Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking > Tips and Techniques

Notices

Thread: Splodge Away

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Splodge Away

Has anyone used a Splodge Away mat?

Thanks

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (42)
    No, but am certainly intrigued enough to go find out about them...

Personal blog *
    Craftaholics TL & Blue Brad DTL * CJs: MojoII&III * SWAPS: Nada!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (32)
    I've got one and it really does work. is barbara grey online using it ??? _( possibly in the Creat & craft classroom) It saves ink and is a lot easier for brayering. I got the 12x12, but there is now an A3 i think - and a small one good for cards, tags etc.
    Rosie

Glitterbugs Team Member
    .2015 Christmas Card Chinese Whisper swap

View Gallery

Hi I was asking as I have bought one and just wondered what others think of it. I haven't tried it yet, it seems to be very similar to Mylar.

Gotta buy it, can't afford it lizzyann's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (11)
    Hi I have bought one but not tried it yet.

Dedicated Scrapper SilverTiger2's Avatar
    View Gallery

I recently bought the A3 size one - it is wonderful !

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    best bit of craft kit Ive bought in a long time, highly recommend them!

Dedicated Scrapper SilverTiger2's Avatar
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by bonjen3 View Post
    best bit of craft kit Ive bought in a long time, highly recommend them!
    I would agree with that ! Wasn't going to buy one, thought it was just another gimmick until I saw Barbara Grey doing amazing things with one - that convinced me. Ordered one and it has been in constant use since it arrived.

Procrastinating Scrapper... Weaselwise's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (46)
    So how does it differ from a heat sheet then? I use mine with sprays and distress inks and water with no problem... (am posting from work so cannot view video's ATM...)

EDIT: OK, so I found it on Claritys website, but still not quite sure how it differs from the heat sheet... but oh my the stencils that come with it are absolutely lush!
    Last edited by Weaselwise; 25-10-2012 at 07:50 AM. Reason: added a bit
    ...Weasel AKA Suzie...
    Wise Weasel Witterings ... Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

chaotic card maker and scrapper also known as Jackie jeken's Avatar
    View Gallery

there is also one called stamps away ink blending mat (which I have ordered and it is cheaper) which sounds very similar to the splodge away mat. My pal Pauline has the splodge mat so we could compare the two when we next meet up.
    Jackie

my blog

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    It is not like the heat sheet, for a start if you were to heat it then you would ruin the mat completely, infact it looks as if it would melt / warp as its pretty rigid.

I would say (although Im no expert) that it is a mat purely to be used to blend inks, without getting those horrible lines that you so often get if you put too much ink on your applicator or brayer.

It is brilliant to use to brayer cards, makes it so much easier as you can really control the shading , can blend colours easily on the mat and you dont get the brayer lines. You no longer need to do the brayer wheelie and run off excess ink onto photocopier paper, so you save a massive amount of ink.
    I'm finding that as there is less ink flying around my workspace , Im also keeping my hands a lot cleaner which means I am not getting those very frustrating ink marks on my artwork.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by jeken View Post
    there is also one called stamps away ink blending mat (which I have ordered and it is cheaper) which sounds very similar to the splodge away mat. My pal Pauline has the splodge mat so we could compare the two when we next meet up.
    hi is the stamps away one any good or is it worth paying the extra for the splodge away mat.

chaotic card maker and scrapper also known as Jackie jeken's Avatar
    View Gallery

hi Tracey, I would say to go for the Splodge away one as the quality is far better. It is more expensive but I think I should have gone for that option. Mine do work but and I do use them but I find that my A4 one has a bit of a bend in it - it won't lay flat on the table. I have been keeping it under a heavy book to try and flatten it out but even that doesn't help. The tiny one is good when using little sponges so you can take off a bit of the ink so it isn't too dark, and the A4 is good for using the brayer to take off excess ink and not just wasting ink and paper. Not so sure why anyone would need the very big size unless they were going to use lots of different colours with the brayer in the one project. Hope that helps.
    Jackie

my blog

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by jeken View Post
    hi Tracey, I would say to go for the Splodge away one as the quality is far better. It is more expensive but I think I should have gone for that option. Mine do work but and I do use them but I find that my A4 one has a bit of a bend in it - it won't lay flat on the table. I have been keeping it under a heavy book to try and flatten it out but even that doesn't help. The tiny one is good when using little sponges so you can take off a bit of the ink so it isn't too dark, and the A4 is good for using the brayer to take off excess ink and not just wasting ink and paper. Not so sure why anyone would need the very big size unless they were going to use lots of different colours with the brayer in the one project. Hope that helps.
    thank you for the reply I will go and buy the splodge away.