Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)

Scraps of fabric: what is acceptable?

Sounds like a daft question. Like others, I have been trying to be more frugal and have been saving all I can off clothes too tatty to wear, such as buttons, clothes tags, hanging loops etc. I have also cut up some old bras for the lace and trims like bows and silk panels. Today when I was cutting up a pair of old lacy knickers to save the lace I wondered if I had gone too far? Do you draw the line at recyling your old undies, or is anything fair game for scrapbooking?
    Mary x

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (42)
    I think if they're anything like these, it'd be a shame not to recycle them!
    (warning, risque content!)
    http://rufflepanties.net/wp-content/...le-panties.jpg

Personal blog *
    Craftaholics TL & Blue Brad DTL * CJs: MojoII&III * SWAPS: Nada!

View Gallery

If you like it and you think you will be able to use it for something, then it's fine to recycle anything you like as far as I am concerned.

View Gallery

I'm going to continue, after all, once some lace is stuck on a layout it isn't obvious that it originated from undies. PS Leanie, those knickers are great!
    Mary x

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    Yes, I have recycled lace from knickers - it was red cotton broderie anglaise! How could I throw it away??

Plant smiles, grow laughter, harvest love... dancingqueen's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    anything's fair game, as far as i'm concerned!!!

Mad Grandma of 7 wonderful Grand Kids Linda B's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (33)
    Don't think there is ever anything on my serviceable knickers are worth saving but I do cut the ribbons loops and buttons off. I did keep the floral edge off a pair of old pillowcases as it was so pretty - haven't used it yet though...
    Linda B

sometimes I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe materialgirl197's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (21)
    Anything goes as far as I'm concerned. Leanie - love those knickers. Wouldn't be caught dead in them, but would look lovely on a LO
    JUDITH

My blog
    Tell Me A Story CJ(host)
    Mojo Busters aka Cadubury's CJ

Make EVERY day your new blank canvas cantstopstampin's Avatar
    No longer in my little village, still in Staffs, but I AM happy !
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (15)
    I've used an old duvet cover which had quite a beautiful border flowered edge - my cats had ragged all around the edges so I cut the middle pattern square out and used it as a complete background on one of my LO's a couple of years ago now.

I have even used the packaging from pork chops - it was a lovely black shiny plastic and I couldn't resist - after a good wash it was great.

I used the foiled containers from takeaways - and the coke-cola drinks cans through my cuttlebug.

I've used laces from shoes, buckles from belts - and leather from my old crafting chair which is going to the tip this weekend....................it hadn't occurred to me before, we chucked out a leather suite a few months ago - and I didn't strip the leather off - on the auction site I have recently paid nearly £10 for two squares of leather for a journal - that suite would have made 20 journals ! Next time, I sell the squares on the auction site and make some bloomin money.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (4)
    Love it! Great idea fir recycling sofa leather

I have used lace and material from underwear, in some ways I find it more palatable to use it in craft projects than to put into recycling banks or to charity.... Not sure who would choose to have my huge washed out undies!!! Lol

Veni, Vidi,Visa.... I came, I saw, I shopped :D ScrappyDandyDoo's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    I suppose it depends on what you are making with them too - I have no qualms whatsover using vintage lace and I have no idea what it was used for previously.
    But not sure I would send somebody a card using lace from knickers

tricky one really!!

So many photos, so little time g61's Avatar
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopstampin View Post
    I've used an old duvet cover which had quite a beautiful border flowered edge - my cats had ragged all around the edges so I cut the middle pattern square out and used it as a complete background on one of my LO's a couple of years ago now.

I have even used the packaging from pork chops - it was a lovely black shiny plastic and I couldn't resist - after a good wash it was great.

I used the foiled containers from takeaways - and the coke-cola drinks cans through my cuttlebug.

I've used laces from shoes, buckles from belts - and leather from my old crafting chair which is going to the tip this weekend....................it hadn't occurred to me before, we chucked out a leather suite a few months ago - and I didn't strip the leather off - on the auction site I have recently paid nearly £10 for two squares of leather for a journal - that suite would have made 20 journals ! Next time, I sell the squares on the auction site and make some bloomin money.
    You are truly the Queen of upcycling!
    Margo

I'm a member of Scrap Happens, in the Blue Brads House

View Gallery

Question

it's just the acid-free question that stops me using other stuff in scrapbooks. Anyone else worried about that? it even worries me when i add ticket stubs etc

Dedicated Scrapper GuernseyGirl's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (11)
    Quote Originally Posted by leanie View Post
    I think if they're anything like these, it'd be a shame not to recycle them!
    (warning, risque content!)
    http://rufflepanties.net/wp-content/...le-panties.jpg
    ooh, love these - shame I don't have her figure to wear something like that!!!
    Naomi

My Blog

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Yes I do worry about things being acid free as I want my scrapbooks to act as memoriy books and last as long as possible so I'm very careful about what I put on my pages.