on! Good luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by elainevking; 08-10-2017 at 09:20 AM.