Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking

Notices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Which adhesives to use?

Hello everyone,
    I am relatively new to card making. I have made few quite unprofessional cards til now, but really enjoyed my time doing it, so I have a bit maybe stupid question for all of you who are far ahead than me
    What kind of adhesives do you prefer using and why? I can see such a variety that I am not sure what exactly should buy. I am thinking of these that look like a gun in the hand and produce something like a double sided tape when are already over the paper....I hope you can understand what I mean What criteria should I look for when choosing?
    Any help will be apreciated
    Lidi

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    I like the ATG, which the the big yellow tape gun you've probably seen. Only drawback with it is that it sticks INSTANTLY so if I'm trying to position a panel or whatever just right on a card, I run a cheapie glue stick over the tape and this gives me some playing time.

I think a tape runner of some sort is ideal for cards because it's much less messy than other adhesives and sticks well.

I also use Glossy Accents for small bits like gems or metal, and there is usually some foam tape somewhere on my cards.

The great thing about cardmaking is that nothing needs to be acid-free!

Nutter Extraordinaire!! scrappydiva's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (12)
    I like the ATG too, but it can be a bit huge and daunting for new crafters. It also does stick instantly so you can't reposition anything. If I want to reposition something OR if I need to pack something smaller (ie. for a crop etc.) then I love the Stampin' Up Snail adhesive. Once you get to 10 posts you can PM HysteriCAL as she is a demo and a sponsor on here and she can get you some ordered if you want.

Other than that, my only advice is that with adhesives you generally get what you pay for. If it's cheap, then it's probably going to be nasty too. I have lost count of the number of tape runners I have bought and ended up throwing away because they broke/the tape didn't work/it was fiddly to reload etc. The same goes for double sided tape, liquid glue and foam pads too. Spend a little bit extra and you usually find that the results are loads better!

Good luck and I hope you continue enjoying your new hobby!!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Hi girls, thank you very much for the fast response. I made quick search on what are these you're talking about. I was looking at hobby craft and there is this Stix 2 Anything Double Sided Acid Free Permanent Transfer Tape Pen for £2.79. Is it good enough, it seems like a cheap one, I really don't want to have my cards destroyed the first moment my friends have them in their hands
    Scrappydiva, is Stampin' Up Snail adhesive something new, I can't find it..do you have an idea of the price?
    Helen, which foam tape would you recommend? I am amazed by this 3D effect, jus
    t saw an youtube demonstration Please, don't laugh at me
    I also saw this one: MyStick Tape Dispenser at QVC. Have you ever used that? I like the offer because there are 2repositionable and 4permanent for £18.00. Maybe I will go for that one as a beginning, but first I need your advice.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Sorry to crash your thread OP, but I was just wondering if anybody uses superglue in their cardmaking?! And if not, why not? What's a good alternative, which has the same consistency?

View Gallery

i've had bits fall off or come away from cards before which thankfully i'd not sent but makes me think others i had would have had the same thing happen. since then i've changed my whole adhesive choice. I use stix 2 double sided tape, its manilla in colour, or the red coloured one which are both super sticky - i use this when putting paper on card or card on card. i use a 3d gel, not sure if i can mention names but one starts with pin and the other is called col if that helps - i've tried other silicons but have had them bleed through mullberry flowers and white card sentiments hence i changed. i'd love an atg but just can't bring myself to spend that much - its on my want list!

i use foam pads but normally use another adhesive on them to make sure they stick as i've had them come away before.

flightless - i know a crafter who swears by bostik! i like to sit near her for the fumes

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by lilliboy View Post
    flightless - i know a crafter who swears by bostik! i like to sit near her for the fumes
    Ahh, and she has no problems with it coming through the other side of the paper or anything? Is bostik just like superglue?!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I still use PVA for everything, using a fine pointed glue pot. Once you get used to it, you know how much to use. Most think I am bonkers, but I wont change whats not broken:0)
    Sandy

< >
    \0/
    /_\

Unable to read a book without altering it.. Miss Lemon's Avatar
    View Gallery

I use lots of different adhesives, even on one card! For paper/card I use ATG or double-sided tape (I only use Sellotape brand DST- it's in a different league to other brands in my opinion), PVA for hard embellishments, and the supersticky double-sided tape (with a red liner) for ribbon. Foam pads or Pinflair glue gel to add height.

I've tried most of the little tape runners and have to say none of them have been much good. They work OK when you use them, but the adhesive loses it's stick after a couple of weeks/months so the corners of your layers start to peel off.

Superglue for cardmaking? No way! It's way too easy to stick your fingers together with superglue, and it's really expensive, and toxic. PVA does a great job on wooden/plastic/metal embellishments.
    Claudia

I have 2 blogs now: one for Arty Stuff... and one just for Cards

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (55)
    I can't imagine why you'd want to use Superglue for paper and card either!

I use a combination of things too. DST and a Pritt stick type glue (mine is Tombow) fpr general use with paper and card. I find the little tape runners don't last long and are quite expensive so don't use these. I also like the glue pens with a fine nib for sticking fiddly/intricate die cuts and I'm a recent convert to 'wet glue' in the form of Tombow Multi. It has a very fine tip on one end and a wider applicator at the other so I can get just the right amount in place without the paper becoming soggy and wrinkling.

ETA: I forgot Glossy Accents! I use that when I need extra sticking power for an embellishment
    Last edited by angelfish; 18-06-2012 at 10:50 AM.
    Fiona xx

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I prefer tape runners but find one that you think is good. I use them for inserts in cards because they are easy to use and manoeuvrable. ATG is good but I find it messy and can get clumpy and the tape can come off the runner. It's good for larger objects though.

Glossy accents for fiddly bits is a must. The nozzle is fine and I only wish I'd known about it sooner. Glue dots are good as well. It all depends on what works for you and what you want to use it for.

Try and few different ones and see how you get on.

Dedicated Scrapper SilverTiger2's Avatar
    View Gallery

I am hopeless with those little tape runner things - I see people like Debbi Moore use them on C & C and it looks so easy - but I always wreck the things ! So for me it is:-

Double sided tape for matting and layering paper and inserts; Photoglue for layering card; Silicone gel for decoupage; 'Sticky Fingers' for parchment/vellum; Quicky Glue pens for adding glitter; and glossy accents for adding jewels or making raindrops etc.,

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

sad

Ok, girls, now I have "sufficient" experience with tape runners that I can share with you
    I think wet glue is just not for me. I was at Summer Crafting this summer and when I finished with the MINI tape runner we've got, I was pressured to use wet glue....such a messy. I think it is quite difficult to use, at least for me
    After trying different dispensers like Stick it, Stix2 and some other cheap ones, I have decided it is time for something more expensive and hopefully lasting longer in the card... Herma and tombow were ok but my FAVORIT is: MySick: the only one that really lasts. It is really easy to use, can adjust it to the shape of your hand and I love the fact you can get these tiny strips, I usually use only one or two for very small pieces and it really works and works for looooong time!
    AND one more thing, I love that MyStick is sponsoring the breast cancer assosiation...I just lost my grandfather a month ago, he was sisck of cancer! I think buying a great product and helping for the sick people is the best way we can feel like helping ourselves and the others.. Eat healthy and enjoy every day!!!

Crazy about Art and Crafts tassycrafty's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    Hello,
    Thanks for this info. My personal preference by far is the ATG gun. I have two, one yellow where I put the large adhesive and the pink one which I have now loaded with the medium adhesive. Even though it is big, I am now used to it and the adhesives are really strong. When I make cards, I find that, my layers stay put together. The only negative about this is, the glue is so sticky that, once you glue something down, you cannot take it off so you have to be careful when placing an element down.

Thanks,
    Tassy

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Hey girls,
    You mention this ATG quite many times and now I am curious. What is the difference between the yellow and the pink ATG except the price? Looking at the pictures..they seem quite the same