Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Owner of Janome MC9900 & Brother ScanNCut
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)

what does compound path do

I've read somewhere its used with fonts so that if you share something and the other person doesn't have the font you used, it will be ok if you used compound path when designing?

what else is it used for, I've discovered you can not weld anything if you have applied compound path, so am curious.

Ive been playing with the software on and off most of today and its fine in the main i am just confused about this though.

thanks

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Just as an example if you want to make a frame with 2 circles one inside the other it cuts the middle out like in the image on the right, the one on the left is just grouped
    Attached Images Attached Images

View Gallery

Doreen thank you, would you then be able to weld words to the inside or do you have to do something else before you could do that.

Is it used for anything else, just trying to get my head around the software as never used it before

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Yes you can weld words inside once you've made it a compound path as long as the letter at each end of the word overlaps the inner part of the 2 circles. That's all I use it for myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images

View Gallery

ok thanks i will have more of a play today. i had been trying to use inkscape again on my mac but it was very stable for some odd reason and some of the functions were not available, so i removed it. studio seems fine and easy so will stick with this for now.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by stressed View Post
    I've read somewhere its used with fonts so that if you share something and the other person doesn't have the font you used, it will be ok if you used compound path when designing?

what else is it used for, I've discovered you can not weld anything if you have applied compound path, so am curious.

Ive been playing with the software on and off most of today and its fine in the main i am just confused about this though.

thanks
    It works for me welding after making a compound path.

I use release and make a compound path for separating a page of images after tracing. Release the compound path on the whole image, then select the parts I want to keep together with the mouse and make a compound path. When pieces of the trace are hard to select I rotate the image.