Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Announcements & Help > Announcements

Notices

just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)

Internet issues? Change your DNS server

I mentioned that for about a week I have been having some odd problems. What has happened to ME is that lots and lots of blogs don't load but I get an error saying Safari can't find the page. I'm not willing to switch browsers (as some people have suggested) to Chrome but that might help YOU if you don';t care what browser you use. Looking on the internet it appears this may be a fairly widespread problem with Safari in particular. Having said that I tried three other browsers (but not Chrome ) and had the same problems with them.

I THINK it's sorted now and it's fairly simple - certainly on a Mac - but I can't be sure till all pages are loading for a few days.

Basically you need to change your DNS server (Domain Name Server - this is the thing that take the name of a site and sends you to its IP address location. Wikipedia says:
    The most important function of DNS servers is the translation (resolution) of human-memorable domain names and hostnames into the corresponding numeric Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, the second principal name space of the Internet which is used to identify and locate computer systems and resources on the Internet.

On a Mac you only need to open System Preferences > Network > Your router, whatever it's called then add the IP address of the Open DNS servers to the beginning of the DNS SERVERS list. They are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. Save it and try a site that refused to load to see if it has helped.

You can do this temporarily then delete it later (in a week maybe) and see if the problem has been sorted, going back to the DNS server your router usually uses. If changing the DNS server solves the problem and gong back makes the problem happen AGAIN, you can just re-add Open DNS. It MAY be possible to use the Google DNS server rather than Open DNS but I don't know what the IP address of that is

I DO know that since we changed to Open DNS I have not had a single page fail to load.

I'm sorry I don't know exactly how you would do this on a PC. This page may help http://www.opendns.com/home-internet...y/premium-dns/

I know some people have said they have had trouble loading UKS - it is NOT a UKS problem. I would be interested to know if ALL the people with problems have been using Safari or Firefox (both of which I tried and both which failed to load a LOT of pages) or if ALL Chrome users have not had the problem at all.

At least a couple of things I've read point to it being a RECENT problem (maybe since mid-March) and perhaps something to do with a new version of Safari.

The real test will be when I try to do Blog Bits tomorrow......

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    This is interesting MaryAnne and I am one of those who has had problems opening UKS.

It usually happens after midnight very rarely in the day (if at all). I am now using Safari but it was the same when I had my pc and used Internet Explorer - although at that time I had a problem with a lot of sites. I then changed to Firefox and that was a lot better but still had problems occasionally on UKS but it always seemed to be after midnight - spooky!

Whether we are talking about the same problem I don't know.

View Gallery

Humm. I wonder if when you are trying to access UKS is during the time Smax is running the back up of the days posts? That could be an explanation, I guess. I know he does it in the middle of our night (UK time) but not sure of the exact time. The problem I describe is notorious as a Safari problem (and that was the case for me for sure!) so the fact you experienced it with IE makes me wonder.....

Oh the ways of t'internet are strange and mysterious.....

I grew back ... like a starfish. Kitty Crafts's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (99)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnne View Post
    Humm. I wonder if when you are trying to access UKS is during the time Smax is running the back up of the days posts? That could be an explanation, I guess. I know he does it in the middle of our night (UK time) but not sure of the exact time.

Oh the ways of t'internet are strange and mysterious.....

I have found this a few times too (before UKS began playing up for me) and it is roughly the same time each night (give or take) usually about 1am - 1.30 ish for me but as I am only a night owl in school holidays and Friday/Saturday night, it isn't really a problem
    Christmas Stocking Swap *** ATCoin Swap

Blog Thingy

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

The Internet Explorer problem was mainly IE I think, it was really slow when it worked at all. I changed to Firefox and it resolved most issues. Thinking about it, of late I have had a few more problems so maybe it is a Safari issue as well, I suppose it doesn't have to be just one issue.

As you can see, another night owl so you may have found the cause of the problem MaryAnne. It isn't a real problem as such, I'm on UKS throughout the day and night so it is usually one last little check in before bed.

Tonight I had no problems whatsoever - go figure!

When you're in a hole ...... stop digging! juliab's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (54)
    I have been having problems viewing anything in the gallery - I tried at lunchtime today and I have just tried now at home. In both cases I have been using Google Chrome. I get a message saying that the server can't find the page. Very annoying
    Julia

Christmas stocking swap 2020

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by juliab View Post
    I have been having problems viewing anything in the gallery - I tried at lunchtime today and I have just tried now at home. In both cases I have been using Google Chrome. I get a message saying that the server can't find the page. Very annoying
    Now that DOES sound like a DNS problem! If you had access to another machine, maybe on WiFi that is NOT your ISP that you could log in to - or maybe even a friend who you trust to log in as you? - that may shed some light.

When you're in a hole ...... stop digging! juliab's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (54)
    Bizarrely it seems to be working fine today. Grrr - technology .. drives you mad!
    Julia

Christmas stocking swap 2020

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I had problems recently getting into UKS, thanks to admin I am now getting in no probs, but found that while UKS accepted my user name it was stuck on my old pass word but low and behold it is now ok, so ta te ta to the admin team for all your help and just found your face book site ( I'm a happy bunny now )