Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking

Notices

Thread: Scoring boards

Hybrid View

The Crafty Magpie Crafty Magpie's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Scoring boards

Any help and advice would be most welcome as need honest pro's and Con's to help me know which score board to buy - I know of the 'Score Pal' and the 'Hougie' but may be there are other options I know nothing off ?
    I have the original wooden card score board and the wooden box board and the wooden envelope board BUT I would like one board for this as these are bulky and not really giving me the freedom I want ( I am justifying my christmas money spend on replacing these as my old trio then are heading to the local dementia support group as a donation as they have started doing memory book and crafting groups and they borrowed them at christmas and found them useful)
    Thanks for help and sorry if posted in wrong place but part of my new year pledge is to ask for help when needed more so this is a first for me - thanks x

Dedicated Scrapper Crafty Sandra's Avatar
    View Gallery

I have the Stampin Up score board its measurements are in inches but you can get an overlay for centimeters and a diagonal one. Theres also an overlay for you to do fancy borders.

Sandra

Chinese whisper LO swap

Loves playing with Studio BathBelle's Avatar
    View Gallery

There's a new one I only saw reference to this morning which is the WRMK Trim and Score board. Haven't had time to look at reviews yet, could be interesting.
    Ruth

Dedicated Scrapper SilverTiger2's Avatar
    View Gallery

I love my Hougie - it does everything - boxes and envelopes of all sizes - perfectly every time. It is double sided so you have the advantage of inches and centimetres all on one board. It and the Cuttlebug are the most used pieces in my craftroom.

View Gallery

Thanks for info - I am going to look at the WRMK site to see what theirs is like and then will look at the Stamping-up one but my gut was leaning to the Hougie as inches and centimeters is a plus also looks like its a uk product ?

View Gallery

Well I have gone for the We R Memory keepers as folds up and does both CM and Inches and at £20 I have some money left to invest in the perfect layers rulers lol!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (3)
    I have the Martha Stewart one and find it great.
    Sarah

Loves playing with Studio BathBelle's Avatar
    View Gallery

I went to use the imperial side of the Hougie today to find it only does inches and half inches, not very good as the tutorial called for quarter inches.
    Ruth

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

If the pattern allows it Ruth I add a 1/4" (or cm if I'm working in metric) to the cut length of the card, butt up against the bar and round up to either 1/2 or whole then trim that 1/4" off when I'm finished.

The wrmk cut & score board isnt bad, so far mine's cut straight, square and accurately in inches. I'm not soo keen on cutting before scoring as I havent found the flip over lid you butt against to be perfectly accurate, so I tend to score and cut while the card is anchored. Not quite as impressed if I want to work in metric as the cm markings arent easy to spot when I havent got my specs on, they're written away from the top ridge so I'm fairly likely to cut the card squiffy or have to guess if I've got the card at the right size.

For me, in an ideal world I'd have the hougie for most of my boxes and non cardmaking. Scorpal metric for scoring a4/a5 in half/gatefolds, wrmk envie punch board for envies and MS for the rare occasions when I need to mess about with fractions of inches. I've been saying I'll get an MS board at the next craft show when I have money burning hole syndrome for a few years now but I always find something else I want more. The wrmk trim & score might make me change my mind as I use it more & more but I bought it primarily as a trimmer.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by playingwpaper View Post

For me, in an ideal world I'd have the hougie for most of my boxes and non cardmaking. Scorpal metric for scoring a4/a5 in half/gatefolds, wrmk envie punch board for envies and MS for the rare occasions when I need to mess about with fractions of inches. I've been saying I'll get an MS board at the next craft show when I have money burning hole syndrome for a few years now but I always find something else I want more. The wrmk trim & score might make me change my mind as I use it more & more but I bought it primarily as a trimmer.
    Ahh in an ideal world they would merge the best of each idea but guess patents and copy right etc stop this ( darn it !)
    It's the same with the die cutting machines - they all have plus points and minuses so if they just put the best bits in to one - alas getting the perfect item would mean less money needed on the tools but just think how much I would have to spend on paper and embellishments etc lol!