Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking > Tips and Techniques

Notices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I wish I was.....in Austria VAL DER RE's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (10)

Printing out papers from c.d's

Hi,

I know there have been loads of threads in the past about printers, but I am looking for something fairly cheap and basic just for printing out from cd's. I am not bothered about it being all singing and dancing, my DOH has one off those and I am never impressed when I have printed out background papers etc., with the colours, also his ink is quite expensive.

So, does anyone have any recommendations please
    Valx

Totally addicted to all things Vampire

My Blog http://cardscatscakes.blogspot.com/

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Is thickness of paper an issue? Most have difficulty taking thicker card.

Card Making Addict
    View Gallery

Hi Val

My Canon Pixma ip4200 prints very nice backgrounds, it wasn't expensive and if you buy 'compatible' inks, they are cheap for it too . . . and, it takes quite thick card!

But everyone, will have their own favourite and the best thing you can do, is perhaps try a few out in shops. I just read loads of on-line reviews before buying mine

Hope this helps.

Hazel x

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    Before you pay out for a new printer, try changing the paper you use and also change the printer paper setting and print quality settings. The problem with your quality could be one of those reasons.
    Best Wishes
    Tootsie (Diane)

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I use Epson printers but I tend to stick to the older models which take quite heavy card stock as I like to print up to 300 gsm.

As Diane said the paper and printer settings are so important and some paper won't print vibrant colours no matter what you do. I've tested dozens of papers/cardstock for printing charity cards, most companies will send samples. I don't like the ink to fade into the paper and look washed out.

Tesco used to make a 120 gsm photo paper which was perfect for printing off cd's/digi designs but not sure if they make it anymore. I've since bought their white presentation card which prints very nicely although I have to set it to Photo Quality Ink Jet settings to enable it to print right to the edge otherwise printing on Plain Paper settings is just as good.

I only use compatible ink for printing papers, the Epson ink is saved for photo's. So I pay around £10/£12 for my six cartridges. Hope some of this helps.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

What thickness of card have you gone up to please Hazel?I bought some centura pearl because they said it would work with an inkjet but my printer will not take it.
    Last edited by PinkPig1; 30-03-2013 at 04:29 PM.

Dedicated Scrapper phoenix rising's Avatar
    View Gallery

The main thing about printing thicker card as I understand it is whether the printer loads from the front or back.

If from the back it's usually no problem, it's straight in from the back & out the front. If it's from the front the paper has to go in & roll over before coming out again, hence heavier card is a problem. I've always stuck to a back loader & they've always been Epsons.
    Lesley

Phoenix rising

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (52)
    To get quality of colour you are best definitely with either a card made for photos or presentations. These mean that the ink doesn't soak into the cardstock (which uses more ink in itself) and the colours should stay more true.
    A Bowl of Cherries - My personal blog

Card Making Addict
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPig1 View Post
    What thickness of card have you gone up to please Hazel?I bought some centura pearl because they said it would work with an inkjet but my printer will not take it.
    Mine is 250gsm photo matt, but I have found that although it's 250gsm, it seems an awful lot 'thicker/heavier' than the 250gsm glossy that I have?

Hazel x

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I think it's something to do with the density of the card. I have also had 250 gsm card that is okay going through one printer but another make is more of a problem.

I like to find a good card stock and stick to it - until they stop making it of course.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thanks Hazel and Suzie. The printer you use has been updated Hazel , so I might have a look at it.

Card Making Addict
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPig1 View Post
    Thanks Hazel and Suzie. The printer you use has been updated Hazel , so I might have a look at it.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Hazel x

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I have reserved one at Argos thanks Hazel.

Card Making Addict
    View Gallery

I get my compatible inks for mine on-line at a company called Internet Ink and I paid about £18 for the full set, which includes the big black cartridge (my printer takes two black cartridges) I believe it's got something to do with getting a true black, I think it was said - somewhere, when I first bought mine - that usually in ink-jet printers the black is usually laid down as a 'composite' of all the colours, but with this model it uses the larger black ink tank to lay down a 'true' black (at least I think that's what I was told ) LOL

Hazel x

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thanks Hazel. I think this ones has the two tanks. Off to look at the specs before I pick it up.