Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Scrappin' in my cabin... starbeval's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (43)

Can I cut mylar in my Cameo?

Hi ladies, me again with another question
    Please can anyone tell me if I can cut shapes and/or my own stencils/masks out of sheets of mylar in my Cameo?
    Check IGA Catalogue and ALDI Catalogue.
    Thank you!
    Sue

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Hi Sue - We cut Mylar for masks and stencils on a frequent basis. I'm afraid I can't tell you how thick the material we use is (I don't have a micrometer to measure it) but we buy ours from the same source and I know on the Cameo with blade set to 6 and force of 25, using double cut, we have no problems. We have also used Doeflex but find that can take up to 4 cuts to complete the job. My wife finds the Mylar masks work well, so we don't force the issue with heavier materials.

Eddie

View Gallery

Hi Eddie, many thanks for your reply

I'm watching some mylar on the auction site and it states that the mylar is 125 micron but that doesn't mean anything to me, I'm afraid...

Your info is very helpful so I think I'll go ahead and purchase some and have a go on my Cameo

PS Sorry, should have said 'Hi ladies and gents'...no offence intended!
    Sue

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by starbeval View Post
    Hi Eddie, many thanks for your reply

I'm watching some mylar on the auction site and it states that the mylar is 125 micron but that doesn't mean anything to me, I'm afraid...

Your info is very helpful so I think I'll go ahead and purchase some and have a go on my Cameo

PS Sorry, should have said 'Hi ladies and gents'...no offence intended!
    Hi
    125 micron = .125 mm, which in theory for card would mean blade 2. I would guess to be cutting at a 6 blade Ed's mylar is about .250 micron/mm. Mylar is a plastic and is therefore denser than paper, and like paper comes in different thicknesses This is where the handy little test cut feature comes in handy. Like Ed and his wife I always cut mine on double cut. There are plenty of sites where you can do conversions. Have fun with your mylar.

Lynda
    LIFE'S JOURNEY is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit, what a ride!" - Mavis Leyrer age 83

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Someone on another site I belong to cuts a laminated pouch which has been put through the laminator empty to use as a stencil. I tried it and although it cut fine it was really flimsy so no good as a stencil. I'm not sure how thick it was because the pouches aren't in their original packing but I've bought some that are 125 microns so when I get a some time I will try one of those.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by labish View Post
    Hi
    125 micron = .125 mm, which in theory for card would mean blade 2. I would guess to be cutting at a 6 blade Ed's mylar is about .250 micron/mm. Mylar is a plastic and is therefore denser than paper, and like paper comes in different thicknesses This is where the handy little test cut feature comes in handy. Like Ed and his wife I always cut mine on double cut. There are plenty of sites where you can do conversions. Have fun with your mylar.

Lynda
    Hi Lynda
    Thank you for the info
    I expect I'll make lots of mistakes to start with but it's all about finding out, isn't it
    Sue

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by DJG View Post
    Someone on another site I belong to cuts a laminated pouch which has been put through the laminator empty to use as a stencil. I tried it and although it cut fine it was really flimsy so no good as a stencil. I'm not sure how thick it was because the pouches aren't in their original packing but I've bought some that are 125 microns so when I get a some time I will try one of those.
    I'd be interested to hear how you got on, Doreen
    Sue

View Gallery

I'd be interested to hear how you got on, Doreen
    I'll report back when I've had a go hopefully sometime this week.

Update
    I tried it with ed's settings (pressure 25 blade 6 and double cut) but it only cut the top layer
    Last edited by DJG; 25-11-2013 at 07:44 PM.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Mylar for stencils

Hi Lynda
    Thank you for the info
    I expect I'll make lots of mistakes to start with but it's all about finding out, isn't it
    Hi Lynda, I've just bought some Mylar and wondering how you go on with cutting the mylar? Thanks a mil

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by moideux View Post
    Hi Lynda, I've just bought some Mylar and wondering how you go on with cutting the mylar? Thanks a mil
    Hi
    I'm sorry I don't understand your question. If you are asking settings, every machine is different. I cut, speed 10, blade depth 5/6, and pressure 10 - 20, double cut, depending on how new my blade is. Do a/or more test cuts until you are satisfied with the cut you get. I have blade dedicated to plastics and I always double cut them, and start with a test cut, also make sure the mylar is firmly attached to the carrier sheet, I use a bone folder. don't forget to make a note of the settings.I hope this is what you were asking, if not try again.

Lynda
    LIFE'S JOURNEY is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit, what a ride!" - Mavis Leyrer age 83

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Glad I seen this because I was going to ask the same question. I have to give it a go. thank you xx Dawn

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by labish View Post
    Hi
    I'm sorry I don't understand your question. If you are asking settings, every machine is different. I cut, speed 10, blade depth 5/6, and pressure 10 - 20, double cut, depending on how new my blade is. Do a/or more test cuts until you are satisfied with the cut you get. I have blade dedicated to plastics and I always double cut them, and start with a test cut, also make sure the mylar is firmly attached to the carrier sheet, I use a bone folder. don't forget to make a note of the settings.I hope this is what you were asking, if not try again.

Lynda
    Hi Lynda, that was exactly the information I was looking for - thank you so much. I am very new to the Silhouette and have only used it for cutting vinyl, so this was an unknown area.
    Again, thank you for your response

View Gallery

Cameo 4 and Kraft knife settings for Mylar 190 microns

Quote Originally Posted by moideux View Post
    Hi Lynda, that was exactly the information I was looking for - thank you so much. I am very new to the Silhouette and have only used it for cutting vinyl, so this was an unknown area.
    Again, thank you for your response
    Hi all I've just joined the forum

I use my Cameo to cut stencils for decorating the side of cakes and just purchased the cameo 4 because the cameo 3 was struggling to cut thick mylar and didn't cut all the way through without 6 or 7 passes

I also purchased the Kraft blade and had a play around with it to see it would cut thick mylar I have 135 and 190 micron

After a lot of frustrated wrong cuts and settings I've found the best cut settings for thick mylar to be:

Kraft tool in number 2 holder
    Added a new material and called it Mylar thick Kraft tool and added the cameo4 tool2 kraft cut
    Force is set at 4
    Speed is set at 10
    Passes is set to be 1
    Accel. Is set to 1
    Blade depth is on 4
    Track enhancing IS ticked
    Disable smart cut IS ticked (stops the little cuts)
    Loop force is 1
    Loop blade height is 0
    Loop overcut is 0
    Loop radius is 0.079 lowest setting
    No blade in the first slot

All images have been traced outside edge and grouped in one big pictures in design
    Tool2 selected without tool 1
    Material is Mylar kraft blade new settings
    Action is kraft cut
    Tool is set to be kraft cut auto detected 3 mm

Set the tool bottom right to be 2
    Then send to cut

It cuts great first time doesnt stick or faultered while cutting and is smooth and I also have the mylar on the sticky cameo matt

Hope this helps some one else that may have been struggling too

Dedicated Card Maker - Limited Sponsor - Shirley Anne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Thanks for the info Phil and welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by Shirley Anne; 13-04-2020 at 06:54 AM.

View Gallery

Thank you for sharing your settings