Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Thread: Buying a Cameo

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Buying a Cameo

I see that an American site has the Cameo 2 for less than £200 with free delivery in UK and, it appears, all taxes included. Has anyone purchased through this route before? It makes it much more affordable for me but not sure how the machine performs via a currency adapter. I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience of this.
    Shirley.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Sorry I haven't purchased my machine from America, but I think you would be fine if all taxes are paid, and I wouldn't think the performance would be any poorer with a different plug. The only thing I'd be worried about would be if something happened and you needed a repair. You might have to pay to send it all the way back in that case.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Welcome to the forum FunnyOhMe

View Gallery

It wouldn't be from an Amazon seller by any chance would it? The reason I ask is because someone on here was going to buy one have a read of this thread http://www.ukscrappers.co.uk/boards/...ighlight=cameo

Graphtec have the original Cameo for £219. admittedly you would have to add postage but it would be a UK machine and their customer service is A plus whereas I've been reading that SA are taking ages to reply if at all.
    Last edited by DJG; 29-01-2015 at 05:12 PM.

View Gallery

Thank you for the replies, for some reason they weren't highlighted when I was on the site earlier. Yes Doreen, it is on Amazon and I had emailed them about the need for a transformer but thank you for the link. I've had an acknowledgement but not a reply yet. Now I'd better find out what a transformer will cost before I make a decision.

I appreciate the point about repairs but I may decide to take a chance - my Craft Robo hasn't needed to be returned so I should keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

I ordered something from the same company a couple of years ago and when it arrived it had a UK postmark and contact address on it, I've forgotten where, somewhere along the south coast I think, so I guess they have an importer based here.

Is there any significant difference between the two models? If not I may consider the Graphtec original one, at least then the lovely Brian would be on hand if help were needed!! Will let you know what transpires!
    Shirley.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    As far as I am aware, the only difference is that the one from Graphtec would be guaranteed to work in this country with no need of a transformer. Also as you say, the lovely Brian is always more than happy to help with any problems.

View Gallery

The differences are a cutter at the back for when you're cutting vinyl from a roll, a small drawer at the side for your blades, a port for a usb stick instead of the SD card slot, a touch screen and the little ridge to left where you line up your mat is marked to make it easier to see and the rollers are spring loaded.....I think that's all of the differences

View Gallery

Thank you Doreen. I'm not interested in the rear cutter but the other things may be worth the difference in price. I understand the purpose of an SD slot but am puzzled by the USB slot, what would one use it for?
    Shirley.

View Gallery

It would be used the same way as an SD card Shirley although when you save to an SD card it changes the format to GSP I'm not sure if it would be the same for a USB stick of if it would still be a Studio file

View Gallery

Thanks Doreen. Guess I've always thought of USB as a connection to something rather than an end in itself.
    Shirley.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (3)
    You don't need atransformer just a travel plug. The box thingy on the cable transforms the current from 120-240 so it can be used here and the US. I bought my silhouette from Grsphtec but have a cricut from the U.S and just use a travel plug.

View Gallery

Thank you very much Lindylu, that is really helpful. I used to travel a lot so have a travel plug (or several!) somewhere. It's looking more like the American option but something is still holding me back! Haven't been doing much crafting lately so finding it hard to justify to myself buying a new machine - a conscience can be a tiresome thing!!
    Shirley.